Hi anybody on here worked at Baker And Plumb or shopped there on a regular basis. I worked there straight from school for two years. Started 1965 to 1967 and worked in the office which was based on the upper floor through a door which was just off the main furniture showroom.

I worked In stock control and everybody else in the office were a lot older than me but there were some right characters. I worked opposite a lady called Lottie who had a cigarette permanently in her mouth and never drew down on it therefore having an inch or more of ash all the time. There was a guy whose name escapes me now but would suddenly burst into song without any warning. The wages guy we called "Ray The Pay" and he would stand at the office door on a Friday ( pay day) and literally throw your pay packet towards you and if you didn't catch it it would invariably split and then you would have to go scrambling under desks to collect your coinage.

I remember a new girl starting on the switchboard and bearing in mind it was the 60's and mini skirts were in fashion she refused to work in an office of mainly men unless they put a modesty board in front of her desk. Happy days.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing that out . I did a quick search but obviously didn't look in the right place ,only been on the sight a week and still getting used to it.

Ex and I often got furniture there in the 70's. Nice styles at fair prices. Another sad loss to Nottingham .

Hi Dave 48,

I also Worked for Baker & Plumb, between 1961- 1963, as a Driver delivering furniture . We used to load at the back on woolaton st and our Garage was on Percy st, Basford. Had some great moment while delivering, especially down the meadows area.

some of our runs used to take us to the east coast,Sked,Mablethorpe, Chaple, etc,but that only once a month, the rest was local.

It was surprising were folk came from to buy goods ( cash only store). over all it was not a bad job, but the wage,s was rubbish.

Dennis..

• Like 1

Hi Dennis is your surname Stout and are you married to Doreen who worked there also? I remember when a big delivery came in they used to ask me to help to unload the lorries and I can remember struggling up those narrow back stairs trying to balance a single divan mattress.

I used to like Thursday afternoons playing football for them in the Thursday league all travelling in the back of one of the lorries getting thrown about all over the place.

• Like 1

Hi Dave 48,

Dennis coming back to you, My surname is Merrin, the one and only, they only made one mold of me, and then they destroyed it, ha ha It was not a bad job, While I worked for them ,I used to service and repair their trucks at a weekend, for a few bob extra, as I was a timed served diesel fitter as well.

Dennis Merrin.

Hi Dennis, I remember now it was Ken Stout and his wife Doreen was an accounts clerk I think. I seem to remember another driver I think his name was Barry Hoggard a big guy with curly blonde hair and I think he had a brother who was a driver or who worked in the warehouse.....it was a long while ago and my memory is fading fast

I can remember the Baker brothers though all as different as chalk and cheese. Len was the oldest one and was the MD Charlie was in charge of the carpet dept and always had a fag on the go and instead of tapping it to get rid of the ash he would just blow it off with the fag still in his mouth and he would finish up with with ash all down hid lapels on his jacket....I don't know what the customers thought of that.

Then there was Ralph the youngest and he was in charge of the furniture dept. I recall many a time a full blown argument going off in the shop when the brothers didn't agree on something again right in front of customers.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Dave,as you know,I went to school next door,1965-1970, the staff were nice to us as kids,my dad bought vono beds and mattresses from there,and stools which had brown paper wrapped around the legs.The large store across the road had a'new' smell about it.

i remember Baker & Plumb, there was a store opposite on Derby Rd sold Lino, Carpet flooring, my ex brother in law, Roy Cammidge, worked there, he left the store and went across the road to Bakers because they wanted him for his sporting prowess, good at cricket and football, he worked in the Flooring Dpt. he lived on Aspley Lane

My mum and dad used to buy quite a few bits of furniture from Baker & Plum on Derby Rd. My dad favoured the unpainted drawer units and cupboards because they were reasonably priced and you could paint them up to match your colour scheme.

,#Dave, #22, he married Olive, my sister, i have a photo of him and me at St. Margarets Church, Aspley Lane. can't remember his school, do remember his brother big lad, funnily CliffTon's photo #23, he drove an Austin A40, (as in pic), i drive an Austin Cambridge, as in the pic, who knows, could have been ours.

• Upvote 1

Two pearlers there Cliff,You're excellent at pulling these outta the bag!!

Pic1: just past the LTD lettering was an old garage office/workshop,had a great ghost sign for servicing Fraser Nash or the like? Straight past that was the lane to St.Marys school,on my recent visit I actually stood in the old playground and took a reverse pic of this!! Miss Savin's class is still there.

Pic2: 1969?,when did cars cease travelling down Derby rd?...Strathdon hotel was attatched to that gable end above the Austin A40.