Anyone interested in WWI?

Was sorting a few bits and bobs out around the house earlier, and I came across an old book that I had taken as a keepsake from my Grandfather's house when he passed away in 2012, God bless him. It's titled 'Covenants With Death' and I believe it was published in 1934 by the Daily Express to show real effects of war.Some of the pictures inside are truly graphic and horrifying so I was wondering if anyone else was familiar with the book? Or if anyone is interested I could always scan some of the photos from it for anyone with a particular interest in WWI.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first war recorded in history,was between Sumer ( Iraq ) and Elam ( part of modern Iran) 2700 BC. 'The Great War' (WW1) was the 'war to end wars'),the first war on a global scale, land,sea, and a

Was sorting a few bits and bobs out around the house earlier, and I came across an old book that I had taken as a keepsake from my Grandfather's house when he passed away in 2012, God bless him. It's

It is ANZAC Day here in Australia tomorrow and dawn services in the cities and small country towns will remember those that made the supreme sacrifice. The last post will sound and the ode recite

Melissa, I for one would be very interested in the contents of the book and I am sure that there will be many more on this site with the same deep interest in the history of WW1.

• Upvote 1

Hey there Trevor! I will warn others that the content is VERY graphic. So not for the faint hearted.

The book itself is very interesting though. Mostly amateur pictures so a really good insight into the brutality and tragedy of war. I shall get scanning over the weekend for you :)

Before the world got politically correct and overprotective of our morals and feelings, there was no issue with such publications.

I remember Life magazine issues that my folks had collected back in the 50s. The magazines were the size of todays newspapers.

I clearly recollect many issues that covered the war in the Pacific, step by step, as the Allies took control of the islands on their path to Japan. Pictures of aircraft carriers on fire and listing, planes going down in flames, islands with no vegetation left on them, bodies in all states of condition and completeness, soldiers in action. Photographs of the civilians, men, women and children, jumping from cliff tops to their deaths because they feared the American troops after the Japanese propaganda.

The whole range of the horrors of war on full page spreads in both colour and black and white, courtesy of the war correspondents and photographers of the day.

Nowadays, such pictures are too explicit for our fragile little minds...regardless of the fact that it still remains one's choice to view or not.

• Upvote 3

Haha apologises Michael I have to be up at 6am or I'd be scanning 'em for ye now!

Couldn't have said it better Trevor. And very true. I think if people were more exposed to it they'd be forced to stop being so ignorant about things. But that's the society we now live in I suppose!

You may find it on UK Gold, Yesterday ,Drama or The History Channel. Have a scroll through the channels.

• Upvote 1

My grandfather fought in WWI and was badly gassed. He survived until 1963 when the knackered lungs finally gave up the fight. I look forward to seeing your pictures Melissa.

• Upvote 1

I lost my maternal grandfather on the first day of The Battle of the Somme., and lost my paternal one, and his eldest son in The Dardanelles.

You can virtually all and any TV series ever made on line from many sources like Putlocker, Sockshare etc.

• Upvote 1

I Watched em all in the 70s and found them very interesting and informative,but this last few years my soft sentimental side has "kicked in"and now they just make me sad....as i realise the stupidity of war.

• Upvote 1

Stupid for us, maybe, but a money maker for the Banks and Industrialists who make billions out of war/s.

An American General wrote a book between WW1 and 2, I believe it was called "War Is Business" One day I'll get a copy.

Got the name wrong, "War Is A Racket" by Major General Smedley Butler.

• Upvote 1

I share your sentiments, benjamin1945 (#16) but what is the alternative?. Our beautiful planet Earth has always had people who want to rule the World. At the present time it seems to be radical Islam that is creating problems everywhere. You either let your country be ruled by them or you fight, there are no other choices. The people who say we should have dialogue with the radical Islam leaders, albeit this being the ideal solution, should realise that they won't stop until it has become a Muslim World. I could comment on the barbarity and way of life radical Islam wish to inflict on the World but it's all there on the Internet, If you've got the stomach to watch it.

• Upvote 2

A pacifist recently told me that "we should have soft dialogue " with Muslims , but have a big stick ready. My reply was "use the big stick first then talk softly" , but that's just my view.

• Upvote 2

To all right thinking men like you and i Michael" War is stupid",sorry to say this does not include Radical Islamists,and probably the only way to rid the world of em is war.Justs makes me sad thats all.

• Upvote 1

I came across this quote the other day, from a speech in Parliament by Ernest Bevin in December 1941, "The fact of it is that all of us agreed to save 6d in the Income Tax by breaking up the army in peace-time, and not having it prepared when war broke out... I will never be a party to it again."

The recent series on BBC4 about WW1 concluded the other evening with the signing of the Versailles Treaty. They mentioned that the punitive measures which ultimately caused Hitler to come to power were based primarily on France needing to get money to pay back the loans they got from the USA to fight the war.

The first war recorded in history,was between Sumer ( Iraq ) and Elam ( part of modern Iran) 2700 BC.

'The Great War' (WW1) was the 'war to end wars'),the first war on a global scale, land,sea, and air. Many of our grandfathers took part in this conflict,and were lost to their families.

My paternal grandfather died on the second day of the Somme offensive,two of my great-uncles died in the battles around Ypres.

There are many collections of photographic records that have been put on line in the last few years,some show the survivors of horrific wounds

that are very graphic.

In my humble opinion, the politicians will always start wars,and send the young men to fight them,and those that return home from war are soon forgotten after the parades end

• Upvote 4

You only need to visit Ypres, & walk through the Museum to see & hear the worst of the atrocities of war. To be at the Menin Gate at 8pm for the reveille, the feel of the place evokes such strong sentiments & feelings, especially after the museum visit...........I'm not ashamed to say it moved this fat old lump to tears, the first time.

It's continued to do the same on subsequent visits, the story of Ypres pretty much sums up the sheer waste & futility of war..............but bl**dy Hell we did it all again 21 years later......................

• Upvote 2