Surprising, isn't it, how many of the primary schools from this era included older, wooden buildings from WW1 or WW2. Berridge also had them and I spent a year in one of them . Basic just about covered it but when you look at the exorbitant amounts of money being spent on new Academies, I doubt the resulting education is any better, if as good.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember Jean Metcalfe being on Family Favourites but not Pete Murray (#24). In the summertime my Mum would sit on the back doorstep, listening to Family Favourites as she shelled the peas for o

Ive been looking at the section of the forum about areas of Nottingham. Could I request that Hyson Green is added to it? Either as part of the Radford section or one of its own? Hyson Green was where

Posted Images

I thought Bestwood estate were the only ones with the old 'wooden huts' amazing what you learn o n Nottstsalgia,.........loved the 'huts' still remember mrs Taylor my first teacher ;hut one'  1950,..............kissed us all when leaving each day probably get locked up today,............

• Upvote 1

Opposite the baths was the engineering firm of T.W Eaton ( I used them for many years) but I think next door was some sort of laundry/wash house. Not been that way for 20 years but I recollect Mellish used to have their annual swimming gala there there as Northern Baths were too small. Not in the wash house of course!

The building opposite Noel Street baths was both a wash house and bath house. My wife's grandfather used to go there weekly for a bath. He did not have a bathroom at home other than a tin bath and it was often more convenient to go to Noel Street for a bath. 

I was at Forest Fields Grammar School on Stanley Rd 1961-6 and they made great use of Noel St swimming baths as part their PE activities.

I lived on Russell Rd and often went there on Saturdays too but the real bonus was that one evening a week Players social club used to use it. I had a school friend called Trevor Clarke who lived at the top of Noel St near the baths and both his parents worked for Players so Trevor and I used to get in for free that evening. It helped Trevor become an excellent swimmer.

Remember getting "crinkly" hands and smelling of Domestos like it was yesterday.

BTW there's a great picture on PTP of Noel St in the 20s or 30s with the basin boarded over for a dance I think.

The quality of the wood originally used for the changing cubicles was top drawer. Could even have been Mahogany 

• Like 1

Shanks's is the best way to see old bits of Nottm...I wandered from Canning Circus,along a very filthy Radford Road...Alberta stores can still be seen( the blue paint)..up Burford..then Duke Street..the Palm Tree had some great nights in there.

Gold & Dunne and Albany Road look shabby..holding a take away coffee i 

walked past Pitts and a Beruit style Elm Tree.

The brickwork in those houses is second to none...but most of the streets were stinky and unloved.

Forest Fields and Sherwood Rise was a great stamping ground for me in the mid70's to the mid 80's.

I laid two fellas out on the corner of Falcon St.whilst waiting for my Dad to tootle along in his Oxford...the wall still there..but lower..memories eh?

I used Noel St baths regularly in the 40's and 50's. Berridge Seniors used it too. When leaving the baths we would crowd into the bread shop and buy penny batches, fresh out of the oven.  After a swim on a chilly day those warm penny batches were the best food on Earth. Forgotten the name of the shop? 

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

There's a mention of Noel Street baths and its original use at #8 here https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/14757-old-roller-skating-rink/#comment-497365

Interesting and sorry to be contrary but I'm pretty confident Noel St was originally built as a swimming baths 

The picture on PTP I referred to earlier showing it boarded over might well have been how it was adapted for use as a roller skating rink but I find it hard to believe that was its original use

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

Found this forum tonight by chance  whilst looking through some old maps of Nottingham and  I typed in Forest Fields Grammar which I used to attend in the early sixties and which  now seems to have disappeared a  long long while ago. To my Astonishment I came across a post from MESS mentioning my name , Keith Brown aka Hovis.

I have not been in Nottingham since the very early seventies and have lived in Scotland for over 40 years now.

But still a Noots fan (which is difficult in a football mad city like Glasgow) but my local team are Albion Rovers, a bit like Notts were in those days under JImmy Sirrell. Tony Hateley was my hero and occasionally I see his grandson Tom turning out up here for Dundee. Course his dad used to play for Rangers up here.

So take care all you old Berridge junior and FF grammar kids and I will look in at the form in the future. Oh and yes I always knew Alan Allcock would do well .He was at one time my best pal and if I remember lived on Brushfield st. Just about opposite Sue Pollard, yes the famous Sue.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Hovis. Look forward to sharing your memories as a fellow Berridge and then Manning pupil. I grew up with Su Pollard who was my sister's best friend. I only recall her family living on Prospect Terrace, although the house was demolished many years ago.

There will be lots for you to peruse on this site. Enjoy it!  :rolleyes: