• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The moment I set eyes on my wife I knew she would be the one to make the rest of my life miserable. See, first impressions are rarely wrong.

I remember when a few years ago, I asked the French unemployment office, to advertise for a forester, as I had brought some more woodland and needed some help in maintaining it, they phoned me a few d

I met mrs catfan on a blind date, always said since, I should have gone to Specsavers.

Rouge and blusher also imitate the aroused state of the female who is ready to mate.

This can"t be correct bilbora-lad,because my wife only wears it when she goes out without me,

• Upvote 2

When I first saw my ex with her long legs, leather boots, mini shirt and long blonde hair I didn't give a fig about personality, I knew instantly that I was it. I had thirty three great years, so I must be a reasonable judge .

Had to read that twice Basfordred...LOL...Then I spotted EX....PMSL.

HOPE her long blond hair was longer than her mini SHIRT mate :)

Much longer !!!!!!!

First impressions.....

I think from a purely visual point of view our first impression of someone (sometimes something) goes back to our childhood.

Sinister looking people like witches, goblins and giants or handsome princes or beautiful princesses etc in fairy stories give us an early impression of good and bad.

I also found at an early age that particular actors in films depicted as goodies or baddies left a mark with me. EG:- Christopher Lee always played evil characters, whereas Doris Day seemed kind and homely. Anyone who resembled anyone I had seen in a 50's or 60's film was put into a mental slot.

Anyone at school or later in the workplace or social encounter was "judged" subconsciously by whichever category they fell into based on pictures in books and films.

I find the same things with places. A first visit or trip to another place is tainted by the weather at the time.

Sometimes a more mysterious basic internal force is involved and we get an irrational feeling of uneasiness (sometimes foreboding) about a place or person when we meet them the first time. Sometimes you also "know" that, that person "knows" how you feel even though you are in the company of others.....

Sensitivity or paranoid, or just animal instinct?

Next time you look at someone in a shop, on a bus, or at work or play, think about what it is you like or dislike about them from a visual point of view.

Ten to one, it will be linked to witches & wizards or princes & princesses....

Maybe it's the same with animals, most of us like cuddly cats and dogs (lassie etc), but loathe spiders, insects etc (50's B movies).

Just an impression...

Smiffy

• Upvote 2

You're damn right. There were some right witches on the No 17 bus yesterday.

Seriously Smiffy, you are spot on in every respect.

I'm one of those people who is useless at judging character, I don't even try anymore. I've often thought & even said "he/she is all right" then they turn out to be a bad un & I'm then mad with myself for getting it wrong. SWMBO & Mother-in-law seem to be able to spot bad un's miles away, I wish I could..

I think I had an aversion to junior engineers straight out of university, they all seemed to know everything about the job but soon found out they hadn't a clue...There was the odd one who because he'd got his BSc persisted in trying to tell us seasoned electricians "how to" only to be shot down by showing them how stupid the idea was and how much stoppage time it would cause...

#33 That leads us on to stereotypes which make you make judgements through preconceived ideas rather than true gut feeling.

Yes it does. Can't fault it !!!!

funny thing is i am usually a very good judge of people and dont often make a mistake ,but when i first knew piggy i realy did not like him and it took him 3 years to get me to let him take me home and our relationship did take a long while to developebut in the end i finaly realized he ment more to me than just being friends this came as much a surprize to him as it did to mebut i am sure if we had got married when he first asked me it would never have lasted.

• Upvote 2

I remember when a few years ago, I asked the French unemployment office, to advertise for a forester, as I had brought some more woodland and needed some help in maintaining it, they phoned me a few days later saying they will be sending me someone to interview for the post, on the appointed time a large BMW motorcycle appeared in my yard, with a huge 35yo biker covered in tattoos wearing the whole bikers uniform of leather and cut-off denim covered in badges, and I thought.....What the hell have they sent me...

I interviewed him and he had the right qualifications, so I gave him a months trial, and he was exactly the person I needed for the post, he is still working for us but now almost 9 years later my son is his boss,,,

But what surprised me most about him, were his hobbies they are Painting in water colours, and Origami, I know they are both true because I have been to exhibitions where he was giving demonstrations.......

• Upvote 5

I am very good at reading people, don't know how or why but I seem to be pretty spot on most times anyway.

When I first met my wonderful wife, about 48 years ago, I just knew she was the one, and she still is !

• Upvote 1

The moment I set eyes on my wife I knew she would be the one to make the rest of my life miserable. See, first impressions are rarely wrong.

Is that why you like a good argument! ? only joking DJB,BEFORE YOU START ON ME, :)

I'm a big fan of lipstick Tomlinson so would be interesting to hear!!!

Certainly! The quote is from an excellent book, 'Body Language - How to read others' thoughts by their gestures' by Allan Pease.

'Lipstick - When a woman becomes sexually aroused her lips, breasts and genitals become larger and redder as they fill with blood. The use of lipstick is a technique thousands of years old that is intended to mimic the reddened genitals of the sexually aroused female.' The book is one of the very few reference works I enjoyed reading for pleasure and I recommend it. It makes the point that no matter what someone may say, the body language reveals the truth.

• Upvote 1