I'm going off grid, but I would like an on grid set up for the workshop. Over here each state has it's own rules, some have regulations that the utility has to pay you wholesale prices for electricity generated, other like mine give you credit.

The house set up at the moment, is five banks of four 6 volt batteries, two pure sine wave 4Kw inverters, one in use until load increases, then the other kicks in. System is 24 volt with 120-0-120 output.

This week the order goes in for some pretty hefty cables, hopefully I'll be changing circuits over to the system in a few weeks time.

I have four solar modules rated at just over 7 amps each, 12 more to get ordered next month, one double wind generator and a single wind generator, both should take "up the slack" in windy dull days.

With four banks of four solar modules I should be generating around 112 amps on full sun days.

Just completed the conduit run from the battery house to the transfer switch on the front of the house to carry the mains voltage to the house breakers.

You have the disadvantage of the English weather,Basfordlad. Let me tell you my tale. I used to pay at least $1000 a quarter before installing panels a few years ago. I now have 2 systems. One is simply for hot water and I NEVER have to switch on my electric water heater.

The other system brings in a regular rebate of around $600 a quarter. (so a saving of $1000+ $600). I have gas from the same company so I pay my gas bill with my electric rebate! I then have money left over which I transfer to a little cottage in Victoria which is with the same company.

Ah you ask why don`t I put panels on the roof in Victoria?(and save more money).

Answer 44cents /unit in South Australia and only 6 cents /unit in Victoria.

With the huge coastline around UK ,wind ,wave and water are the way to go. Australia is ruled by corrupt fools!. We have Vast amounts of gas which we are flogging to Asia at $1 dollar/unit ,which with a bit of thought and value adding could be worth $30/unit at least. With all the sun`s rays falling on us we could eliminate all imports of energy. Corrupt politicians !!!.

Good grief Stan 44 cents a unit, and Victoria is cheaper than us here in Missouri, we pay around 9 cents a unit.

I dont particularly like the house or where it is, but I do admire the ability to be self sufficient with power bills etc.

I am by no means a "greenie" but hate waste and being a sparky by trade before I retired I am firmly behind solar power and wind power as alternative energy systems.

My 5th wheeler RV is fully solar powered and capable of staying off grid permanently if we wish. I also talked a friend into having full solar on his retirement unit, he has never had an electricity bill in 4 years so far, but he does travel a few months of the year, and his unit pushes the excess power back into the grid while he is away.

His account is always in credit.

• Upvote 1