Nottingham Falcons Trent University

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm supposed to do what,, jump and flap some feathers? I'm only 6 weeks old you know.  

Looks like there are visitors potentailly looking for a home for this year.  

It's here  

For a couple of years I have been following the Florida Eagles, exactly the same kind of thing that we are experiencing watching the Nottm Falcons. The first year there were three eaglets, but one suddenly died in the nest. Two survived and then two babes this year.

There has been tragedy's both years, with accidents, attacks and deaths occurring. The "Pecking Order" really shows up when there are only two babes. Many times the bigger one would make a swift peck at the others head, resulting in the one being attacked, just laying down and keeping its head down, until it was safe to try feeding again.

#468. I apologise for accidentally losing my picture, I wanted to reduce some of the build up in PB and removed the wrong one. The picture that nonnaB took following it of the chicks around the camera is more or less the same shot, so the moment is not lost.

All the little birds have just been fed further along the ledge and have started to make their way back to the nest site. They are looking so big now that they are losing their baby feathers.

8f95a6b9-d4b6-4dc3-9d09-412807740fa8.png

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't managed to get a shot of the Falcons for a few days; it could be bad timing or they have fledged. Here is my best effort Mr/Miss Lonely. Just after I took this picture, the Falcon took off running up the ledge and disappeared around the corner. Perhaps to join its family. Who Knows. The last egg hatched on April 24th, so the six weeks to fledgling is now up as of yesterday. Perhaps they will be back to feed, hopefully we will get another picture.

a96dafb5-98a7-482c-9957-464de58b186c.png

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid that one has a broken left leg carni....I was watching it earlier and it could hardly hop around....not good when it has to hunt for itself.It was holding that leg all stiff and keeps raising it's foot.

I did wonder if it was OK while I was watching it earlier. I thought it looked a bit weak and unstable. It certainly managed to run along the ledge at speed. I don't know a great deal about wildlife, but if it is injured,I suppose it wont be able to hunt for food. What are its chances of survival?

Not good once the adults stop feeding. It may adapt and the leg will heal...but still stiff it will hamper the very important first few months when it will have to hunt for itself.

Chicks that age are prone to failing to learn the skills necessary without having a handicap.

It has made it back down the ledge alright, but as you say if the parents stop bringing food, it will get weaker and weaker until the inevitable happens. So sad.

I have seen some tragedies while I have been watching the Falcons and The Florida Eagles. It's very sad, and even worse when there are laws to stop people from intervening. I will keep watching the Falcon, even more so now. I have all my hopes on its survival

Yes and they also helped Ozzy when he was injured, only to lose out to his love rival in the end. I haven't been on the Eagles for a while, the last I saw was when an owl attacked one of the growing eagles, and people were searching for it. Do you know the outcome of that.

What with the Eagles, Falcons and Humming birds, I am turning into a proper Bird Watcher. So very interesting.

I just had a quick look and it seems as though E8 Eagle is recovering well. Good News.

It's been a while since I have watched them, but an Owl attacked one of the birds twice one night, and the bird went missing. the last I heard was that a search was on for it. I'm afraid I didn't get on site to see when it was found, but I think it will be on one of their videos.

EDIT

If you read the Blog on the Eagle site, there is reference to the Owl attack. Apparently E8 was missing for a week, but he is diong wellin the care of CROW.

Michael, It might be the little Falcon with the broken leg, it's hard to tell in the dark. If it is a parent, I hope it hurries up and takes some food for the injured babe.

• Upvote 1

I am really sad to say that I have just watched the last of the falcons, struggle back along the ledge. It picked up the remains of food on a feather, and almost fell into the nest. It has now just been pecking at the sign at the back of the nest, ending with it just laying down in the corner. I will try to send an EMail to see if it can be helped ,but I don't hold much hope. I will not add anymore pictures of the bird unless it looks as though there is an improvement. I will keep adding an update of information though.

a4b6d4bb-2bf4-4da2-aa3c-58424203e454.png

I looked a few times this morning Carni but it was nowhere to be seen. Hope it gets help

This is the first sighting I have had since the 6th. Thankfully the injured Falcon is still being fed, after this picture was taken, the adult Falcon removed the carcass and the injured bird hobbled along the ledge and round the corner. Speaking with the "Nottm Wildlife Tust"I was informed that they are monitoring the Falcon, but don't want to intervene in case they cause it more stress. They likened it to the same as when we are injured, we need time to recover. Fingers crossed.

a9e44c80-bba5-4fe3-a1fe-ccdf2bdf951b.png

• Upvote 2

I'm not so sure what it is, but if you look up the ledge you will see a black object. It wasn't there when I took my picture in the last half hour. I don't like the look of it.

Just looked Carni I'm afraid it does look like a bird but I hope not

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham Falcons Trent University