Nottingham Falcons Trent University

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm supposed to do what,, jump and flap some feathers? I'm only 6 weeks old you know.  

Looks like there are visitors potentailly looking for a home for this year.  

It's here  

Hope the holiday did you good Jackson! They're still there but disappear round the corner a lot. Apparently they've all been practicing flying but even though I watch several times a day I'm yet to witness it. All I ever seem to see is the 3 of them running up and down the runway flapping their wings

Welcome back Jackson, you have been missed. We have kept our eye on the babes and as LizzieM reports they are all safe and well.

:biggrin: Hi Mick, thanks for the welcome. I'll certainly try to make the next 'meet up' - any chance for this 'Grand Old Dame' to look glamorous, been out of the spotlight for too long. :biggrin:

PS: No sign of the falcons, fingers crossed............................

weer's yo bin ? Jackson!!!

Hey you might like this. Last weekend we met a lady that is now part of our dog world & she now calls us family

She arrived in a limo & had lunch delivered by the driver for all of us & we came to find out her husband wrote a lot of the screenplays for Alfred Hitchcock , The Birds & other stuff like The Blackboard Jungle etc He died in 2005

His name was Evan Hunter.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been past the Newton Building a couple of times in the last few days Michael and each time I've seen a couple of them on the ledge above the nest. They've become rather camera shy now but they're still hanging around.

They'll more than likely hang around with Mum and Dad for a little while still, learning to hunt and fend for themselves. They'll still be in the vicinity and still being weary of their surroundings and locale, before setting off on a long flight to Northern Africa and as far over to the East as Saudi Arabia.

I was looking on the Internet last night and found that the highest recorded speed of a Peregrine falcon is 242 mph. The only thing I know about birds is that they like my garden. That's because of all the birdseed and the bird baths are always topped up. I never thought they would fly that fast, though.

Yup , fastest creature to have ever lived on earth is our mate The Peregrine.
I've been lucky enough to see them hunting and catching on numerous occasions , but I'm pretty sure I've not seen them hit that sort of speed !!

:biggrin: Hi Beefsteak, what would we do without you and your incredible knowledge on birds?; how fortunate we were to have been able to watch the Peregrines recently.

PS: Birds and Birdsong; 'These are a Few of My Favourite Things'.

The needle tail swift is one of the worlds fastest birds in actual flight at over 100 mph unlike the peregrine which is the fastest moving...in a stoop.

One of these thousands of miles off it's normal route has created huge twitcher activity in the Hebrides...unfortunately the poor sod flew into a ruddy wind turbine and died instantly.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/camilla-swift/2013/06/the-sad-tale-of-the-white-throated-needletail-and-the-outer-hebridean-wind-turbine/

• 9 months later...

Just heard on Radio Nottm. Brilliant.

Wonderful news. I've been checking every day (from America) but not been able to get on NTU Falcons today as the laptop is playing up and I'm not able to get the site on my iPad. Let's hope they all fledge successfully and none come to the fate of Storm, bless her.

How exciting.

I wondered if that might be the case earlier. The parent bird on the nest was very restless, and couldn't seem to get comfortable.

And on the day that we have just heard that our 9th grandchild is on the way, due in November. What a day for lovely news :jumping:

• Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham Falcons Trent University