I know exactly where you mean, JohnS. I walked up to that area last March when a group of us visited Berridge.  Yes, all the corners had shops. Never far to go for sweets, chocs, veggies, etc. Sadly, the area is very different now and not for the better, either.

Do you recall a Sydney Amos as being among your neighbours?  He owned a coal merchants/ haulage business and lived in one of the Victorian villas near to you.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember Jean Metcalfe being on Family Favourites but not Pete Murray (#24). In the summertime my Mum would sit on the back doorstep, listening to Family Favourites as she shelled the peas for o

Ive been looking at the section of the forum about areas of Nottingham. Could I request that Hyson Green is added to it? Either as part of the Radford section or one of its own? Hyson Green was where

Posted Images

I still have amongst oddments from my Mother, a receipt for coal from  Sidney Amos who lived next door (37).
In 1956, 5bags (cwts) cost £1 13s 4d.

The other local coal merchant who was on Birkin Avenue, I think, was Merritt - I was at school with the son Joe.

I thought Sydney and his wife, Ethel Maud, must have lived fairly close by. Sydney died in 1967 and Ethel in 1963.  Their son, Ronald Sydney took over the business for a time. He and his wife, Irene, lived just round the corner from us on Alfreton Road and the Amos office was right opposite our house.

Ron and Irene's eldest child was Carolyn Amos, for some reason always known as Carol. She was born in 1945, like yourself, JohnS. She was almost certainly at Berridge when you were.

My older sister was good friends with Jill Amos, the second eldest child and we all went to St Stephen's church as children.

Sydney Amos drove a large green car which was often parked at the bottom of our road, next to Ron's canary yellow Ford Zephyr.

A lovely family, the Amos tribe.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont remember the Amos at all. Which Victorian villas? I can only recall the terraces stretching from Radford Road to Alfreton Road, and Bobbers Mill Road, (and Chadwick Road and other places with similar building style) but villas? No. Please reactivate the memory cells as you have successfully done before. 

John S

I can place that exactly. I made a reference to that part of Bobbers Mill Road in a post called World of Wonder and you would have been very close to Dogger Bank chippy and Nix's newsagent. 

I too recall the Owd G in Santa outfit, and it was not Christmas until I saw it. I fondly recall the shops at the top on Radford Road. A bakery which made the most fantastic cream horns (Birds?) Raithbys butchers, Lloyds Bank on the corner of Beaconsfield Street where I opened my first bank account. A camera shop which had orange translucent sheets in the window, a little like Lucozade wrappers. A shop where you could buy the best potted meat ever (Potted dog!) which was my Tuesday sandwich filling. The roast beef there was astounding, and I plagued my mother for it, but we didnt have enough money for that. On the side of the Owd G there was a hardware shop, very much like one in the famous Four Candles Two Ronnies sketch. 

MD there is a photograph on here, in fact it's been posted several times, of the shops you mention. The bakery was Brown's and, yes, they were very good. Heathcote's was the photo shop.

Amos & Son was only one of many coal merchants in the area. Although their office was opposite our house when I was very young (you are younger than myself by a few years and it may have been gone by then) we ordered our coal from Young's of Thames Street, Bulwell.  My mum had used other coal merchants, including Desborough's and Amos but thought they were unreliable as they never delivered on time.

4 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

I fondly recall the shops at the top on Radford Road. A bakery which made the most fantastic cream horns (Birds?) Raithbys butchers, Lloyds Bank on the corner of Beaconsfield Street where I opened my first bank account. A camera shop which had orange translucent sheets in the window, a little like Lucozade wrappers. 

4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

MD there is a photograph on here, in fact it's been posted several times, of the shops you mention. The bakery was Brown's and, yes, they were very good. Heathcote's was the photo shop.

I can't find it on other threads - although I agree it's there somewhere - so here it is again. 

EwcdUck.jpg

• 6 months later...

I found this recently on a Facebook posted by Glennys Fitzpatrick nee Wells an ex Berridge girl. I sent it Jill S as it depicts the top of Bobbers Mill Road not far from where Jill lived. Jill suggested I post it here as it may well interest JohnS and mercurydancer. The quality is poor. Glennys is on the left.

70549365-40-C1-43-C8-9411-FD1-D4-C8-D178

@JohnS might be interested in this photo as it appears to be taken very close to the house where he lived.

He and Glennys Wells would be around the same age.

As has been mentioned previously, JohnS and family lived next door to Sidney Amos, whose son and his wife lived just around the corner from us on Alfreton Road. It occurred to me that the girl on the right could possibly be the eldest daughter of that family, Carolyn Amos, who was always known as Carol and being born in 1945, was a contemporary of JohnS and Glennys Wells.  I'm not saying it is her but it's not impossible. Somewhere at the back of my mind I seem to remember that the family had lived in a house near St Stephen's before they moved to Alfreton Road. Carol was Sidney's granddaughter and might have been visiting. Being 12 years my senior, I didn't know her at that age but she was dark haired like her father. The child in the photo is also dark haired.

Aside from that, one can see the Victorian buildings on the opposite side of the Road which ran from the church up to the junction with Radford Road. All were demolished in the early 70s and the area rebuilt. Plimsoll Street ran at the back of these old buildings. That, too, is long gone.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Berridge Aircraft factory is now the Bobbers Mill Community Centre. It stands on the opposite side of Berridge Road to Hazlewood Road. In the early fifties the building was single storey only but then had a second story added. I lived in the semi detached house next to the factory at the Lambert Street end. The other factory which occupied the area between Berridge Road and Bobbersmill Road, Lambert Street and Birkin Avenue was Sydney Smiths. Making large pipework valves and fog horns which were tested on a regular basis. I left the area in the early 1970's before the redevelopment started. The only part saved from the demolishers was the Clock public house.

• Like 1

I worked in the tool room at Smiths for a while circa 1968/69. Just thought I'd throw in a bit of useless information. Don't think they made the foghorn, just the fittings that went on them. Eric Stokes used to work on them. When ready, he would clamp them on to a milling machine and connect an airline to the unit and test at about 120 psi. When fitted on board a ship they would work at 300 psi. Bloody noisy when standing next to one on test.

It's called, "keeping one step ahead of the law" Phil. Eleven jobs in all mate ! One of them had 3 different positions including shop floor and clerical office. Hope this makes sense.

• 8 months later...
On 11/17/2016 at 2:52 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

You may have known my sister, Julie Sparrow, Mess. She was at Berridge at the same time as Nick Clarke. I've put a list of names she remembers on the Berridge thread. I have some of her school photos somewhere.

I went to school with a number of children from Hazelwood Road. Jane Humphreys, 7 Hazelwood Road and Ann Green, daughter of Leila Green, to name but two. Did you also know Christine Roper from the wool shop at the top of Hazelwood Road?

i lived op woolshop  on hazlewood rd, i recall a john roper, who i have not seen for 55yrs, mum and dad were there for yrs, we left when i was 7, went to berridge  school also

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Steve.  Oddly enough, I was recalling the Roper family with a couple of friends just a few days ago. John, apparently, moved to the Whatton area and his parents followed suit.  My sister was at both Berridge and Peveril with Christine Roper and her younger sister, Denise, was in the year above me at Berridge.

Many Berridge pupils lived on Hazelwood Road.  During which years were you at Berridge, Steve?

Sorry to but in Welcome Steve talor to nottstalgia looking forward to reading your post.

Quick Question 

Nick Clark      His he the famous British Hairdresser that we know as 

Nicky Clark?

10 hours ago, steve taylor said:

i lived op woolshop  on hazlewood rd, i recall a john roper, who i have not seen for 55yrs, mum and dad were there for yrs, we left when i was 7, went to berridge  school also

I lived across the road from the wool shop at 98. 1969 '.

@letsavagooI didn't realize he was your age. I knew Christine and, of course. Denise. I always thought the brother was the eldest but I see, on looking him up, that he wasn't. Born in 1955. He must be on your school photos. The Ropers were a nice family.