Water Cooling Towers Near the Palais 1928

Those buildings appeared when the Guildhall was built in 1887/9 And the Fire Station moved to them from the old prison site around the same time.I think you'll find that that whole area including the yard was Fire Brigade property.They even had a row of firemans cottages built (arrowed)...Police business and cells were mostly incorporated into the main Guildhall building.

Both Fire and Police stations were of course moved to front onto Shakespeare Street sometime in the 20th century.

This is 1916...

2ug10rk.jpg

And here's a thing...You know how we say today that after 20/30 years Nottingham looks completely different? Look at that area just a few years before the Guildhall was built.

Lo and behold!...A cattle market.

m8h4dd.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting...Huntingdon Street was known as Millstone Lane then...and they are water cooling towers..which in turn means a water supply. There is an underground stream there,which was used in earlier

The water cooling towers stood on the site of the present Litmus Building at 195 Huntingdon St., formerly the site of Huntingdon St. Bus Station. The towers were steam condensers for a power station a

they should have kept that building and could have called it Nottingham Castle lol

Posted Images

Michael,

I did the same a few years back, having got the grave numbers from the council (http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/article/21822/Cemeteries-crematoriums-and-burial-grounds).

While I found the headstone of one Gt Grandfather who died in 1911, another grave for another ancestor who died in the 1840s had had the headstone removed so I was only able to find the general location of his grave.

The General Cemetery is like an oasis of calm considering the noise from the tram at one end, and Canning Circus at the other.

• Upvote 1

The Nottinghamshire Family History Society is recording all the gravestones in each Nottm cemetery, most likely you'd have to buy a CD of them eventually. I'm no longer a member so I don't know how far they've got, etc.

• Upvote 1

Harking back a few months to the film from 1944 , They Knew Mr Knight , to the Guildhall scene you can see the actress supposedly inside the Guildhall court and then leaving the front door (at about 40 secs ) and walking to the side where the police car exits .

Looking on Streetview this part of the building no longer exists .

I've not been around for a few days so I've only just caught up on this thread. On the subject of the water towers, they don't seem to have been there in the 1880s......

water1887.jpg

...but they were there by the 1920s....

water1912.jpg

The large building above the water towers shown on the 2nd map posted by cliff is now the gala bingo, what was it originally?

Regarding the water towers, is it possible that it was connected to the brickworks that are shown on the map, possibly by an underground pipeline?

The water towers are not shown on a 1899 map.

The large building above the water towers shown on the 2nd map posted by cliff is now the gala bingo, what was it originally?

This. Originally a cinema, but turned to bingo a long time ago. Probably been bingo longer than a cinema.

victoriacin.jpg

Mick the building to the left of the gala bingo on the streetview shown is now an indoor climbing centre, to the side of that is some large transformers, that were possibly something to do with the early tram, but I think that if the transformers were related to the tram they would have been removed years ago

Geez Mick, that last picture of yours must be in the middle of a bloody big red light district!

Sign reads 'Humps for 2 miles'. slywink

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

The water cooling towers stood on the site of the present Litmus Building at 195 Huntingdon St., formerly the site of Huntingdon St. Bus Station. The towers were steam condensers for a power station at the rear of the site, the building is still there.

The power station was built in early 1902 to provide power for the trams.

Power was generated by a two phase 3 wire 400v DC generator. The generator supplied 200v-0-200v centre tapped to earth, each alternate 200v phase supplied houses in St Anns; the 400v supplied the tram network and some factories with large electric motors.

The advantage of using direct current -DC, at the time was that it charged a bank of accumulators during the day and at night the generator was turned off for eight hours and switched over to 'batteries'. Light bulbs on 200v gave a warm dim light -but never burnt out.

However the disadvantages were legion; appliance and light switches flashed when you switched them off and the slightest damp caused oxidisation of terminals -they turned to copper oxide and ceased to conduct. Voltage dropped the further the consumer lived from the power station and lights dimmed. Unlike alternating current -AC mains, you cannot use a transformer on DC to step the voltage back up [to 240v] so a number of small power stations were built, each covered an area of the city.

The power station continued to supply DC after the change over to trolley-buses, but the cooling towers became redundant when the generator was provided with an AC supply from the National Grid, a transformer was installed and a DC supply taken from a bank of mercury arc rectifiers until around 1959.

The generator buildings and the transformer station are still there.

post-7382-0-02765300-1447110817_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Very good post james.g

Bub #11 >"Corporation Electric Light Generating Station."<

In my house at W.B., built 1920/21, there is still a redundant cast iron fuse box, cast into the lid is the legend

`N.C.E.D.` I think that`s safe to presume Nottm. Corporation Electricity Department. The term `Corporation`

in common use in my young days, e.g., `N. Corp. Buses,` `N. Corp. Water` etc., as opposed to the currently

used term `City`.