In the Moving House topic the other day, Firbeck mentions good parties. I remember some fantastic and hilarious do's in the early to late 60's. Main venues being Magdala Rd, Mapperley Hall Drive, The Park. These spring immediately to mind. So let's have your party memories, nothing too lurid or incriminating. Oh, go on then!

Hi Basfordred, you do realise that this topic will reveal that some of us were at the same parties doing naughty things at the same time !!!!!!!!!

Parties on Magdala road, hope drive and Lenton road the park, Radford boulevard, Noel street flats were the best !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I'll start it off then. A crowd of us went to a do on Magdala Rd, early 60's. It was up for sale and unoccupied. Someone got the power on and a fire was lit which entailed us stripping shelving etc. some of the floor boards got burnt. It was originally up for over 8k, the week after, it was on for 6k.

The places to hear of parties on Saturday nights was. The Bell, Yates's , The Black Boy and the upstairs Cocktail Lounge of the Spread Eagle on Goldsmith St. We'd get our drink from Yates's off licence on Market St. Great days. More tales later LOL.

• Upvote 1

The "Hot Chocolate" ?

We must have all been at the same parties in the 60s then !

I can remember going to plenty in the Park in the late 60s . I have an image of going to one and to be honest not much was happening , everybody just lazing around in a dimly lit room but they were playing the album Hot Buttered Soul by Isaac Hayes , an album I didn't know .

I thought it was the coolest album I had ever heard and went out the next week and bought it . If I ever hear any of the tracks now , it always takes me back to parties in the Park ! Not that much exciting ever happened to me at one !

Think we all must have been to the Magdala road parties at some time. Another few we went to that stand out was one on Gordon road St Anne's,, and another on Grange road Woodthorpe.

The one on Gordon road stands out as I became a man, so to speak, but will leave it there.

The house on Grange road was a huge place owned by one of our mates step dads (he drove a Bentley the dad), the parents were always off somewhere on holidays so Glen decided to have a big party while they were away but for select attendee's only !

Well about 300 turned up as the address had been leaked on Long row earlier. The mini boys all came and god knows who else, but the house and garden took a battering and poor Glen was looking for digs afterwards.

He ended up living above his mum's hairdressing shop on Alfreton road where even more wild parties became the norm.

It was an amazing party though !

Another was at up near Wilford hill, again a massive up market house, and one memorable thing was the young ladies outnumbered the guys by about 3-1 so a good time was had by all.

One thing that strikes me now is even though these parties were rife, the was very little aggro, just "peace love and rock and roll" oh and a fair bit of hanky panky with the opposite sex ! :-)

Another of my mates had a Bedford Dormobile and if the weather was not too cold a fairly decent party could be held in the back for a few select couples ! especially parked up outside the Britania club Trentside, say no more nod nod.

And finally a weird one was up in Matlock bath, we had been pot holing and decided to stay the night after hearing of a house up on the high ridge that was derelict but seemed to have a party going on most weekends. We got in easily as the boarded up windows had been unboarded previously by someone, we lit a fire in the huge fireplace and all sat around playing Bob Dillons early music from a cassette player and drinking.

Suddenly we heard noises from the upper floors and after building up courage we climbed up to find another crowd, again outnumbered by young ladies doing similar at the back of the house but 2 floors up !

The floor was missing in some areas so it was quite hairy in the dark but we had our caving lights with us.

We joined forces and had a great time between us all and next day headed back to nottm and never saw any of the other crowd ever again.

• Upvote 2

A crowd of us had heard there was one in the Park one Saturday, early 60's. There was , as usual some confusion over the address.

We banged on the door about two or three times and a light came on and a old lady about 70+ appeared carrying a small white Scottie dog. She said there was no party and that we should leave. Suddenly one of the crowd strummed his acoustic guitar and her eyes lit up. She led us inside and it just seemed a normal, large, old house until she took us down into the basement. It was dimly lit, the walls were all painted black, and there was a small wooden stage in one corner. We brought all our beer in, a couple of people sang and the old lady started dancing around with the little dog in her arms. We all had a great time until the excitement got the better of the dog and it crapped itself in the middle of the floor. The old lady became very disturbed until I went outside and grabbed a large pair of pink bloomers off the clothesline and wiped up the mess. Not being able to find a bin in the yard I just threw it over the fence into next doors garden. The next morning she made us all toast and marmalade and thanked us for providing her with a nights entertainment.

I never knew if anyone else lived there, but we had an unexpected and fun night.

I have not mentioned the old ladies name to protect the innocent as they say.

I was not a party animal, obviously, after reading everyone's postings, I only ever got invited to one party that I remember. Some of us girls who hung out in the clubhouse at the bowling alley, were invited to the party of a couple who were members. It was to be the following Saturday night, supposedly an all-nighter. So we all told our parents the story that we'd be spending the night at one of the other girl's homes. This was a time when you were in at night at a reasonable hour, you just didn't stay out all night. So we took the bus to Burton Joyce to the party. The hosts had obviously had a falling out, she wasn't speaking to him, and for some reason had crawled under the sideboard! Why, I'll never know, but the atmosphere in that house was a tad chilly. When it got late, as in no buses still running, the couple decided it was 'everybody out'. Now what to do? No buses running and nowhere to go. Some kind samaritan said we could all go home with him, so we went to his flat in West Bridgford, he gave up his bed for us, and the 4 of us girls slept like sardines in his double bed. Nearby there was a church clock that struck every 15 bloody minutes, I never slept a wink. We took buses home the next morning, so much for our first (and last in my case) all night rave-up.

• Upvote 3

Oh Katy, that did make me laugh! My pals and I would tell porkies to our parents too, about staying at friends overnight, I suppose we all did it. There was one Saturday night, the end of Goose Fair, and we'd all got it planned, we were staying at each other's houses as far as parents were concerned. Friends of ours, a brother and sister called Paddy and Deirdre, invited us to stay at their house up Sherwood Rise somewhere so at midnight several of us went to the house. We all sat chatting away, don't think there was any booze as we were a little underage for that malarkey. Suddenly the father of Paddy and Deidre appeared in the grand sitting room in just his underpants, we didn't even know that he was home at the time. He yelled at us and told us to clear off. Well, where do you go at 1 am on a drizzly October night, with no money and having told our parents we were staying with friends. So, we walked down Mansfield Road into town and went and sat by an air vent outside the Beachcomber where an all-nighter was going on. We couldn't get in as we'd spent all our money at the fair, but there was warm air coming our way! Hung about in town until a sensible time to go home on the Sunday morning.

Another time 2 or 3 of us gals were walking across Trent Bridge towards town when a mini-bus pulled up, full of young men, who asked us if we wanted to go to a party. We jumped in, thinking about it we must have been totally crazy, and ended up at Langar RAF station (I think, correct me if there wasn't one there). Had a good night and we were actually pretty lucky because a lad we knew was also there and he gave us a ride home next morning, good job because Langar was the back of beyond to us!!

• Upvote 3

Langar as far as I know, was a Canadian air base, perhaps the RAF used it afterwards, or as well? Good story Lizzie, funny how we both got our plans scuppered, and had to find alternative places for the rest of the night. I'm sure kids today just tell their parents, I'm going to an all night party, don't wait up. Things certainly have changed.

IN 1959 LANGAR,was a Canadian air force base,we went there from Bestwood youth club to play them at football and Basketball,it was a fabulous day,they made us really welcome,at the night they threw us a party and to us 15 yrr olds it was like being in a film,just like "Grease".They had a rock n roll band and they had service men singing like,rick nelson,fabian,elvis and Paul Anka,(not actually them but looking and sounding like em).i will never forget that day and night and the hospitality.

The Blues (Shebeens) I used to go to in the mid 60s were in the Tennyson Street, Larkdale Street area.

These were amazing affairs with as good a sound system that could be rustled up and usually that was some broken down early Hi Fi in a teak cabinet with a couple of extra speakers to help the bass. Some cans of beer/lager............ I recall Long Life requiring an opener to pierce the top (cool if you carried your own!) . Not quite sure of the prices for the beer but I seem to recall 4 shillings, I think it might have been half a crown at the Off Licence.

We used to walk up there from the L Shaped Room and then later in the early morning back to the L Shaped Room cos it didn't close!

The music was great one big do on Tennyson Street in 1966 had Laurel Aitken and some of his mates from London playing live in the front room.

They were great times and back in 1965 Marijuana was not illegal...........it was cheaper than the beer.

Went to one on Burns St, and yes, the beer was expensive.

I should like here on behalf of these all night piss'eads to apologise to all the neighbours of these venues for keeping you awake half the night with the unholy racket blasting out at all hours.It must have been a nightmare.

• Upvote 3