Old friends - Alfred Street North

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know the name but I am still looking . I woz adopted when I was 18 month old that's is when I started living at the chip shop . in the last 4 years ive found 2 brothers and 3 sisters that I ne

Hello James, I lived at the sweet shop on the corner of Garibaldi Terrace until about 1966. Is that too early? I'm attaching a picture of your chip shop. I have a few more of Alfred St North if you'

Gjk re #51 Many Thanks for solving the whereabouts of the Dairy Stables. We will be in Nottingham early next Wednesday. Family visiting in Gedling: a couple of Cemetery calls and then a bit of free t

Posted Images

Hi there & welcome. I am reasonably new also. I know of AlfredSt, Ithink my doctors was on that street but cant remember whether it was north or south. Drs. Lynd & Nelson any recollection?

Welcome to Nottstalgia James,

I had a lot of relations living around your area up to the late 1960s, but I am sorry I can't help. There may be someone on here with better knowledge of your area. Good Luck with your research.

I attended Dr Lynds surgery when I lived on Garnet St in the early 50's .

• 3 weeks later...

Hello James,

I lived at the sweet shop on the corner of Garibaldi Terrace until about 1966. Is that too early?

I'm attaching a picture of your chip shop. I have a few more of Alfred St North if you'd like them.

I have a memory of the chip shop proprietor, Mr Gibson?, coming a cropper on Heskey St when the front wheel of his bike jammed. His face hit Heskey St and he was in a real mess for a while.

My recollections are of Syson's down from you, Wagstaffs on the corner of Welbeck St and the maltings right behind you.

Cheers John Elliott

post-3434-0-52092600-1401667763_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Hello John,

I have just read your post above ,and looked at the image of Alfred St North, that you have shared with us. If you have any more, I too would like to see them very much. I went in the Chip Shop many times in the 1950/60s and it is so nice to see Alfred St North as I remember it.

When I worked at Raywarp in the 1960s, I used to call in Wagstaffs every morning for my Five Park Drives. If you have any more memories of that area John, I would like to read of them very much.

Hell again John,

I have taken another look at the image above and noticed that the houses appear to have three storey's.

There was a factory just a bit further up, on the same side as the Chip Shop and in the early 1960s my Aunt lived in the first house adjacent to it. Her back yard ran along side of the factory. Along the side of the factory there used to grow a lot of tall orange flowers, They looked wild, but i loved them. I have since learnt they are Montbretia, I never fail to think of there when I see those flowers today. I have tried to picture her house as to whether it was a two or three storey. Perhaps if you have any more pictures, we will be able to see.

CliffTon,

Many Thanks,

You found quite a lot for us on Picture the Past a while ago. There were some great pics of Alfred St North ( which are of particular interest to me) and also Central and South. Some memories of walking to work and visiting family along those Roads brought back for me. I am always waiting for the chance some one will have some new images to view. I was surprised at the Three Storey houses and how my memory has got distorted over the years.

Cliff, thanks for the PTP pics of Alfred St particularly Central where my childhood was spent. Re pic on page 2, #15762, this is actually Pollards chemists shop, the Post Office was through the large entry at the side and if memory serves correctly was a sorting office. I have fond memories of shopping on Alfred St Central as I have posted some time back.

That's great,

That looks like the way I remember Wagstaffs with the steps up to the door. I used to love the smell in there. Probably a mixture of Tobacco and Sweets. ( or is it Duddoos). Judging by the houses in the picture, my Aunt's must have been a Three Storey one, as it was probably just a few houses further down the street. I believe the houses just up the side of the Mechanics Arms on Vicarage St were Two Storey, but I remember a curtain on the landing between the two bedrooms, and steps up to what i thought was the loft, with beds in there! I always thought Granddad had converted the loft into an extra bedroom, but perhaps it was Three Storey as well? Do you have any recollections of those houses?

The first picture ends at Heskey St corner. Above that was the factory, then five houses, then Welbeck St.

The second picture shows four and a half of those five houses. So, take your pick but that's all the houses there were.

I've three more pictures:-

1. Forest coach 1959 with the FA Cup, factory behind.

2. Forest coach 1959 with the FA Cup, looking up the street, similar to pic 2 but with a lot more people.

3. Factory from within Garibaldi Terrace.

Unfortunately, the site is telling me that I've used up my allowance and won't allow anymore attachments to be uploaded.

The best way to post photos is to use a repostitory like Photobucket or Flickr, and C&P the IMG code to here.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I think the shops on Alfred St. North were working up from Woodborough Rd

Right side

Co-op between Baptist Church and Marple St.

Sweet shop midway between Marple St. and Bangor St.

Off-licence (beer off ) corner of Bangor St.opposite primary school.

Sweet shop first corner of garibaldi terrace.

Greengrocers (Jones's) other corner of terrace.

Cobbler first corner of Lincoln Terrace.

Off-licence (beer off) other corner of terrace (Bulmers?)

Left side

Hardware shop between Woodborough Rd.and Saxon Place.

Newsagents between Saxon Place and Norman Place.

Chip shop corner of Heskey St.

Newsagents (Wagstaffs) corner of Welbeck St.

Cafe (Reddyhough's) corner of Kilbourn St.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 2

Hi GJK

I remember some of the shops you have listed, but my Grandparents lived on Vicarage St, which was in between Welbeck St and KilbournSt, There was a Tattooist on the corner opposite The Mechanics Arms. Do you remember the Name as we have tried, but none of the family can remember.Quite a few of my relations had tattoos done there. The last one being the summer of 1966, My Brother in law had an Eagle with my sisters name added, I remember so well as I was across the road visiting my sick Granddad when he was having it done. I never got the chance to go often after 1966, and I have forgotten just how many shops there were. Thank you for the reminder, you have jogged my memory.