• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am an ex forester and for me the best thing they can do is, 1: collect the acorns and grow a replacement, and 2: while they are waiting for them to grow, cut off the branches and pollard it, it will

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, reading through this, I was going to bring this book to Basfordred's attention, in this WW1 anniversary year I would suggest it as 'THE' must re

Thought this was interesting. New Sherwood Hello, my name is John Palmer and I live in Dorset, England. When I was a boy I was taken to see the Major Oak and have loved the great tree ever since. In

Basfordred, maybe you should read "Goodbye To All That" Graves' autobiography about life in the trenches during the first world war! I think he has earned his accolades.

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, reading through this, I was going to bring this book to Basfordred's attention, in this WW1 anniversary year I would suggest it as 'THE' must read book on WW1, and let us not forget 'I Claudius' written by Graves, a magnificent couple of books and Derek Jacobi's introduction to the public via the superb BBC series of the 70's.

But I digress!!

I was lucky enough to have an uncle living in Edwinstowe during the 50's/60's, he was caretaker of Edwinstowe school, just in case anyone on here went there and remembered the lovely Eric Brown. My cousin Linda and I used to spend a lot of time climbing in and out of the Major Oak, it was guarded in those days by an old boy who used to sit next to it in a deckchair, I recall that the dodgy boughs were held up by chains and rings attached to other 'safe' parts of the tree even then. Linda, who now lives in Morecambe has some photos of us in the tree from that happy time, when the funfair only appeared at Easter and the annual pageant on the forest green was the local village highlight, it always seemed to be a cross between Robin Hood and the 'White Lady' from Rufford Abbey, anyone recall any of this, somewhere I have a photo of Uncle Eric gracefully playing the 'White Knight' in the pageant, anyone remember this?

As far as vandalism is concerned, I'm the tree warden for our local nature reserve. 100 yards away from where I'm sitting writing this is the oldest oak tree in the area, probably about when Elizabeth 1 went on her local tours. The local druggies, arseholes and scum use it as their hang out place, try to set it on fire, treat it like shit, chuck their crap all over the place, they want flame throwers playing on them. I've tried to talk to these people but their respect for anything as historic as this goes over their heads, they don't give a shit.

Sums it up really, doesn't it.

• Upvote 9

Considering it was a fairly important event in the history of this country, it's almost ignored here. It's not only Robin Hood that gets underplayed; the only reference to Charles raising his standard around here is this pathetic stone in the middle of the road at Standard Hill. I'll bet almost no-one knew this was even there.

standard.jpg

I have known it was there for many years. Apart from the almost myth of Robin Hood, Nottingham does seem to underrate its historical importance. Charles I didnt choose Nottingham to raise the standard by accident. It was strategically important at the time. The battles between the Cromwellians and the Royalists in Nottingham are very interesting indeed.

• 1 month later...

What happens if they find coal?

Don't spoil it for us Bilboro-lad! Wherever I've been in the World, if someone asks me where I come from and I say 'Nottingham', folk will always say 'Ah, Robin Hood' ....... Often followed by 'Nottingham Forest and Brian Clough'

Brian Clough? who's that then?! Did he really exist? Worrabaht Jack Dunnet - now he really DID exist :)

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

On the News tonight. Notts County Council considering getting a private company to run the Major Oak, or more accurately Sherwood Forest Park and Visitor centre. Hmmm. Very interesting.

• 2 months later...

I think it will outlast all of us on here.

My Grandfather first took me to see it when I was six.

He told me all about the legend of Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

He also told me that his own Grandfather had taken him to see it when he was the same age as I was then.

It stirred my imagination and afterwards I read as much as possible about their exploits in Sherwood Forest.

His Grandfather had also told him to make sure to take his own Grandchildren in the future.

He said the same thing to me.........

Unfortunately I do not have any (yet) so I hope it does hang around for a lot longer.

Smiffy

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...