Off out to Lincoln tomorrow.

Well it's three months since my MI, getting a bit browned off doing nowt so tomorrow Mrs Catfan has decided we're off to Lincoln for the day. Nice & gentle mind, no tear-arsing about.

Catch the train from Bulwell Station & that particular one we catch becomes the Lincoln train so we stop on it & after just over an hour we have reached our destination.

The weather forecast looks good so getting everything ready, have already charged the camera batteries so hopefully take a few photo's as well.

So, here's looking forward to a sunny Lincoln !

• Upvote 2

Lovely place. My youngest daughter lives there. Always liked it.

Have a lovely day. I love Lincoln, there's so much to see and do. If you can make it up Steep hill there's a couple of very nice tea shops , near the top end, so if you get a bus up to the Bailgate should be a gentle stroll. The Cathedral has lots going on usually too.

Hi Catfan

My Grandfather and myself both worked for Ruston Gas Turbines on the opposite side of the river in lincoln (although many years apart) and he would tell me about his times living in Lincoln. Im not sure how true this was but he told me that prior to the second world war busses would run through the Stone Bow.

Have a great day its a beautiful place and those coffee shops on the footbridge smell incredible

fch 782c

Hi fch 782c. Thanks for the info, whilst mrs catfan & I have visited Lincoln many, many times we still get a lot of enjoyment visiting the place.

It was only about 4 years ago we visited, proper if you like, mind you, I did deliver to Ruston Gas reguarly 45 years ago !

I was delivering bricks to a building site in the Bailgate area on a regular basis 4 years ago & seeing the place around there gave me the idea to have a wander around there proper one day. So that was it, many great days out there since.

We sometimes travel by train, it makes a nice change to let someone else do the driving & I can have a couple of pints if I like !

One of the best "chippy's" I've ever been to is the Burton Road chippy just down from the museum of life on Burton Rd.

We have been visiting Lincoln on a regular basis now & still finding new places there to see.

I'm not sure how true this was but he told me that prior to the second world war busses would run through the Stone Bow.

Double decker buses were still running through the Stonebow until at least the late 1960s. I've got a photo I took myself around 1969 but can't lay my hands on it at the moment, but hopefully this link will work:

http://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275789/Article/images/17946800/4503902-large.jpg

It's difficult to imagine, looking at it nowadays, but I think the road level has been raised slightly since traffic used to run through it.

WISH i had gone to Lincoln,silly me went to Mansfield this morning,OH DEAR !

Just got back in, everything went like clockwork. Great train service, can't be faulted, beautiful weather & even got a few pics as well.

An added bonus is that I have "caught" the sun !

• Upvote 1