Hi there everyone.

We are trying to find a street / road / area called "Harold Hill"in Nottingham.

We think it might have been somewhere in the region of Gordon Road or Peasehill Road in St Anne's but this is just a best guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

Sneinton.

harold.jpg

The road going up the right is Windmill Lane. The road coming in from the bottom left corner is Upper Eldon Street. Harold Street, which appears here as a short thing, now goes all the way through to Windmill Lane. The road across the top (almost) is Walker Street.

1913/14 Wrights directory doesn't show it.

I have a Glover's directory dated 1844 & it's listed there (which is pre enclsure acts)

Looking at the map on post 4 the houses are back to backs so could have been demolished by 1913

All, thanks very much for your help with this. The whole area was obviously cleared at some stage although Lord a Street and Roberts Street remain and seem to be the sme style as Harold Street and Harold a Place. Good going especially to a Cliff Ton!

Thanks

Nick

My Mums family came from Lord Street, off Windmill Lane. I can remember going to sit with my gran for about 2 hours daily for a week. I was only about 10 years of age and would go there straight from school. She must have been ill because she had a bed in the lounge. On my first day, I entered the lounge, she said hello and then went back to sleep. I just sat there listening to the clock ticking away. I was bored stiff and couldn't wait to go home. Throughout the rest of the week I'd take my Dandy and Beano comics to read so it wasn't so bad. I remembered that after reading NJFNick's post (#10)

• Upvote 1