Hello Pianoman #13 - give me a rundown of what else was/is made in Nottm - I will always be interested!

BTW you don't know anyone who wants a harmonium, do you? Mine is 5 octave, one set of reeds ie no stops, and I need the room for more books. Buyer collects from Devon!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a very good picture, from 1949, Brough factory under the blue indicator Cooper Bros to the right against the railway. Don't know if Brough were still there at this time or whether they'd mo

That's the one I recall.

Boing! There's a new Brough being brought out soon, although the only things it has in common are the name and the number of wheels. What is interesting, though, is that they have put together a his

According to Kelly's 1950 directory

George Brough

Motor Cycles

275 Vernon Road

Basford

The building was at the junction of Roderick Street near to the Northern Baths.

Definitely still there in the 1960s.

My Mum, who passed away last month, worked on munitions at Brough's during WW2, but I don't know whtether it was in Vernon Rd, or Haydn Rd.

Col

• 2 months later...

I passed his Vernon Road factory every day for 5 years on the way to school, and remember seeing his car parked outside - an E type Jag, I think, reg GB1001. I often wonder if George Best eventually bought it.

The Brough works on Haydn Road was part of our old factory complex when it belonged to Moore and Company. The Brough owner's club came to meet there one Sunday many years ago. Sadly I was the person responsible for commissioning the demolition of it in order to build a new warehouse. The site now has houses built on it. It's directly opposite what was the Meridian sports ground on the Haydn Road/Quorn Road corner.

Phil

Ha ha yes will have to make the alert Brough Superior then .

For any Facebookers , Radio Cornwall have set up an "album" for the Brough find :

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1107614932595993.1073742743.127344490623047&type=3

I saw a tv programme recently about T E Lawrence. He lived in a tiny cottage with very little furniture and not even running water. He seemed to have had little interest in life apart from his books and motorcycles, he had eight Broughs in all.

• Upvote 1

No Mick, this was before they tried BL engines.

One of the first Honda cars was a two seater coupe, named the S500. Powered by a very high revving Honda engine, total crap.

Only two or three thousand people in the UK were daft enough to buy them !

Oh, before my time then. I remember (was it the 'B' series) that Honda dabbled with? It never worked as well as the Japanese engine. But, both Toyota and Mazda used BL engine derivatives at one time and were quite successful. Nowadays the Ford Zetec is a Mazda original design, the block anyway, how things change.

My mate's brother had a Honda S800 in the early 1970s. From what I remember, it was an absolute hoot to drive once you got the revs up around the red line.

Unfortunately, like most cars of that era, whether Japanese or British,, the rust worm was faster than the car itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Brough's Works site on the corner of Roderick St. has been a 'builders dump' for several years but has now been cleared and a building (?) is being erected, driving so didn't get a good look, another 'blue badge' site?