Old friends - Alfred Street North

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know the name but I am still looking . I woz adopted when I was 18 month old that's is when I started living at the chip shop . in the last 4 years ive found 2 brothers and 3 sisters that I ne

Hello James, I lived at the sweet shop on the corner of Garibaldi Terrace until about 1966. Is that too early? I'm attaching a picture of your chip shop. I have a few more of Alfred St North if you'

Gjk re #51 Many Thanks for solving the whereabouts of the Dairy Stables. We will be in Nottingham early next Wednesday. Family visiting in Gedling: a couple of Cemetery calls and then a bit of free t

Posted Images

Hi Carni,

I can remember tattooist being on the corner of either Welbeck St. or Vicarage St. but sorry the name of the shop eludes me.

I lived on Garibaldi Terrace from birth 1946 until we moved for the demolition of the area.We were the first families to move.The area of Garibaldi and Lincoln Terraces was where the construction compounds were sited.

Hi GJK,

I wondered if you or someone can solve some thing for me. My Granddad, who was a Skilled Blacksmith in his early life in Mansfield. He moved to Nottingham, just before the War and lived on Vicarage St. He worked just round the corner and up towards Mansfield Road on the Mechanics Arms side of the road. It was some where opposite the Raywarp factory. I can't remember if it was a garage or some other small metal works business. Any Ideas. His name was Fred Johnson. Ring any bells?

BOUGHT my 1st car from Johnsons on Mansfield rd,.........going up on left hand side just before Forest rd,1964.still got reciept £150.

Hi Carni,Do not know if this helps,At the top of Alfred St.next up from the cafe on the corner of Kilbourn St. and opposite the end of the Raywarp factory (Old Knowes Factory) there were the stables for the,Midland Model Dairy.

Maybe he was employed there as a blacksmith to shoe the ponies.

Can not remember when it closed but I used to be taken by "Auntie Gurtie" who owned the cafe to see the ponies.There were quite a lot of them,I remember two rows of stalls with about fifteen or so down each side.

I would have been about 5 or 6 at the time so around 1951/52.

GJK,

Well, that information seems to fit the bill perfectly. He was a Blacksmith, so I can't imagine anything else. It has played on my mind for years as to what he actually did there. With you mentioning Ponies, that says every thing. Thank you. By the way, Mam used to take us in the cafe as a treat. We always had a Cheese Cob each, and had to sit very still and behave, which was very hard to do, with your brother kicking your ankles under the table. When I see Crusty Cobs on sale after all these years I still think of that treat in your Aunt's Cafe.

Carni,

Glad that helps.

The lady I called Auntie Gertie was not my actual aunt.

Her name was Gertie Reddyhough she owned the cafe,she owned several properties in the area and ran the Christmas diddlum around the Alfred St. area.(and elsewhere I believe).

Her husband was Ernie and she had a son named keith,he was apilot in the R.A.F.

She made her start up money by selling cups of tea at the cafe to the army troops stationed on the Forest.My mother told me there so many of them she brewed it in buckets and sold it for one penny a cup

She and Ernie (he worked on the railway) would be seen on Friday nights driving around the area in a big black Humber car collecting rents and diddlum monies.

She was a very imposing woman always wore an astrakhan coat

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this helps with memories.

If you go to Video footage of Nottingham and open,Nottingham City centre mid 1960's run video and at the end click on video 'Old St. Anns, by Richard Pearson' (picture of gates of Robin Hood Chase)

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have a photograph of 101 Alfred Street South in St Anns Nottingham

This is where I lived as a kid & I would just love to see it again. It was just before

Blue Bell Hill & Robin Hood Street-near to Agers greengrocers- Perrins Chemist-

Margaret's Wool shop & a butchers- here's hoping!

• 4 months later...

Hello Terry, Welcome to Nottstalgia.

I am always interested in peoples memories about the Alfred St North area of Nottingham, in particular, as this is where alot of my memories are.

On #23, GJK has given us a list of shops. He mentions a Sweet Shop on the corner of Garibaldi Terrace. Could this be the Shop your parents ran? I look forward to reading your memories of Alfred St and any people you remember.

I hope you enjoy yourself on Nottstalgia. Keep Posting.

I assume our shop was the grocers on the corner of Garabaldi Terrace. I played with the lad who's parents ran the chip shop. Went to the Elms school, and my best friend was Steven Morton Who, I think lived on Lincoln terrace. Attended cubs, and Sunday School at the church at the corner of Woodborough road. Also went to Boys Brigade at the hall opposite the mechanics arms. Have many memories, but alas have forgotten all other names. Someone may remember my parents Mary, and Bill who ran the shop, and who also lived on Welbeck street in the 50's. Will post a few more memories tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Attended the Elms school, but also went to the Annex on Banger St, and I think a little further up the road was a brewery. Can still remember the smell to this day. Each week, I Think, Shipstones horses used to go down the street. I remember being knocked down by a bike as I ran down the road watching them. After school would often take a walk to Victoria station and sit on the wall to watch the trains.

The shop was on 4 levels. A basement where the outside toilet was. Shop level with kitchen at the back, and a living area between the shop , and kitchen. The living area had a black range, as far as I remember to bath we had a tin bath in front of this range. The third level was sitting room with television, and bedroom. The top level was huge ,and used as bedroom. Definitely no Mod Cons.

There was an old lady who lived on the terrace (Right Side) who I remember heating a poker, and putting it in her beer to warm it. Used to play in a house on this side, in the top bedroom as there was lots of old electronic devices, and we used to pretend they were army devices. The first bit of the terrace. I remember a wall where we used to Skim collectable cards, or cigarette packets. Nearest the wall won the cards. Cannot remember a sweet shop, on the opposite side of the terrace to our shop

Has anybody got any photos of Garabaldi Terrace.

Will try to rack my brains for more memories

• Upvote 2

Also went to Bangor St.and Elms schools then Huntingdon St.

Well remember Shippos horse delivering to Craven pub they always came down Alfred St.

People who had the grocers shop befor your mam and dad were the Jones family.

The old lady with the hot beer was Mrs. Brown at number 4 Garabaldi Terrace.

The house with the electronic devices was number 2 Mrs. Baxters.

The sweet shop opposite your shop was run the Elliot family,thier son John is CATFOOT earlier in this thread.

• Upvote 1

Wow GJK. Where are the thirty nine steps !!

Just been talking to my Mum, and she mentioned Mrs Knight, and her children Marie, Terry, Jenny, and other son who married Gill. Gill worked for a time with my sister Carol.

She also mentioned Anne Elliot.

I also remember a factory further up Albert street North , the first bit of its drive had a store with bags of long canes in we used to play in.

Also Mechanics Arms children's trip to Twycross Zoo. Remember them giving us 2/6 (half crown ) pocket money each.

There was also a chap, who used to pick you up, and rub his stumble on your face (in fun). he lived on the right side of the terrace as well.

Well lif3campitd your Mum got me I am Mrs. Knight's son.

To correct my earlier post the family that ran the grocers before yours were named Freeman.

Anne was John Elliots sister.

The factory you mention was just above Lincoln Terrace,they had a massive coke pile at the back of thier yard which we used to run to the the top of and slid down on our back sides.

The old chap with the stubble was Mr.Sinclare who lived at number 1.

You and I must have gone to school together I am 68 years of age how old are you now.

• Upvote 1

Hi GJK

My actual name is Terry, but only 57 (58 in Feb), so a few years between us. We left the shop , I think, Just before the terrace was demolished. I remember playing in the houses that were abandoned, and a right mess they were.

This info was got in a very short phone conversation with my Mum. Having the shop she would have many more memories, and names she would remember

Also remember the air raid shelter at the top of the chase (top of Alfred street). Cavendish cinema Saturday mornings., and Banger street having a fantastic cobbled street. One strange memory was of a window cleaner falling off his ladder, I think, he came in to the shop with blood pouring from his leg? I remember my dad trying to stop the blood flow.

My dada local was the Zetland arms

Thanks CliffTon,

The map is brilliant. I can see my Aunt's House: the first one at the side of the Lace Factory. Grandma,s house was 4th up from the Mechanics Arms on Vicarage St. After the next house: you can even see the entry where we spent a lot of time playing.

Hi Terry my name is Greg.

Were you always called Terrance as a youngster?

I remember all the things you mention with the exception of the window cleaner accident.

No rush but if you speak to your Mum ask her if she can remember what company the factory opposite Garabaldi Terrace was owned by.

With regard to Bangor St. being cobbled have a look at the thread Wot appn'd t'all them.

I also left when the demolition began spring 1967 I think, I was twenty years old then.