is there a john st in netherfield long eaton sawley area, as that used to be notts and later became derbyshire

I know Netherfield Rd Sawley, lived a few roads away for some years.

Was part of Sawley called Netherfield?

Was Sawley once Nottingham?

Somewhere I have an old map of Derbyshire, packed away still since our hous move nearly 2 years ago.

I was fascinated by this map as the bottom part of the elongated county had a seperate bit, a bit like the isle of wight?

Long Eaton Postal address is Nottingham. I assume Sawley is too. They are both in Derbyshire. Langley Mill postal address is also Nottingham although it is Derbyshire

As far as I know, nothing west of the river Erewash was ever in Notts. In fact, the reason Long Eaton became a major lace making center was because the factory owners moved out of Notts to avoid the labor unions there!

Some things never change!

I HAVE a "Book Atlas" by John Speed,British counties in 1610,SAWLEY is well and truly in Derbyshire,

I once worked in a small village south of Grantham. NG postcode, Lincs address and Leics telephone no.

We moved to Roosevelt Avenue, Sawley in 1954. The correct postal address at that time was New Sawley, Long Eaton, Nottingham. But it was definitely in Derbyshire. The board marking the county boundary was on Nottingham Road, Long Eaton between Station Road and Toton Corner. I seem to remember there was a wall there - possibly the bridge over the Erewash, which for many years bore the slogan "Cut the call-up".

I always referred to that bridge as "Cut the call up"! It wasn't until years later that I knew what it referred to - ancient graffiti?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We moved to Roosevelt Avenue, Sawley in 1954. The correct postal address at that time was New Sawley, Long Eaton, Nottingham. But it was definitely in Derbyshire. The board marking the county boundary was on Nottingham Road, Long Eaton between Station Road and Toton Corner. I seem to remember there was a wall there - possibly the bridge over the Erewash, which for many years bore the slogan "Cut the call-up".

alledged to have been painted on by Pete Dunkley from Chinatown!

A Loughborough Estate Agent(Haart) has a bungalow for sale in Costock Loughborough Leicestershire ?

I know Costock has a LE post code but surely they should get the county right

Come on Haart's get it right it's in Nottinghamshire :)

As far as I know, nothing west of the river Erewash was ever in Notts. In fact, the reason Long Eaton became a major lace making center was because the factory owners moved out of Notts to avoid the labor unions there!

now they are moving to get away from the stupid parking levy

>nothing west of the river Erewash was ever in Notts

Yup - it's the rivers that are the convenient boundaries! They are a bit hard to move.

That's why Notts stretches almost to Loughborough - north east of the Soar is all Nottinghamshire.

I used to live in Sawley, and could just about visit three counties in an hour!

I understand the issue with Long Eaton having a NG postcode was down to the sorting office being a sub-office of Beeston. Bizarrely, cross the M1 into Breaston, and you're into DE72. I suppose that a line has to be drawn somewhere.

For me, born in Ainsley Estate, Radford, there was no way I wanted to be associated with Derby!

My house is about half a mile as the crow flies inside Leicestershire the boundary being the River soar at Stanford.

The Ex Great Central Railway also goes from Nottinghamshire into Leicestershire at this point.

• 2 years later...
On 12/22/2014 at 9:37 AM, Hark at it! said:

And that "cut the call-up" bridge at Toton Corner also had "Mods and Rockers" graffiti painted on it. A period piece! I'm amazed that English Heritage have not had it listed.

Appreciate this is an old thread, but this comment is the only reference that graffiti I have ever seen online!

The legible part of the graffiti reads "MOD REVIVIAL" and was spray painted onto the bridge by my Dad at some point in the '80s. My dad was a Mod in the '60s and his brother was a Rocker. Some sort of rock or Mod event was taking place in the '80s and that was sprayed on. It is still on the bridge 30-odd years later.

As for Sawley and Long Eaton, they are in Derbyshire and the only connection to Nottingham is that the post is sorted in Beeston. Everything else (police, government, fire and rescure, health services, schools and education, etc.) is Derbyshire. The flags of Derbyshire are currently flying from the shops in Sawley.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
On 4/27/2014 at 1:20 PM, Limey said:

Long Eaton definitely is in Derbyshire and definitely has a Notts Postal adress.