Norton Street and Denman Street Central

Hi guys, hope everyone is fine and well. Was on my way home today and thought I'd take a few quick snaps on my phone of how the area is looking currently, especially now the huge building on Norton Street has now been demolished.

74e3d5a3ab1e31db0ad7fd8093314b93.jpg

11f0fe3af8b3a0b5999b6ddc417e5199.jpg

Also, any history on this old pub or what it used to be/what used to be in it's place...

996b62dc7b3a87a8b149024d5ab08494.jpg

Oh and here is a picture of the clothes shop that I think Babs mentioned and asked me about in a previous thread, I think it's fair to say it's been shut down for a while!

97c03d6e589e830ff157f3c90e186822.jpg

Apologises that the photos aren't too great, as I said they were taken quickly from my phone on my walk home.

• Upvote 2

I take it you mean where Radford Mill was...and the pub was Sir Garnet Wolsey....Good name the Globe seeing as folks living round there come from all over it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Melissa, what is the tall old building in pic #1?

The pub is typical of early 70s architectural design - Crap!

Yes Poohbear where Radford Mill was. Mum worked in the building next to it. I had no idea the pub was initially called that. I've always known it as the Globe. I remember going in with my parents when it was open quite a few years ago a very wide array of people for sure.

Mick, the tall building to the left of the pic I believe is now a hairdresser supplies warehouse. Would be curious to know what that was previously in it's day too!

That building was part of the mill.There was a ramp from the part of the mill I worked in (Not a mill then) to that building.They used to push trucks of hosiery up there to another department.The ramp was smooth with foot grips either side so the trucks must have been heavy.

Throughout the mill there were cast iron brackets still in place overheadfor the belts than ran the machinery...all powered from the engine house in the middle.Must've been very noisy...example in the pic.

In the boiler house there was a gigantic beam engine that ran everything...I bet they scrapped it.

In my day that building was used to manufacture printed carrier bags.

2yw8s1w.jpg

yes i think so mellisa i sometimes sit on denman st in the car when dave nipps round the corner to jerrys tackle shop on radford bulivard. to get his fishing bait will be going on mondday as daves going fishing on tuesday

Looks like it would have even extremely noisy Poohbear. Mum worked at the buliding which is still standing. I believed it's a listed building. It's the building which Viyella Works once used if I'm not wrong but she worked there, then called Riche Fashions for most of her life.

Babs, my father is also a regular at Jerrys. You never know I might see you around the area one day :)

be there tommorow as dave fishing on tuesday i have the day to myself hope it stays nice then ill go into town for an hour or two. mayby hook up and have a coffee with friends.

• Upvote 1

The final building incorporating the tower was built in the 1900s on the site of the Perseverance Iron Foundry and the Midland Moulding Works.

On several occasions in the 80s the exterior of the mill site was used for filming period pieces for television.

• Upvote 1

I'll be on my way into town tomorrow passing Denman Street on my way so may see you out and about Babs.

Thanks for the link Dave. Will check it out!

Didn't know it was used for filming period dramas Poohbear. Thanks for that info :)

I can't remember offhand the names of the period dramas filmed there...not my cup of tea so didn't pay it much attention. But one day 'props' built a small market on site..fruit 'n' veg stalls, the lot. A few 1920s cars knocking about to get the feel.

It looked so good that in the middle of filming a little black bloke with a flat cap and a shopping bag insisted on trying to buy some veg...they had a heck of a job convincing him that it wasn't a proper market. In fact I think the director packed his bag full of free veg just to get rid of him. :biggrin:

Another time they concealed wall fans etc behind posters printed in German when they wanted to recreate an alleyway in East Berlin.

• Upvote 1

Dunno exactly...The same year I made this Great White for the new Disneyland Paris.Those old mill walls saw some strange sights...now all gone.

2vs0lm0.jpg

I wonder how many families have made a living out of those premises over the years? All the jobs gone to sunny China now.

4kfvch.jpg

• Upvote 1

Someone I knew was the landlord at Sir Garnet Wolsey for a while. Dave Walters. He was there until he was offered a better establishment in Beeston and I can't remember what the name of that is.

my great grama and her family lived on lea st inthat area of radford she was a lace hand so posibly worked at that mill or one of the others in the area. that was once they left radford workhouse were they were in1891 cencus still a lace hand. .

• Upvote 1