I have seen an image of the Haydon Road entrance to New Basford station. The photo is after the station closed and it's a little worse for wear. It shows a set of iron gates, but there is also an ornate bracket with some scroll work above the entrance, It has a vertical rod about 3 ft long hanging down from the end of the bracket. Was this for a lamp or a sign or both, does anyone know?

13897176848_f710295dfb_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

For all you railway enthusiasts there is a very good "web site" called "chris"s Annesley" with dozens of pictures.

briyeao, can you show the whole of that image? I don't think I've ever seen any photo of the Haydn Road entrance to that station.

I'm a little concerned about copyright Cliff, with it being an image from a book, rather than one available on the internet.

Can someone put me out of my misery? The map on the link above shows New Basford as on the south side of Haydn Road. Is my memory playing tricks? I was absolutely convinced the entrance was on the north side, with the steps leading to the south end of the platform.

I'm a little concerned about copyright Cliff, with it being an image from a book, rather than one available on the internet.

I understand your concern, but a considerable number of photos on Nottstalgia have been "borrowed" from such sources. I think people take the view that no gain or profit is made from such use.

I was also surprised to discover that we already have a small thread on the subject http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7694&hl=haydn

Can someone put me out of my misery? The map on the link above shows New Basford as on the south side of Haydn Road. Is my memory playing tricks? I was absolutely convinced the entrance was on the north side, with the steps leading to the south end of the platform.

I think Disused Stations maps are a bit imprecise. Is this better?

basford-3.jpg

I wonder if that bracket may have been for a gas light? The metal rods look to me as though they could have doubled as a pipe for the gas.

The station entrance was definitely on the south side of the road, with steps leading up to the north end of the platform. Various maps/photos show the station being to the south of the road, plus I remember it as a station where trainspotters were frowned upon! The road outside wasn't a great place to spot from, so my regular place was Perry Road bridge further up.

I remember it well and remember cycling along Haydn Road when the GCR was still in use. The old station house is still there. When I was a shunter at Nottingham Sidings, one of the lads I worked with lived in that house.

New Basford station was an amazing place with carriage sheds and quite a large goods yard. One of my old station chiefs at Derby, Dennis Bush, was once signalman there.

Is this the exact spot where the line went under the road?

The line went over the road, which still dips to the lowest point where it went under the bridge. There was a large garden to the station house where the bungalow on the left is. The embankment was where the next house to the left is, which was removed when these houses were built.

I seem to recall the bracket holding a gas lamp but could be wrong, I was only 10 when the station closed, even so I'd spent quite a bit of time there as a youngster.

The book mentioned above is published by Book Law who can be found on Carlton Hill.

• Upvote 1

briyeo, your photograph at #1 is a dead ringer for one of the threads provided by notty ash at #13, right down to the last little curly bit.....

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/belgrave_and_birstall/index16.shtml

I think it did Brian,and of course the station house is still there,i remember going there with my Grandad on "union business" i think the mans name was "Tyler."

I do remember the station house, Benjamin, then there was a long concrete wall all the way up to the Kersall Road bridge, you could always make out the paler bit where it was repaired after the Canberra crash. There was a foot path along the road with kerb stones but the path was not made up beyond the station house, I think there were patches of tarmac at the bus stops for Piccadilly and Kersall Drive, (No.17 bus). It is a long time ago over 40 years since I left Bulwell. I knew the area well as a child as I lived on Henrietta Street.

I remember that the House on the Corner of Broomhill Road and St. Albans Road ran a fleet on taxis or at least hire cars.

Its strange that I knew St. Albans Road as a child but now live near the city of St. Albans.

Surely you call it SNORBANS now you're a resident Brian? My son lived there for 2 or 3 years, in an apartment above the Multiyork shop on London Road.

behind the concrete wall was Bulwell sidings,Dad worked there as a shunter,in fact he was there when the "canberra". crashed.i used to buy foreign stamps from an old stamp dealer on Henrieta st.in the 50s,and had an Aunt lived on the street.