carni i can prity much remember all the sts from curzon st down dunston st across the rd from that manvers st jackie bells on the corner down from that was dennis st and arthurs st then no more sts till you reached debill st person st hogkinson st norman st that ran between debill and godfrey st and i can never remember the name of the last john coy and paul gaunt lived on there. after godfery st you had the 3 terraces traffic terrace middle terrace a girl pearl carnel who was in our class lived on ther and last was lnw terrace a few more pat hynson also in our class lived on deabill st as did steve merrit or fez as he was later known a few more names that i think ian will know.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

babs is here mick and ive never heard of it either my friend sheila huggins was born at the very last house on lnw terrace and she lived there till she got married early seventies her parents lived th

Seems to be difficult to find any John Street in Netherfield. The only one locally is/was Basford. Radford Road is on the left, and Shippo's brewery is in the middle. Is it possible that you (or t

Searching the 1911 census for Netherfield, I came across John Street possibly among the terraces (London North West Terrace etc). Does anyone know whereabouts this was please?

Posted Images

maybe some on here has an old map of netherfield pre ww1 that shows it really getting me thinking now as like ian and sparkly1 is your name jane by the way went to carlton girls school that just rung a bell in my head for some reason.

Welcome aboard, Sparkly1. I grew up and lived in Hodgkinson Street Netherfield until we moved out when I was 17. I do not remember a John street at all. Had plenty of friends on the different streets but that just does not ring a bell. Could it be possible that there is a misspelling there and it could be a street that sounds like John but could be just a bit different. Can't think of any just grasping at straws here.

I've looked at a load of old maps and still can't see it, but one thing is noticeable. In the south-east corner of Netherfield you get roads called Arthur Street, Norman Street, Dennis Street, Festus Street, Morris Street. So you can see what they were thinking when the area was built.

I'd guess John Street was somewhere there, and has been incorporated into one of the existing roads.

Armed with what Carni said about a Sam Duke living on John St found it on the 1911 Census . Looking at the images there seem to be about 12 houses on there .

The last street image before John St is listed as North Western Terrace .

Significantly , 2 properties at the higher end of the street give their address as "John St off Dunstan Street"

The first address after John St is 1 Norman Villas which also say off Dunstan Street.

The last street image before John St is listed as North Western Terrace .

Significantly , 2 properties at the higher end of the street give their address as "John St off Dunstan Street"

The first address after John St is 1 Norman Villas which also say off Dunstan Street.

We may be getting there.

I think North Western Terrace may be a bit of a red herring. On maps, it is quite a distance (relatively) from Dunstan Street.

When you say "higher end" do you mean the end nearest or furthest from Victoria Road?

By higher end I meant in regard to the street numbers , so presumably furthest away from the centre of "town" . It was running too slow to view any more so haven't a clue where it is in relation to Victoria Rd. Stupidly I didn't write down the ref.numbers .

Armed with what Carni said about a Sam Duke living on John St found it on the 1911 Census . Looking at the images there seem to be about 12 houses on there . Significantly , 2 properties at the higher end of the street give their address as "John St off Dunstan Street"

The top end of Dunstan Street has changed since the early 20th century. In the 1920s it had this collection of buildings at the top end. Aspey Street still exists as a reference point. Nothing is labelled John Street, but there's room for it.

johnst-1.jpg

Today, that area is where the "Netherfield Sheltered Housing" is marked. http://binged.it/1lW3t0f

that used to be brightmans garage was. can you remember a john st lizzie.

though of another name for our class list mick slattery deabill st he had a sister susan and brother richard know as dick

bit of a mystrey this one but it has certainly brought back the memories for me

• Upvote 1

sparky one been thinking today robert that lived traffic terrace was robert harrison 2 more for the list stephen shipman and susan meats dont think there could be many more

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... Sorry I haven't been on long enough to post anything in the last few days.We know someone who thinks he knows where John Street was, he's checking for us. Hopefully we'll know something by the end of next week.

Yes Babs, I'm Jane & I did go to Carlton Girls in the dim & distant past!

dont know why but you suddenly came to mind that you had married ian thought of another one from our class robin herbert

yes les we remember you well and mick vic and joe think you will find yours sisters went to station rd in the 60 joyce was in my class and your couson christine hobbs. i remember when you came to see leslie when she broke her leg when her horse fell on her and all the laughs we had at trudies cafe. had a couple of emails from mick just this week dont know if you keep in touch with him he and panna now living in spain. leslie and i often talk about trudies cafe and the crowd from there and when we used to go up to the concert room above the canteen at bourns at dinner time to play records and dance still see denis rose dave fox and one or two of the others from them days too.just seen leslie tonight and we were talking about when she broke her leg she has ms now but still rides pillion on her husbands bike at least a couple of times a week if the weather is not too bad.

babs

• Upvote 1

Hi Babs god wot a small world, or is it only small around Nottingham, those names bring it all back and Trudies cafe well !! the things that you put in the cubby hole in the back of your memory, and I was thinking that alzheimers was imminent and your right they did go to station road in the 60s at least Joyce did.

I last saw Mick and Panna about18 years ago seems like 5 ---- some people thought I was a self harmer because I used to visit Lesley so often in the first aid at Bournes. Im going to send a link to this site to Joyce and Maureen who incidentally visits Spain alot Murcia anywhere near Mick and Panna? My brother Mick left here (Brazil) to go live there a few weeks ago.Les x

not sure exactly were in spain they are les but ill pm you his email address tommorow ive not got it on this computor up in my bedroom only on the one down stairs . whiteheart 50th anniversarry reunion tomorow so i will see and tell leslie about you asking about her .and id like to bet we sit and chat about you and trudies and the rest of the gang. vics ex wife julie was also in our class at school and she came to trudies with me a few times when we were at school together.

if i remember right maureen was in the same year as leslie.leslie started at bourns when she left school in 1964 . i worked ther in about 1967/68.

dont time just fly 50 years agobut still have great memories of those days when i was a quiet shy school girl. not for long though soon got over that. as for the night you came to see leslie i still remember say to her heres les hes comming to see you and her trying to brush her hair before i came to open the door to you carnt remember were her mum and brothers were but know they had all gone out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for letting us know. A mystery solved !

It's a coincidence that the red arrow is exactly where the road turned out to be. That was the only space where I could say "this is where it might be".