Nottingham Falcons Trent University

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm supposed to do what,, jump and flap some feathers? I'm only 6 weeks old you know.  

Looks like there are visitors potentailly looking for a home for this year.  

It's here  

Still alive but struggling....not good.

It should be on its feet not lying down.I'm afraid its not going to make it.

It would probably flap off the ledge if anyone tried to rescue it.

It seems to be making its way along the ledge and round the corner. I saw it back at the half way point on the ledge again a few minutes ago, but it is to dark for me to make it out anymore.

I got this quick shot this morning; it would have been better on camera 2 as that would have been more of a close up and not the ledge, but no time to change as they can fly off suddenly. The one Falcon was on the ledge preening itself for a while and also nestling down in the nest as they did when preparing it for laying eggs? The second bird flew in with a small amount of food, a quick tussle ensued and the one flew from the nest (as in my picture) all over in one minute. There was no limping, so I don't think either bird was the injured one?

0ce3dc13-d0f0-4596-a3c5-0b73736d348e.png

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

I have been watching the Falcons come and go all week but this is the first time I have caught one preparing the scrape. It must be coming up to laying time. I was a bit dubious as to the reaction from the birds; as it looks as though there has been a new box added, judging by the nice clean shale? and colour of the box and signs. They will soon make it more homely!!!!

0959fcae-ab83-4f3d-823f-bd5b72c00eed.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just as I clicked onto the Falcons, the camera zoomed in to a close up, it doesn't happen very often so I couldn't resist this opportunity. Doesn't it look great close up.

0c395c7f-d0f3-4c55-8dcc-16626ad184f8.png

• Upvote 6

Great shot isn't it?  Looks like they've got better cameras up there this year.  I'll get nothing done soon, I'll be spending all my time watching these beauties. Well done Carni

• Upvote 3

This image was taken on no1 camera, the long shot of the ledge as well as the scrape.. It has been out of action for a while, and a notice was put on the site to say a new one was on order. I check every day,and just as I tuned in today, the camera zoomed in to the Falcon sitting on the ledge. I wanted to get a full face picture, but didn't want to push my luck. As it happened the bird took off just after my screen print key was pressed. I thought that half a face is better than none.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing that the laying of a second egg  was imminent, I have been all agog with anticipation and my vigil has just paid off. Mrs Perigrine was showing all the signs of an egg about to be laid. At approximately 4mins past nine, out popped no 2 egg, What a privilege to see the event take place. It took a few more minutes before she moved enough for me to be sure and to get a picture.You can just make out the two eggs.

8671a854-e479-45cc-a862-e9ceaafb1ba8.png

• Upvote 5

Sometime during the night Egg No3 was laid, all appeared to be OK when I had a look but no chance for a pic; just setting up to take one when the Perigrine flew back in and laid straight back on them. She must have been out for breakfast. I haven't spotted the Tercel at all while I have been watching. Perhaps he will be around when the brooding starts.

In the few days before the first egg was born, I did witness some kind of stand off between the new male (that was hanging around last year) and the female, it definitely was some kind of argument. It appeared that the female had won, because after a few minutes of heads bowed and lots of angry tweeting, the one with the  ring on its ankle, flew off and I haven't seen him since.  For now there is peace!

• Upvote 1

Great stuff Carni,I've been watching them a bit on Notts tv,you seem to have adopted,mama Carni

Rog

Haha, Quite unintentional Rog. I just seem to have drifted into it. Mind you I do spend a lot of time watching the goings on up there on the ledge. I always look at the live Falcon site as well, as a weather watch, I know at first hand what the weather is doing in Nottm. To be honest I didn't realise the falcons are on another site as well, Notts tv you say. I must have a look to see if I am missing anything! I hope I am not overloading everyone with Falcon coverage.

mama carni signing off, Like it!:)

• Upvote 2

I've been trying to watch them but can't get a picture. Better reception at home than in Scotland.

Finally managed to get a view of the situation. We now have four eggs, and not only that but for the first time, I managed to get a picture of the four eggs and the two birds. I was beginning to get worried because I hadn't seen the Tersel since the day they had the tiff. Anyway it looks as if all is well. As I clicked in, the female stood up, revealing the four eggs and they swapped places, the female flew off for food and Tersel laid on the eggs. It appeared to have a tag on the ankle so it is probably the one mentioned earlier, come down from London. Now for the long wait.

172a24ca-4a24-4fe6-8ca2-0ad2f3917ed0.png

• Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham Falcons Trent University