What you need is a conversion toolkit - pair of scissors and a rolling pin - get those cards down to size in no time :-)

• Upvote 2

I visited a royal mail processing plant and saw how it all works.

That's a good explanation, but sadly it does not explain my original post??

Oh ! hold on ! I've got it now, they are phasing in robots to collect mail and I came across an inflexible prototype out on a field test.......

• Upvote 1

As I understand it, posties on collection duties have to adhere to a standard working method - hence the "it has to go in the pillar box" stance. The point is that if he/she were to accept odd items by hand, they might forget to add them to the mail in the sacks in the back of the van. On my visit, they told me that security of the mail is sacrosanct. They can't and won't take any risks as they could lose their jobs. It's the same rationale that means they are instructed not to leave parcels "in the porch", "by the bin" or "inside the gate", etc. unlike other carriers (TNT, DHL, DPD, etc.) They have only recently started allowing delivery posties to leave parcels with neighbours.

• Upvote 1

A fair interpretation, but it does not excuse his attitude, time for change maybe or get left behind?

During a recent change of address we had to go through all of the usual redirection of mail paperwork at quite a cost.

Our Daughter is registered at our old address and she is travelling in Australia at the moment until November.

At the post office we were told that we could not change her details as we did not have the right identifying documentation with us.

We receive letters etc sent to her, contact her and then email / text / Skype to ask her if she wants us to open them.

This we do and act accordingly with whatever the letter is about on her behalf.

Not being able to change her details to our new address means that only our mail is forwarded.

At the moment the old address is standing empty and will do for six months or so.

The postman knows us, knows our Daughter and agrees it is a silly situation, but he is powerless to do anything.

He does however forward all of the junk mail that we have not asked for.....

Smiffy

A fair interpretation, but it does not excuse his attitude, time for change maybe or get left behind?

During a recent change of address we had to go through all of the usual redirection of mail paperwork at quite a cost.

Our Daughter is registered at our old address and she is travelling in Australia at the moment until November.

At the post office we were told that we could not change her details as we did not have the right identifying documentation with us.

We receive letters etc sent to her, contact her and then email / text / Skype to ask her if she wants us to open them.

I've had mail re-directed several times over the years and I'm glad the Post Office are strict with their ID rules. How can they know that a person has a genuine claim to ask for someone's mail to be re-directed? Without the correct security, anyone could ask for another person's mail to be sent somewhere else.

I could go into a Post Office and say that I am Mr Smith of 27 xxx Street, and I want all mail for that person to be sent to another address. Thankfully Royal Mail will only do that if I can prove that I really am Mr Smith and I am moving house.

I have lived at my current address since November 2012.

I still get lots of mail for the previous occupants. I send them back 'not known'.

(Now When I get enough to make it worth the walk of 75 yds to the mailbox)

One comes from a financial business. From the return postcode on the envelope I got the company and rang them.

Only to be told "By law we have to keep sending the mail to the last registered address"

I replied that they did not now know who the hell was receiving these possioble personal financial details.

He request I return the mail for his attention, the mail from that company stopped.

Recently I got one from E-Sure boldly marked 'Your car insurance renewal is enclosed',

Someone has had their car insurance registered at my address, and probably on auto renew, for 18 months!

I wonder what woul happen if they had an accident and had not informed Esure of their change of address?

Recently I got one from E-Sure boldly marked 'Your car insurance renewal is enclosed',

Someone has had their car insurance registered at my address, and probably on auto renew, for 18 months!

I wonder what woul happen if they had an accident and had not informed Esure of their change of address?

I think as well as having to deal with an accident, they'd also have to deal with driving without valid insurance.

Understand fully the need for ID etc.

Also fully understand the need, in larger condensed postal areas, to protect people from bogus redirections and all the spin off scams associated with this.

I suppose I am fortunate to live in a small rural community where everyone knows everyone else.

My point is that the local post office and postman in this small community all know everyone in the district including my Daughter.

We were able to provide the relevant ID at the post office to get our mail redirected with no problem. We moved 1 mile away from the old address. This house is now empty.

However, as my Daughter (who they know very well) could not provide the necessary ID (she has it with her in Oz) they said they could not include her in the redirection period.

We have the same postman, the redirection service works very well and we have no problem with our own mail (except the junk).

Our postman does kindly tell us when he has delivered a letter for our Daughter to the empty house. We then have to ring the new owner's housekeeper (who has a key) and they meet us at the old property to collect her mail?? The postman knows she does not live their anymore but still has to post it through the letterbox, including the junk.

On the other hand if something went wrong with my mail I would probably be the first to complain....!

Must go know, off to catch the post.....

Smiffy

• 5 years later...