When I was a kid I climbed upon and played in the Major Oak, as I'm sure many others here did. The last time I went to see it I was horrified to see the large branches missing and the remainder shored up with timbers. I would rather see this majestic tree follow its natural life cycle than see it buggerd about with just to satisfy a tourist industry.

Question:

Should the Major Oak be allowed to live its life in a natural way or should it be patched up ad inffinitum?

Over to the panel.....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am an ex forester and for me the best thing they can do is, 1: collect the acorns and grow a replacement, and 2: while they are waiting for them to grow, cut off the branches and pollard it, it will

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, reading through this, I was going to bring this book to Basfordred's attention, in this WW1 anniversary year I would suggest it as 'THE' must re

Thought this was interesting. New Sherwood Hello, my name is John Palmer and I live in Dorset, England. When I was a boy I was taken to see the Major Oak and have loved the great tree ever since. In

If it had been allowed to have a natural life, would it still be there at all? If it didn't have artificial help, would it have died years ago?

Or have had its life shortened by vandals?

e.g. Arson attack in 1983 which took two days to put out and was eventually extinguished by filling the trunk cavity with foam

• Upvote 1

I am an ex forester and for me the best thing they can do is, 1: collect the acorns and grow a replacement, and 2: while they are waiting for them to grow, cut off the branches and pollard it, it will look a mess for a few years but it will soon have a descent top on it

• Upvote 9

Ah......... I feel a tune coming on ! Also includes pics with and without support (the tree not the band !)

(p.s ....I agree with Meltonstilton)

• Upvote 3

I find it amusing how many advocate chopping down a historic tree, but complain vociferously when old Nottingham buildings are destroyed!

• Upvote 4

I cannot understand how anyone could wish to cut down the Major Oak, that's assuming they are being serious. It's such a beautiful tree, full of history and is known around the World. Giving the tree its supports mean that people can come and view this magnificent and historical tree. Some people would like to chop it down and give the visitors a photo of it. It would be like the TV programme 'Bullseye' as they told the visitors, "This is what you could have had".

majoroakreenactment.jpg

• Upvote 5

Don't forget the Parliamentary Oak and the Milk churn Oak, both just down the road from Edwinstow. I say keep the Major Oak. Even if it just brings a few rich Yanks here.

• Upvote 1

#18 as mercurydancer said there is obviously still life in the tree as it is in leaf, It is not just a dead stump. And even in the photo it still looks majestic.

Last year I went to see the Fortingall yew which apparently dates a minimum 3000 years old, and is the oldest tree in the British Isles. This is also supported and surrounded by a wall, the difference being that yews are several trees growing together and the Fortingall yew is now several separate growths contained within the wall, but still springing from the same roots. They are growing new trees from the original for the time when it dies. As Melton says they should grow new oaks from the Majors acorns, and though these will not have the same connotations they will be from the same stock and so have the link.

• Upvote 1

Thought this was interesting.

New Sherwood Hello, my name is John Palmer and I live in Dorset, England. When I was a boy I was taken to see the Major Oak and have loved the great tree ever since. In October 2000 I collected 500 acorns from the Major Oak and planted them in 3 inch pots at home. Here they got "tender-loving-care" and the best ones were potted up next May into 5 inch pots. When they were a year old, many were straight, sturdy and over a foot high. The best 300 saplings were potted up into 10 litre pots the second year. My back garden was rather full of pots, as you can imagine!

At first my intention was to give these "mini-Major Oak" saplings away free to organisations and other enthusiasts who could collect the trees themselves. This will still be done in special cases where sufficient need can be established.

But problems loomed, many people from abroad wrote to me asking for saplings or acorns, and I soon discovered this was not permitted by Customs without raising a Phytosanitary Certificate at considerable expense and effort.

In 2002 I was fortunate enough to purchase at an Auction a 7 acre pasture field in Dorset, surrounded by mature hedges and trees, and well away from the "madding crowd". Researching old Tithe Maps at the Dorset Record Office revealed that this field was involved in the Inclosures Act and in 1813 nearby fields were called "Great Wood" and "Little Wood". Today the trees have vanished, but an idea was planted in my head.

In 2004 I planted my best 270 "mini Major Oaks" in the 7 acre field, where I hope they will be able to grow into a miniature Sherwood Forest. This is a long-term project, and I will never live to see the trees in all their mature glory, but at least I can start them on their way with love and respect and help them grow in age and stature as did their famous parent

I too collected several acorns (3) and put them in my pocket. Without realising I stiil had them on arrival back in Australia. Result ? I have a fine son(?daughter) growing in my front garden.

• Upvote 8

Talk of the Major Oak, reminds me of the dying wish of Robin Hood, as he lay on his deathbed..................Propping himself up on his pillows, he drew his bow saying............bury me where this arrer' lands, so they buried him on top of the wardrobe....................I'll get me coat!! kickme

• Upvote 6