• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my big pet hate is Rudeness,whilst i think Nottingham folk are among the friendliest in the country we do have our share of the other type.I Was brought up in the retail trade and being polite was a p

I find it very annoying and rude when people talk, mainly unnecessarily, in theatres, concerts and gigs, especially at small venues. It happened to me once at a small venue and I asked them to be quie

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice.

While staying with our daughter in Sandiacre a couple of months ago, I went into Derby on the bus one day. It happened to be school chucking out time, and at the top of the hill towards Risley a load of kids got on from Friesland school. Now I know the sort of thing you think I'm about to say next - but you're wrong! Every one of those kids, without exception, said thank you to the driver when they got off - even if some of them did have earphones strapped to their heads, and were double-thumb texting at the time. I have to say I was impressed.

• Upvote 3

I think a lot of this disrespect for authority can be put down to some TV programs especially Eastenders, some new kid on the block starts mouthing off at it's elders and is not pulled up about it, no wonder some of the kids today try to emulate these people.

It's alright these soaps bringing present day issues to the small screen but I think a lot of these issues are created by the soaps ie:bad manners and rudeness in the young,young people need to have their imagination stimulated not left to fend for themselves as portrayed in the soaps,young people are our future and for the most part are fantastic human beings with such a lot to offer,it's up to the older generation to bring out the best in these youngsters and praise them for what they are not show them in a bad light with no hope for the future as they are seen to be in the soap opera's.

well that's what I think

Rog

• Upvote 2

I DON"T watch the soaps anymore,just see snippits when the wife watches them,the snippits ive seen are of ,thieving,murders,lesbianism,men kissing,aids,the list goes on,how inspiring for the young of this country who must reckon all the afore mentioned is normal,why dont the writers/producers try and inspire us with a bit of humour,like they used to do?

• Upvote 2

A real gentleman

Waiting for a bus there was an old gent before me, when the bus came he touched the front of his cap "after you my dear" and we thought manners had gone out the window.

Honestly some people take offence at anything, I met a bloke with no legs at the bus stop, all I said was "How ya getting on?"

• Upvote 2

I DON"T watch the soaps anymore,just see snippits when the wife watches them,the snippits ive seen are of ,thieving,murders,lesbianism,men kissing,aids,the list goes on,how inspiring for the young of this country who must reckon all the afore mentioned is normal,why dont the writers/producers try and inspire us with a bit of humour,like they used to do?

Having just lost an old RAF mate from heart attack (he was a heavy smoker) the thing that really upsets and annoys me is the ever increasing smoking on TV at the moment. Either a few brown envelopes to the TV companies or the government is pushing the fags for more tax.

You are going to shout me down you smokers and tell me about the cost to the NHS of smoking,but I will reply its more than made up for the 10 years of pension etc they will not have to pay you.

Gone are the days I remember as a student when I read that between a third and a half of the NHS cost came from the tax on tobacco!

Smokers pay more than their fair share of the NHS cost of smoking. Approx 80% of the cost of a packet of fags is tax ! Smokers also die younger, so less pensions for the govt to pay out.

What happens when everyone has quit smoking, where's the revenue coming from then ?

There are thousands of different taxes in UK. The Institute for Fiscal Studies compiled a report that said Gordon Brown has imposed 157 'stealth tax' rises since 1997. ,so don`t worry . If the worst happens,we can still keep borrowing a BILLION each week to pay the interest on our present debts.

I still wish they would stop pushing smoking onto the young via film and TV.

I thought it was hardly seen on TV or film Stan , I may be wrong, but I haven't seen smoking on TV for ages.

I thought it was hardly seen on TV or film Stan , I may be wrong, but I haven't seen smoking on TV for ages.

We must watch different series. In Inspector Gently (just watched) they were chain smoking,and in many other British and Australian soaps. It`s just that as a non smoker its very noticeable. On visits to Uk also,there seems to be a very high incidence in the young females I encounter.

• Upvote 1

In Inspector Gently (just watched) they were chain smoking

That series is set in the 1960s, so the amount of smoking is presumably to give it authenticity. In modern dramas, it's noticeable by its absence.

On visits to Uk also,there seems to be a very high incidence in the young females I encounter.

That's something I've noticed too. If you look at the number of people smoking while walking along in the street, the majority seem to be young-ish women.

Just watched a recording of "Waking the Dead" from a few years back. Damn me, a woman smoking cheroots. What next!

Reasons why young girls smoke

Helps keep their weight down as it is an appetite inhibitor, which is why a lot of people who stop smoking put weight on.

To make them seem older and more mature

To help relieve anxiety and stress

Peer pressure, particularly if the boyfriend smokes

And of course if one or both of the parents smoke

I remember the blokes hanging round the downcast shaft at Hucknall pit taking their last drags of a fag before going underground. It was snuff & chewing baccy down there as smoking was a criminal offence down the pit. never tried chewing baccy but had the odd pinch of snuff, sneezed my brains out every time, lol.. :)

As metioned by Stan, I too noticed on the George Gently series, the total over the top use of cigarettes. It didn't enhance the plots in any way, just made me cringe every time they lit up.

My cynical mind but I suspect this and a lot of other period drama's, eg 50's 60's etc. due to the shortage of investment cash, are heavily sponsored or financed by tobacco companies in an attempt by them to rekindle the habbit and dwindling sales.

And as for needing it to keep it authentic, no way, it would still come across as the same quality of program. Smoking doesn't change the plot or make the acting better or worse (god I hate Martin Shaws attempt at a Northern lower class accent) but thats just my opinion.

Maybe we are a little more non smoking orientated here in Oz, as most smokers here are way in he minority and almost cast as social outcasts by many.

But as also said a lot of new smokers do appear to be young girls or women, if only they realised, it does nothing to enhance their image.

The same with tattoo's, another of my pet hates on women, but thats just me so will not go there.

I haven't read all the posts on this subject so hope I don't repeat whats already been said.Ithink its very rude if you send someone an email or letter and they don't at least acknowledge that they have received it and if they don't wish to comment

they can just say I don't wish to comment.Also same when you ring someone and for whatever reason they can't take the call at least have the decency to return the call.

• Upvote 1

#1 I always smile at people on the street if I catch eyes with them. I'd say only 40% of the time people actually smile back though!

Here, in the far north of Scotland it is the norm to smile and say hello to folk in the street - even if you don't know them. That is one of the positive aspects of living so far away from "Civilization". Another plus is good manners. "After you", "Please" and "Thank you" are used by the majority of people when using a door and even when driving. Of course, there are always the odd ones that ignore you.