Has anyone any experience of cd recovery.

My daughter bought a cd that contained some photos of her and her friend on a jet ski last week in Turkey,she watched the man do the disc and everything seemed ok, on putting the disc into the computer. it says that there is about 188mb of data, but it does not show any files.

I tried a program called isobuster, this seemed to find 28 files that were pictures. I cant see the pictures, they want $50.00 to enable different functions on the program so that I can see them.

Maybe they never closed the session after writing the data?

Some here will be more expert than me in this?

Format?? What format are the pictures/files.??? I save all photos in a different format than jpg as jpg is a lossy format, could the feller who "burned" the CD have done the same thing??

If no files are shown, it's an empty disk.

Two things: Firstly, does it "look" like it has been written to - it should have an area that is a different shade to the rest of the disk?

Secondly, if it does look like it has been written to, try it on a different computer. It is possible that either the drive that wrote the disk, and/or the reading drive are slightly out of alignment. If this is the case, and the mis-alignment "adds up", the disk cannot be read at all by some drives.

I have encountered the alignment "addition" issue before. It tends not to happen in newer drives, but older ones were often slightly "off". I have also encountered a situation where a DVD drive would not read a CD - in fact I replaced that drive just a coupe of weeks ago!

Limey, looking at the disc the inner third is a darker shade than the outer,when I tried the disc recovery program, it found 28 files that were shown as pictures, the picture sizes were all there and different, and the time that the picture were taken was shown that corresponded to when she was on the jet ski.

I am confident that the pictures are on the disc, but as for getting them I dont know what else to do.

Hang on, Its the program that is asking for $50, not the original seller of the CD of images.

There must be other programs out there?

Just found this free piece of software for recoving lost files on disks..

http://download.cnet.com/CD-Recovery-Toolbox-Free/3000-2352_4-10646814.html

There are lots of programs that can do this I am just hoping that someone has a bit of experience doing it.

It is like anything, easy if you know what you are doing.

This wouldnt have been a problem before, as she normally takes her laptop with her, but this time took a tablet.

Never had any problems with CD's other than the odd blank one that was faulty.

I backup all important files to at least one CD and my external hard drive, as it's so easy for something to get lost, damaged or corrupted.

Make sure you keep valuable data CD's out of direct sunlight, they can/will get corrupted by strong UV light.

I have recovered files for the missus off of damaged hard drives, but like I say, have never come across a faulty CD other than new ones that are unrecordable.

I also change all jpg photo files to BMP, as I mentioned earlier, jpg is lossy, each time it's expanded and saved, it loses some data, whereas BMP doesn't.

Sounds like there was some corrupted data on the disk.

We got collared by the hotel photographer, end results were fair but they wanted 30TL (£10) for each picture.

Good grief Mick!!! I'd have pulled my tripod out, set my camera up and took a selfie with my remote, then given him the finger....LOL