After spending £150,000 to buy the former factory in Nottingham, the couple invested a further £500,000 to knock the building down, decontaminate the land and build the property.

They must be bloody mad...for money like that I'd have a place overlooking a loch or a lake built with the same spec.Not down a soddin' back street.

• Upvote 5

More money than sense.

Personally, I think it sticks out like a sore thumb, it looks so odd next to the terrace house. It might be cheap to run, but looks so sterile, I'd much rather live in something that looked a bit cosier.

• Upvote 4

I've seen these projects on "Grand Designs" and the like. It's great being Eco Friendly when you spend thousands on these gimmicks, but not everyone is flushed with cash. Anyway I don't like oddities like grass on the roof and other useless ideas.

Eco friendly my ar5e, bung some more coal ont fire lass.

• Upvote 1

I agree 100% with you poohbear (#2). I also understand that people have different dreams and different goals in life. The couple had the money and they chose to build the house of their dreams. They've achieved this and are very happy and content together and, for me, that's worth more than any amount of money. Like you, poohbear, I can't understand why he would want to build it in that location but who am I to say where he should live. Good luck to them and I hope they win the award.

• Upvote 2

Nice post #7 Michael, but they look a pair of smug, holier than thou self satisfied folk to me.

I reiterate, if I'd got that cash, it'd be country or coast or both for me. Still, if that's what they are happy with, who am I to criticise them.

THE LENTON HYSON GREEN PARTNERSHIP COUNCIL HAVE PURCHACED A PROPERTY ON ST PAUKS TERRACE HYSON GREEN AND WORK HAS BEEN DON ON IT TO CHANGE IT INTO A ECO HOUSE AND WILL WHEN OFFICIALY OPENEN IN A COUPLEOF WEEKS BE USED FOR VARIOUS COMMUNITY EVENTS SKILLS EXCHANGE BREAKFAST MORNINGS. AND EVENTS TO ENCOURAGE MORE PEOPLE TO GO ECO SOLAR PANELS LIGHT BULBS GROWING YOUR OWN FOOD IN CONTAINERS ECT LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING TO SEE IT.

Never been convinced of Solar Panels, surely natural resources are being used, ie glass, steel and aluminium etc. does the initial cost ever make them worth while? Perhaps one of you engineering chaps can enlighten me. They do look unsightly stuck on estate housing.

Tree huggers we call them folk, how will they go on when flies start breeding down the bog? perfect environment for the fly, warm plenty of muck to live on and plenty of hiding places for the maggots, still not far from the trent if he needs to use the maggots for fishing with

• Upvote 2

That's what I like Bilboro-lad a cynical outlook just like mine. Well put.

If I was employing an architect, I'd want him to look professional, not like an out of work lecturer.

• Upvote 1

SEVERAL OF OUR FRIENS HAVE GOT THEM FITTED AND ALL ARE HAPPY WITH THE SAVINGS THEY ARE MAKINGONEFRIED HAS ONLY HAD THEM FOR ONE QUARTER BUT HER BILLS HAVE ALREADY SHOWN A SAVING ON THE PREVIOUS YEARS BILL FOR THE SAME TIME. OTHER FRIENDS HAVE HAD THEM FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW AND HAVE ALREADY HAD THE MONEY BACK THEY PAID FOR THEM AND MADE BIG SAVINGS ON THERE FULE BILLS, THEY ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THEM THEYOF COURSE GOT THERES WHEN THE PERDENTAGE YOU GOT BACK WAS OVER 50 PERCENT I BELIVE THIS HAS NOW GONEDOWN TO SOMETHING LIKE ONLY 11 PERCENT..

Tree huggers we call them folk, how will they go on when flies start breeding down the bog? perfect environment for the fly, warm plenty of muck to live on and plenty of hiding places for the maggots, still not far from the trent if he needs to use the maggots for fishing with

I am what you call a Tree Hugger, and I also have a wood shaving toilet, they DO NOT SMELL if looked after correctly.

• Upvote 2

We watched a programme the other week, on one of the sky channels I think. The House That Tommy (Walsh) Built. He had £60,000 to spend on it building wise and 60 days to do it in. And it looked a lot more in keeping than the one shown here. It was quite interesting the ideas they had to keep it eco friendly, including using recycled rainwater for the toilet and washing etc.

As regards the compost loo, my brother lived on a Piod in Wales for over 10 years, in a caravan (he was a traveller) and he built his own compost loo. It never smelt at all and never had a fly problem. If they are managed properly they are fine.

Never been convinced of Solar Panels, surely natural resources are being used, ie glass, steel and aluminium etc. does the initial cost ever make them worth while? Perhaps one of you engineering chaps can enlighten me. They do look unsightly stuck on estate housing.

We have solar panels because we are not connected to the main electricity system, so all my electricity comes from them, we have had them for over 15 years, I once calculated they have now paid for themselves, so now my electricity is free, the only problem I have with them is they have to be cleaned regally, and Iam nowadays not too happy with heights..

I recall one solar module manufacturer was using electricity from solar panels to make theirs.

Modern ones do have high impact glass over them to protect them, and yes they have an aluminium case around them.

Most these days are made in China, but I think even they are finding it hard to compete with companies in Canada, Germany and the US.

They are a fraction of the price from when I first looked into them 30 years back, they are also more efficient and have a longer life, pity battery technology hasn't kept pace with them.

Solar panels in this country are not as green as you think. People say they save money......... err no they seem to because the government give you some of my taxes to make it seem that way. If you had to buy an array to provide you with all your needs at todays prices it would tighten your trousers.

Even the feed in tariff is a joke, we don't yet have a meter that can record electricity going both ways and make the switch. So the powers that be look at the potential generating power of your array and pay you half of what it should generate whether it does or not.

As to the Meadows Eco house they say it only cost £300 per annum to run. My duel fuel bill is just over £1000 per annum meaning a saving of £700 a year. Those two will be long dead before they get anywhere near their money back. In fact its a good possibility that the house will fall down before it pays for itself.