Re: the origins of the name Hyson Green. It seems Hyson Green came into existence in the early 1800s,

This is one explanation, with a Mr John Ison setting up his cafe / tea-shop for the punters. (scroll down a short way) http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/mellorsarticles/radford3.htm

In the book 'History of Nottingham Suburbs' by Geoffrey Oldfield he gives a variation on that. He doesn't have a Mr Ison being involved, but instead quotes an old directory which said the name Hyson came "from the tea gardens to which patrons frequently walked in the summer to quench their thirst with hyson and other nectarous draughts"

I'd never heard of drinking Hyson but .... he's right http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyson

And this is what Hyson Green looked like in the early 1800s.

hysonmap.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember Jean Metcalfe being on Family Favourites but not Pete Murray (#24). In the summertime my Mum would sit on the back doorstep, listening to Family Favourites as she shelled the peas for o

Ive been looking at the section of the forum about areas of Nottingham. Could I request that Hyson Green is added to it? Either as part of the Radford section or one of its own? Hyson Green was where

Posted Images

Cliff Ton, again the mapmeister! Its interesting to see how Hyson Green used to me a couple of centuries ago. I can work out where Bobbers Mill Road is and the basic outline of Radford Road and Gregory Boulevard, but the word "boulevard" smacks of a late 19c air. Not that Hyson Green is like Paris!

I too had not heard of Hyson tea, but there may be a connection.

Ison did build houses, and in Pleasant Row. It might have been pleasant then..... I'm presuming that the block of houses with gardens is approximately where the Cricket Players pub is now, or possibly a little further along Radford Road.

I also seem to recall that Ison built some houses where the Pheasant pub is too.

I can remember Jean Metcalfe being on Family Favourites but not Pete Murray (#24). In the summertime my Mum would sit on the back doorstep, listening to Family Favourites as she shelled the peas for our Sunday dinner (we had other stuff, as well...lol). As a young kid I'd often sit with her and help shell the peas. When I thought she wasn't looking I'd put some in my mouth to eat. If she caught me she'd give me a playful clip around the ear and we'd sit there laughing and singing along to the radio. I really miss my Mum.

• Upvote 4

It's quite an understandable comment to have been made by a stranger to the area be it Pete Murray or someone else.Crocus street and The Meadows doesn't exactly reflect what the area was really like at the time.100 years previously maybe...The approach to Nottingham from the Trent side was considered to be extremely beautiful by many writers before housing and railways blotted the landscape.

And Michael...I seem to remember chewing on the pods when 'helping' Mum shell peas...maybe that was just me. :biggrin: Did you used to help your Mum with winding wool into a ball?...sat there with the skein of wool stretched between aching outstretched arms while Mum wound it into a ball which made it easier to use when she was knitting.

Whatever happened to unravelling an old jumper to reuse the wool on a new knitted garment?

• Upvote 3

poohbear, when I was typing my post (#28), I felt like reaching for a tissue but when I read your post regarding the wool winding I felt like reaching for the axe...lol. It must have been the worst job ever. "Mum, I want to go to the toilet" "Not until we've finished" "Mum, my arms are dropping off" "If they do, we'll use your legs" "But, Mum...." haha. I'd forgotten all that, poohbear. Thanks for reminding me, for some reason my arms are feeling really heavy... :huh:

• Upvote 2

Whilst not really Hyson Green it's interesting to note Forest Rd appears to just have run from North Sherwood St? with nothing to the east of Mansfield Rd there but Redcliffe Rd looks well established, The Mansfield Rd/Hucknall Rd fork is there, and Nottingham Rd. Would that be Noel St running "through" the words Hyson Green? with Berridge Rd joining it to Radford Rd?

Forest 'Road' :biggrin: ...sometimes we tend to forget that the roads in those days were little more than tracks.Redcliffe Road was the only route for carts towards Mapperley and Calverton in those days...Woodborough Road being just a footpath.But Redcliffe was impassable in winter and the Mapperley brickyards used to store bricks around the Grosvenor Pub area otherwise they couldn't transport them to the canals and railways.

2ewzf9i.jpg

Here's a wider version. I think Ashley was correct that the road going through the words Hyson Green is the equivalent of Noel Street (although I doubt it was called that in1830). The road parallel to it on the left is the equivalent of Radford Road.

Note that the Forest extended westwards all the way to the junction of Alfreton Road/Bentinck Road. And poohbear dropped a hint about all the windmills on Forest Road (Mount Vernon).

Redcliffe Road was the only route for carts towards Mapperley and Calverton in those days...Woodborough Road being just a footpath.But Redcliffe was impassable in winter and the Mapperley brickyards used to store bricks around the Grosvenor Pub area otherwise they couldn't transport them to the canals and railways.

There are also brickworks indicated half way up Redcliffe Road.

forest-1.jpg

Where is the tram stop on Alfreton Rd ? Until I saw that map I had never heard of Skottowe or Scottern but that area was well known as Scotholme and probably still is? I know there is a Scotholme Primary School but there used to be a large Victorian Girls School of the same name, a pub The Scotholme Hotel (building still there) and more than one factory or industrial yard etc called Scotholme Works, quite a few of the old victorian streets remain with the tram running through such but alot have been demolished.

On that larger/clearer map part of New Basford can be seen, running from what I assume is North Gate up the hill to the south, Incidentally I had always assumed the "Gate" of which Nottingham a good few referred to some sort of physical barrier like a toll house or even a "militia manned checkpoint"? however listening to Radio Nottingham one day a professor/expert on such stated Gate stemmed from the Vikings! simply stating that was their word for a road?

• 1 year later...

This is a request for help from anyone who lives in the Hyson Green/Bobbers Mill area - does anyone remember Berridge Engineering in Berridge Road? My dad worked there as their buyer in the early 60s - they made paint spraying equipment.

#38. That would be Berridge Aircraft (Company/Limited). It made parts for aircraft, as sub-contractors, but likely had to make other things when the aircraft industry started to go downhill. I once knew someone who worked there in the early 1950s and he told me that they were making parts for the Supermarine Attacker aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I had taken notes of an earlier browse - I came across several people who mentioned owning Myford ML7 lathes. Late last year I bought a Super 7 from a mate of mine (died February), to replace my ML7. As a result I now have two dividing heads, which is one more than I need. Any Nottstalgia reader who would like to make me a small offer, it's theirs. (It's the rather odd Radford design, not the neat Geo Thomas). Bad news: the dividing head is in mid Devon, and I'm not posting it!!

• 1 month later...

Hearing all these names around Hyson Green brought back into mind when I worked there but I think it was New basford. I was a hairdresser and served my apprenticeship and beyond at Godfreys on Noel street right opposite Noel st baths. It was on the corner, all the windows were leaded lights. Maybe there are a few mums wives or sisters out there that will remember. Along the road was a dry cleaners called Burkes. In between used to be a wash house or launderette.

I worked there from 1957 until 68-69. There was a pub down the road but I can't recall the name.

Sorry neither of them. It certainly wasn't an "exotic" name. The land lady if I remember was called Mrs. Thorpe . She left an impression on me in some way. Apparently she had a tumour in her mouth. She made a trip to Lourdes and brought a bottle of holy water back with her. What she did with it I don't know but remember that the tumour disappeared. Wish mine had disappeared as quickly instead of 4 ops ,chemo and radio. Still, I think it depends on your positivity.

• Upvote 2