• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

babs is here mick and ive never heard of it either my friend sheila huggins was born at the very last house on lnw terrace and she lived there till she got married early seventies her parents lived th

Seems to be difficult to find any John Street in Netherfield. The only one locally is/was Basford. Radford Road is on the left, and Shippo's brewery is in the middle. Is it possible that you (or t

Searching the 1911 census for Netherfield, I came across John Street possibly among the terraces (London North West Terrace etc). Does anyone know whereabouts this was please?

Posted Images

There are Netherfield experts on this forum (who haven't arrived yet) and who know the area better than I do, but looking at various documents I can't see any road of that name in Netherfield. The only John Street I can find is in Basford, off North Gate.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone, thank you for the welcomes!

Hi Cliff Ton! Thank you for looking. It is John St, Netherfield according to the 1911 census. I can remember all the bottom terraces as husband lived in Netherfield, but neither of us can recall this particular street. It possibly disappeared long before the terraces were demolished. Unfortunately any of the family who would remember have long gone!

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the Forum Sparkly1, lots of interesting stuff on here about Netherfield and no doubt our resident Netho experts will be along before too long.

Keep browsing and posting, don't be shy!

• Upvote 1

babs is here mick and ive never heard of it either my friend sheila huggins was born at the very last house on lnw terrace and she lived there till she got married early seventies her parents lived there till they demolished the terrases as did my siter kath she moved out just befor they came down in 1976. lived in netherfield till i was 13 moved to carlton in 1963 we lived on ethel grove the first houses to be demolished in netherfield my mum was born there 1915 so she lived there in the same house for over 50 years LNW TERRACE was an l shaped terrace so unless the bottom part was orriginnaly caled john st i cart think were it might have been.were did your husband live in netherfield.

• Upvote 2

Hi Babs, Thanks for the information ....we're wondering now whether it was further into Netherfield & we're looking round the wrong streets. Even so, we can't place it. Husband ( Ian Hand) lived on Hodgkinson St., until we got married in 1970, then we moved round a few streets in Netherfield ( Manvers, Dunstan & Curzon) until we moved to Carlton ( where I'm from) in 1980. He knows Sheila, they were at school together.

know ian he was in my class at school and his sister jill remember his mum and dad too. my name was barbara clements lived ethel grove further up debil sttill we moved to cavendish rd just after starting senior school remeber jills husband too think his name was terry rode bikes as if i remember right so did ian. that was a long time ago 50 years since i left netherfield

jenny underhill, pete rippon pete beardmore briam coddington john coy jean payne kathleen jackson christine coy polly smith sheila rolley ken wiilliams just a few of the guys in our class at the time

A possible way of finding the location of John St.

If you were looking at the census via Find My Past, look at the information for John Street, and then click on the option of 'View original image'. That shows the actual census document. When you find John Street there, look at the streets which come before and after; that will give an indication where it was located.

• Upvote 1

Certainly rolls back the years! We used to go drinking with Pete Rippon, Your brother John is still one of our 'best' friends ( if you can still have them at our age!) We remember your mum & dad ( Grace & Horace (?) ) from Cavendish Road. We took John home and got him back in safely more than a few times! Do you remember Dave Baker from Cavendish Rd?

Jill's husband is Terry, they're still together & are on Chandos Street.Ian remembers some of the names you've listed. We're on Coningswath Rd

• Upvote 1

Can't seem to find a John Street in Netherfield but there is one in Basford . Seems to follow on from Whitbread Street on the census image page .

• Upvote 1

Seems to be difficult to find any John Street in Netherfield. The only one locally is/was Basford.

john.jpg

Radford Road is on the left, and Shippo's brewery is in the middle.

Is it possible that you (or the transcribers) have mis-read the census, and it actually says something else? Early 20th century handwriting can be very decorative and unreadable.

• Upvote 2

Hello sparkly1

Is the name on the census form that you have copied, a Mr Tsuke? I thought maybe if we could get this person, we may get a clue to the area!

I have had a look at the 1911 census on Ancestry.com for that name and address of 7 John St, Netherfield. I am sorry but I didn't find anything, I hope one of the more experienced people on site can help you.

hi my mum was grace but dad was george have mr clews who lived 3 doors up from us was horace not seen jonny for a couple of years now have you seen him lately dose not drink at all now and last time i saw him he was not even smoking the weed whitch is good for him as we all know.

yes i remember dave baker well charlie denoon lived next to us on cavo and his sister leslie me and lesley used to be good mates and stillare still see her and her husband graham most weeks bikers night down whiteheart lenton they used to go to carlton pub regular but i never did because our ray and john both went in there used to nipp in the back garden sometimes with our jeans kids in the summer she used to live bottom end of highfield driveand i used to babysit for her.

good job our jonny had some good mates in them days or he would have never have got home.as you know mam could never see ay wrong in him no matter what he did.the john st netherfield certainly a puzzel to me

Hi Carni ... it's not very clear as i had to downsize it quite a bit. It's Mr Duke. I got the original information off Ancestry when I was looking for a relative in Netherfield & decided to have a browse through the area. It's a place we'd never heard of, and it's position on the census it can be anywhere from Curzon St, down to London North Western Terrace.

is there a john st in netherfield long eaton sawley area, as that used to be notts and later became derbyshire could be were the confusion arose dont know just a thought

Hiya Babs,

We know where the Arthur Street is, because I had family living there on the 1911 census, Perhaps John St was somewhere down that end of Netherfield? It is quite intriguing as to were this street is!

Sparkly, Sorry I don't know Netherfield that well, but someone will soon you see. Good Luck.

i still see sheila huggins ans she is on my face book friends so we talk quite often and often talk about our old class from ashwell st a few more i have remembered while i have been out william potts barry shevils eyvonne lelewie marilyn commery maureen laslet lovely girl so sad only just seventeen when she died of cancer.robert that lived trafic terrace carnt remember his other name mums name jean dad was dave as was his brother and sister beverley perhaps ian will remember his surname dave was a mate of our johns.

only other thing i can think posible is the area bottom end dunston curzon st suffered a zepplin attack ww1 a few houses lost maybe it was damaged and they demolished it then

that just reminded me of nother couple of girs in our class marilyn brightman whose dad had the garage down there and susan brittle. thinking about that area of netherfieldthere were some newish council houses there compeared to the rest of the houses on dunston curzon sts. another daft thought that sprung to my mind as i was writing this.

• Upvote 1

Hi Sparkly,

I have had another look on Ancestry. I think I have found the info that you have already got.

There is deffinatly a Mr Duke and 1 female in the house on the 1911 census for that address.

7,John St

Household Schedule 249

Ecclesiastical Parish Netherfield St George

Civil Parish Carlton

Reg District Basford

" " no 429

Sub reg Carlton

Hope this info can help someone find the street you are interested in.