Mystery bus front end at Bartons Chilwell Garage

For the first time in many years, yesterday I was being driven past the remains of the old Barton bus garages at Chilwell/Beeston and we spotted the front end of a curved front, possibly 50's/60's, Bartons single decker next to the old garage building. Does anyone know what this is and what it's all about before some local knobheads go and torch it.

The bright red Bartons used was called "China Red". I knew a chap that worked in the re-spray area in the 60's . He gave me a tin and I hand painted my MG, my first car. It looked OK, but I ended up doing it black.

Yep - it was the Bartons "rescue" vehicle. I think it had a crane/lifting device on the back, and the modified cab was a small workshop. I remember seeing it around Long Eaton a few times.

Nah, it wasn't that, can someone nip down there and sort out whats going off, take a piccy with your ultimate all singing and dancing mobile phone and publish it on here, if you can get through that tram stuff.

While we are on the subject of Barton's, I posted this image taken at Wollaton Park a few years ago an an AEC Facebook page and was informed it was for sale, £2000 ono. I'm struggling to keep my Civic on the road, so maybe I won't bother making an offer.

736082_1480957448789400_1657623212_o.jpg

• 3 months later...

NAS 624, mentioned earlier, was indeed a government surplus AEC Matador. It looked a bit different at Chilwell Garage in 1950 though! My dad is standing left - I think they were pulling tree stumps.

The wrecking crew had to go out at all hours in the Matador and the cab was slightly basic! So later on the ever resourceful Barton body builders cobbled together a new cab complete with space for repair kits etc. An excellent chap called Jolyon bought the Matador and restored it some years ago, don't know if he still owns it.

post-1767-0-70440400-1407082879_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Come to think of it, there are some other candidates for Firbeck at Chilwell. There's a cut down 1950s coach which was converted to transport the 1908 replica charabanc, also a late 1950s AEC Reliance (the "ghost bus", URR 865) which has been rescued from a field in Suffolk.

I think they've got an open day on September 13th actually, if anybody fancies negotiating the tram works outside! Just don't utter the word "tram" when Simon Barton's around.