my big pet hate is Rudeness,whilst i think Nottingham folk are among the friendliest in the country we do have our share of the other type.I Was brought up in the retail trade and being polite was a prerequisit (spelling/?) so it is second nature to me.

Sir,miss and madam was the only form of address allowed,now its mate,darling and bloody babe.I Cycle most mornings and generally see the same people,dog walkers,joggers,other cyclist etc,while most give you a friendly "good morning" some just blank you,even after "a good morning" from you,which i persist with a second one.Now they are talking about teachers being addressed by their 1st names,this will undermine respect,i am sure,

So just cheer someone up with a cheery hello and a smile,costs nowt!

• Upvote 7
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my big pet hate is Rudeness,whilst i think Nottingham folk are among the friendliest in the country we do have our share of the other type.I Was brought up in the retail trade and being polite was a p

I find it very annoying and rude when people talk, mainly unnecessarily, in theatres, concerts and gigs, especially at small venues. It happened to me once at a small venue and I asked them to be quie

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.

Thats it,nice one darkazana,and good morning to you madam,

• Upvote 1

I too hate being called sir.

Christmas 2005, we spent in Los Angeles to visit family.

SWMBO insisted we stay in a 5 star hotel, Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, lovely hotel.

I absolutely hated it, Sir this, Sir that, Carry you bags sir? Park your car Sir? Get you car sir? Taxi Sir?

Not for me, thank you very much!

I find customer service poor and rude in this country, but then again there are many customers who don't realize good customer service works both ways, and are themselves rude. I'm also irritated by the expression, 'he doesn't tolerate fools gladly' which, as once remarked to me, is just another excuse for being rude; after all, we're all somebody's fool at some time or other. Then there's, 'I call a spade a spade' which is fine as long as people accept someone calling a spade a spade in return.

• Upvote 2

A smile lifts peoples spirits. As we pass fishermen or the barges on the Canal, we always say Hello or wave. You would be surprised how many people do return the greeting, but there are a few whose faces stay like stone. I sometimes think they must be very unhappy or have worries to never want to smile. It's over in a moment and we have passed on our way. I know some people like solitude, I love silence and solitude at times, so I do understand. But it doesn't take much time to just acknowledge with a nod of the head or that smile. :)

• Upvote 5

Get a dog ....... dog walkers usually acknowledge one another, except yobbos with trophy dogs! We have strange neighbours directly opposite our house. They won't even look in our direction, never mind smile. In 10 years the bloke has spoken to us twice, one time when his cat was up a tree in our garden (I think because our dog chased it up there;-) ) and the second time when he reversed out of his driveway and bumped into a car belonging to a visitor to our house. I've actually walked almost alongside each of them along the road but I may as we'll be invisible. There's nowt so queer as folk.

• Upvote 2

We had two Irish Setters and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of their lives with us. We covered many miles walking with them, but it was at a time when the trend for the trophy dogs wasn't around. I would be to afraid to walk a dog around here (though I imagine it's every where). We see a lot of people with dogs that they have to put on the lead as we pass, and they can only just control the animal as it strains to wards us. It's a shame, but there seems to be more of these kind of dogs than the traditional family pets around our parts.

I do a lot of walking in the countryside and I would say the majority of people you meet out and about say hello. Even some cyclist say "thank you" if you step to one side to let them pass.

I would also say that probably 8 out 10 people say " thank you" to the driver when departing the bus.

• Upvote 3

G'Day mate..

Mick re #10. I think over here a lot of folks learned to say sir and ma'am in school. It was dinged into them, and the habit stuck. I quite like it, especially if trying to get someone's attention, better to say Sir? Than to say Hey you?

Carni re #13, we spent a few days on our cousin's narrow boat, and they greeted every boat that passed them. As did the other boaters.

We spent this last winter in an active retired community, and without exception, everyone on the 2 mile circuit around the place, greeted their fellow walkers. I do think the older generation is more friendly, for one thing they aren't all thumbing away on their phones as they walk!

• Upvote 5

Communication to passing strangers disappeared with the coming of the motor car...Pedestrians and horse riders were at a speed and distance from each other to pass the time of day or a friendly nod.

I rarely see my neighbours to acknowledge them...it's in the car,out the drive, and gone.

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid among many people bad manners are here to stay. It seems that the words please and thank you are becoming extinct. You only have to drive around anywhere to see how bad it's got.

IN MANSFIELD THE OTHER DAY,and i am not saying mansfield is any worse than anywhere else i went in Sportsdirect (not to breast fead) as i walked past the entrance with products the alarm went off, i quiped to an assistant" good job i didnt try to leg it int it" his reply was "you wouldnt have got far" i told him what a pr..k he was and i could still have outrun him,i thought after i should have told him i am not too old to "smash your face in".

• Upvote 3

Politeness costs nothing and generally gets far more out of people than rudeness or aggression. If politeness wasn't useful you wouldnt have McDonald's or any other successful company having a script for customers. Politeness is useful for everyone else too.

• Upvote 1