Wooden hut at Bulwell Market and Trent Bridge

Someone has contacted the Old Bus Photos website, to which I contribute occasionally, asking about a wooden hut that stood in Bulwell Market place in the 1940s. It was near the bank apparently. It is not certain that it was anything to do with the buses (or possibly the old trams). The question is, what was it used for, and by whom - or perhaps, what did it sell ? I stress that I do not remember this feature (only having appeared in the world for the last 11 months of the 1940s!) But the combined memory and brainpower of Nottstalgia seemed as likely a place to find the answer as anywhere. Any offers?

#1 Stephen,i have a book called "Old Bulwell" by David Ottewell,which is full of pictures of Bulwell,and theres one of the "Hut" in the 20s in the middle of the market place,with a tram in the background.doesnt mention what the Hut was for though.!

Nice one Cliff ton,same hut in the 30s?,in the pic.i have there is a tram and yours looks like a Trolley bus,same Hut though.

Cabmens' shelters were common in London

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabmen%27s_Shelter_Fund

Whether for cabbies or tram crews, maybe this one was just a one-off in Bulwell though, unless huts existed at other tram termini? There certainly was a canteen converted from an old bus at Trent Bridge for a long while.

Here's a photo of Canning Circus taken about 1900 the structure in the centre is a "cab mens" shelter.

The structure(partially hiden) behind it is a "gents" urinal.

Others were situated at Charlotte Street & Manvers Street.

NTGM018145.jpg

They were welcome to their tea at Canning Circus...a few pumps and wells round there...until it was discovered that the water was getting polluted from the nearby cemetery. thumbsdown

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting about Canning Circus - I seem to remember that the shelter there was also partially connected with the trams in horse days. Apparently trams coming up from the Market Square (which of course, was not the OLD Market Square in those days) had a second or cock-horse for Derby Road hill - in railway terms, they were double-headed ! - the cock-horse being detached at Canning Circus.

• Upvote 1

On the subject of shelters for public transport workers, here's a more basic example. Looking down Alfreton Road at the junction of Hartley Road/Bentinck Road, on the right is a small hut which was for the point-changing boy.

hut.jpg

• Upvote 1

They were welcome to their tea at Canning Circus...a few pumps and wells round there...until it was discovered that the water was getting polluted from the nearby cemetery. thumbsdown

The reason the alms houses were built close to the cemetery is less distance to do the burying cuts down on transport costs. hellothere

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

Whatever it was it appeared around 1910 and disappeared in the late thirties. The Globe building on here appears as a garage.1914.... I thought maybe a public loo...but with a chimney and telegraph pole?...maybe a trams office?

ixxmbo.jpg

apjl2g.jpg

• Upvote 1

I can't remember the 'hut' in Bulwell Mkt. we've only been here since 1965 but I'm sure the bank in the background was the Nat. Provincial, later Nat. West the pub the 'Horse &Jockey'? but I do remember the hut near the Globe but not who used it , there was a horse trough across the back of it so it probably had some history to it. There's also a small hut on the end of Turney Bros. building for police use/contact with a nice oasis of a garden area down that path to the right. Doesn't Trent Bridge look narrow between the Town Arms & Turney's!

That map is 1914 Albert

Doesn't Trent Bridge look narrow between the Town Arms & Turney's!

Glad somebody remembers it Albert...that map is 1914,don't forget the bridge and approach was widened in 1924/26

And here it is being widened in '24...

29uudz4.jpg