Some people like to be called Sir or Madam. One lady who didn't like being called Madam was Cynthia Payne in the seventies/eighties. Remember the men paying with Luncheon Vouchers?..lol. To some extent, I think a persons upbringing has a bearing on their attitude in later life. How many times have you seen a screaming kid with the mother screaming back at it. I don't mean babies, I mean kids of 4/5/6+. Their home life must be terrible. They grow up to think that this is normal behaviour, hence the rudeness and bad attitude.

It's easy to look down on these people but, given a different childhood they'd have had a better chance in life. If I walk through a door and someone is approaching I'll always wait for them with the door open. It's very rare that they don't thank me. As for shop assistants calling you 'darling' and 'love', they're just being friendly and I'd never be offended by that.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my big pet hate is Rudeness,whilst i think Nottingham folk are among the friendliest in the country we do have our share of the other type.I Was brought up in the retail trade and being polite was a p

I find it very annoying and rude when people talk, mainly unnecessarily, in theatres, concerts and gigs, especially at small venues. It happened to me once at a small venue and I asked them to be quie

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.

I agree with some of that Michael but not all,yes its their upbringing and thats changed for some and they mean well,but i do believe retail companys could do a lot more in teaching their staff some common curtisies,as for CYNTHIA PAYNE now she was a Madam.lol.

• Upvote 1

I agree that being addressed as sir or madam is perhaps correct and shows that the customer is being treated with respect. I would welcome this but, like I stated, I wouldn't mind being greeted in a less formal and more friendly way. By the way, you've been coming up with some good topics lately.

• Upvote 1

When a copper pulled me over it went like this "Do you know what the speed limit is Sir?" me (looking terrified) "Err, 40 I think" "no, it's 30 Sir & you were doing 35, will you step out of the car please Sir." I then got a bollocking with lots of 'sirs' in it & told me if he caught me again I'd be for the high jump. At least he was polite. Phew lucky escape..

The best copper that pulled me,asked me "what do you know about this car?"(for some reason it had been reported stolen) it was a Rover 75 all the gubbins,i replied "its bloody lovely heated seats sun roof terrific sound system etc",he said dont f..k about sir,terific i thought and real bless him.

The wife was buying shoes and I sat nearby. A family entered and a girl started trying shoes standing up but as there were no seats left, I offered mine. Then this, well, I can only call her a woman, said, "You stay where you are. You're older than her"! This was certainly true but I asked what she was implying, which gave the shoe trying girl hysterics. Some polite people can be offensive! :glare:

When teaching hairdressing NVQ 2 Customer Service came in and trying to teach 16-18year olds was a nightmare.

If I am in a shop and being served by a grumpy shop assistant I am sorry but I can't help myself I will always ask them if

they are happy in there work and this always gets a smile, if not I just tell them that there's always someone to take

their place.

Other times do you find when waiting to be served you go invisible?

I agree with Catfan and Benjamin 1945 Go to USA Customer Service is excellent

• Upvote 1

I will attest to US police being polite and understanding far beyond our UK police.

I was in Boston, and as is my usual practice when I am affected by time differences, I went for a walk. This was late at night, possibly after midnight. I left the hotel and immediately outside of the hotel door was a man wearing a leather jock strap and covered in foam, and nothing else. Perhaps understandably I found this difficult to comprehend, and when I was invited to join the party (a splash and dance party - I dont know what it is and I dont wanna know) I freaked out. Within seconds I was surrounded by many others wearing not a lot more than foam and leather. The police arrived very rapidly and for the first few seconds they were totally incapacitated by laughter. Apparently my eyes were wider than saucepan lids.

Very quietly the police explained that there was a gay bar in the basement of the hotel and that it was nothing to be concerned about. With my last vestige of common sense left, I asked that if I walked into Boston Common wearing just a jock strap would they arrest me? They said "No Sir, that is normal here. Not an offense"

• Upvote 1

Went into a sports shop on clumber street for some clothes with my family for my 5 year old grandson and went downstairs to a dark dismal room the staff was dressed in crap sports wear, never smiled never said can I help you, went to pay for the goods, again never smiled just rolled up the sports clothes [not folded] and put in the bag.

Don't like them when they are polite. They are only after me money.

I much prefer "Are you gonna buy owt if you aint stop touchin it. I aint got all day.

Was in a shop a while back and the female assistant kept calling me "Darling", "Baby" at every opportunity. I did'nt mind but Mrs Catfan was ready to claw her eyes out !

• Upvote 2

I wish more young girls would call me darling. LOL. Mind you ANYTHING is better than some of the names I get called.

More seriously. When I was a child, when I went on a bus with my mum, If any adult was standing, I was expected to give up my seat. I would still give up my seat to the elderly (even though I'm an old git myself).

Was in a shop a while back and the female assistant kept calling me "Darling", "Baby" at every opportunity. I did'nt mind but Mrs Catfan was ready to claw her eyes out !

I've experienced the same sort of thing and can only explain it by assuming the girls take one look, know I'm no kind of threat and, 'give the poor old sod a treat'!

• Upvote 1

I've experienced the same sort of thing and can only explain it by assuming the girls take one look, know I'm no kind of threat and, 'give the poor old sod a treat'!

How right you possibly are !

A taxi driver entered a police station to produce his driving documents in the 1970's.

Copper: "This driving licence has expired, that's an offence!"

TD: "No speak any English"

"You were not licensed to drive a vehicle when you were stopped"

"No speak English"...

"I have to report you for driving without a licence!"

"No understand? speak no English"

etc.

After several minutes of this... in exasperation...

Copper: "GO! and don't drive any vehicle until you get a new licence!"

TD exits front door of the police station...

Copper: "excuse me I think you dropped that fiver?"

TD puts hands in pockets and turns to look down behind him.

Copper: Yer bleddy understood that dint yer!

A true story I am reliably told.

• Upvote 2

I find it very annoying and rude when people talk, mainly unnecessarily, in theatres, concerts and gigs, especially at small venues. It happened to me once at a small venue and I asked them to be quiet as people had paid to listen to the music not them and they stopped talking. A friend of mine once went to a gig and the artist on stage stopped performing and told someone to stop talking or leave.

• Upvote 6