Is the News House still extant on St Jame's Street in the town centre? I spent many a happy Firday night upstairs at the Nottingham Traditional Music Club in the Ealry 80s. Oft were the times I cycled home along Gregory Boulevard, scarcely abnle to see, let alone cyle in a straight line!

I did a thread on this last year. Not many people like trad folk I'm afraid. However. I was there most Friday (trad) and Saturday nights (modern) during 1968 . Can you remember Don Winter?

#2 I can't remember any of the names at all. I do recall seeing Father Ken there though.

Oh I used to go there when I was a student here in the early 80s! Most memorable guests I saw was Nic Jones and Tony Hall (among others I can't really remember.) When I came back to live here 30 years later I had to go root out The News House as I had so many happy memories. As you say, it's like a big screen bar thing now :-(

In the 80s there were so many folk clubs! ; This one - NTMC, The Boulevard Hotel, Narrow Boat (was it,) Newcastle Arms, one at that pub bottom Mansfied Rd (Tudor Rose or something.) You could almost go to a folk club any night of the week. There only seems to be Poppy and Gladstone now (The Gladstone, which you can't get any info on, list of guests for love nor money ... it's like a closely guarded secret, that one. Weird)

Is the News House still extant on St Jame's Street in the town centre? I spent many a happy Firday night upstairs at the Nottingham Traditional Music Club in the Ealry 80s. Oft were the times I cycled home along Gregory Boulevard, scarcely abnle to see, let alone cyle in a straight line!

I too was a regular there in the early 80s. I adored the trad folk. The Ellen Vannin was one of my favourites and although I cant sing (and should probably have a restraining order on me singing) I adored that song. Leaving of Liverpool too..... happy days.

My ex used to sing the "Ellen Vannin" at our local club - the White Hart Lenton.

• Upvote 1

Oh I used to go there when I was a student here in the early 80s! Most memorable guests I saw was Nic Jones and Tony Hall (among others I can't really remember.) When I came back to live here 30 years later I had to go root out The News House as I had so many happy memories. As you say, it's like a big screen bar thing now :-(

In the 80s there were so many folk clubs! ; This one - NTMC, The Boulevard Hotel, Narrow Boat (was it,) Newcastle Arms, one at that pub bottom Mansfied Rd (Tudor Rose or something.) You could almost go to a folk club any night of the week. There only seems to be Poppy and Gladstone now (The Gladstone, which you can't get any info on, list of guests for love nor money ... it's like a closely guarded secret, that one. Weird)

Yes I remember the Boulevard but it was awful, the pub you are thinking about at the bottom of Mansfield Road is the Rose of England. Not one of my favourite places, but mainly in the late 70s and early 80s I tended to go the Hearty Good Fellow or the Salutation, the latter did folk music one night a week and the rest was thrash metal or heavy metal. The Running Horse at Canning Circus had some fine folk musicians on.