Ive been looking at the section of the forum about areas of Nottingham. Could I request that Hyson Green is added to it? Either as part of the Radford section or one of its own?

Hyson Green was where I grew up so anything to do with Hyson Green is appreciated.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember Jean Metcalfe being on Family Favourites but not Pete Murray (#24). In the summertime my Mum would sit on the back doorstep, listening to Family Favourites as she shelled the peas for o

Ive been looking at the section of the forum about areas of Nottingham. Could I request that Hyson Green is added to it? Either as part of the Radford section or one of its own? Hyson Green was where

Posted Images

Told a bloke in Spain i spent alot of time at my auntys in pleasant row hyson green,he said how nice i bet that was lovely.

• Upvote 1

Like Crocus Street in the Meadows.

I remember so clearly Crocus Street, The Meadows being mentioned on Family Favourites one Sunday lunchtime way back in the 50s or 60s and my Mum ( who was a Meadows girl) laughing when Jean Metcalfe said what a lovely address it was.

my mums family lived on plimsol terace mercury dancer i remember when i was very small that when we came to goose fair we always went to see her uncle jackremember playing on the half dozen or so steps that led to the back doors of the terace and the the blue and red bricks that mde up the back yards but that all that i remember about it.

• Upvote 1

i live in forest fields now but even from my menorys of it its such a changed area now as with the meadows and st anns all have changed so much now forest fields hyson green has still got a lot of the old housing but its community has changed so much , many of the old houses have now gon in st anns and the meadows have gone but the original communities have gon forever.

• Upvote 1

my mums family lived on plimsol terace mercury dancer i remember when i was very small that when we came to goose fair we always went to see her uncle jackremember playing on the half dozen or so steps that led to the back doors of the terace and the the blue and red bricks that mde up the back yards but that all that i remember about it.

My sister lived on Plimsoll Terrace when she first got married (1966).

An uncle & aunt lived on Enfield Strret.

I lived (at home) on Birkin Ave & Hazlewood Road, 60s - 70s.

my mums uncle died about late sixties so dont think any of the henshaw family still lived on there by 1966

My sister lived on Plimsoll Terrace when she first got married (1966).

An uncle & aunt lived on Enfield Strret.

I lived (at home) on Birkin Ave & Hazlewood Road, 60s - 70s.

Catfan

My grandmother lived at 118 Birkin Avenue up till the point the houses were demolished. She lived there from the early 1930s (or late 1920s) until late into the 1980s.

I recall the strong sense of community then. I have never forgotten it.

Yep, we lived at No 59.

Incidently, I had to deliver a load of concrete blocks at "The Clock" a few months ago, seemed very strange going there after a gap of 40 odd years, my sister had a part time job there serving ale ! all those years ago.

I was born at Hyson Green. We had an outside loo and no bathroom me and my friend use to go to Noel St for a bath once a week.

All the kids played out together...skipping /marbles/hide and seek, no computers for us

• Upvote 2

re the forest, a certain football team played there, in the late 1950's/early 60's (and of course before, but not sure how long after) the the banked steps of where the crowds stood were still there, not sure if they dated from horse racing days? anyway were very bumpy to go down on a sledge having started from virtually forest road

I remember so clearly Crocus Street, The Meadows being mentioned on Family Favourites one Sunday lunchtime way back in the 50s or 60s and my Mum ( who was a Meadows girl) laughing when Jean Metcalfe said what a lovely address it was.

In the version I heard it was Pete Murray.

Not sure of exactly when she was referring to but recall my great aunt telling me when she and my grandmother having moved to Basford from a "posh" spa town Harrogate went looking for Hyson Green expecting some pleasant village setting and being most disappointed with the truth