People often discuss blood pressure, some suffer from high BP, others low BP.

The other day some friends stopped by for a chat and a drink (tea!) and the subject of BP came up.

One of the party said they suffered from high BP and they had just been supplied with a BP monitor from their GP to record it over a week or so.

We all asked the question, what is high BP? At this point the high BP sufferer went to their car and brought in the monitor (as you do).

We all in turn "had a ago" on it with various results. My own result showed a BP of 111 over 77 with pulse at 101.

My resting pulse has always been in this region (95 - 105) for all of my life and I do not seem to have any ill effects as a result.

My questions are:- What is average BP, what is high BP and what is low BP?

Smiffy

Smiffy, I am taking medication for BP problems and it is slowly coming down, last count was 176/76 and the medical man says still too high I am 61 years old, the other month when I first went to him it was 225/205 and he nearly had a duck fit telling me I was in danger of having a heart attack or stroke in the immediate future, this is the reason I have been grounded from riding my cycle, he said if it goes up when I'm riding I'm in danger of bursting blood vesels in my brain, just do a internet search for the average BP for someone of your age,if it's above the average get it checked out by your GP,it's not called the silent killer for nothing, good luck

Rog

Mine's around 122 over 68. I always tell everyone, it's my best feature, but nobody can see it, I should have it tattoo'd on me forehead.

If you're 130/80 you're doing fine. Any higher, you need to get more exercise, higher than 140/90. you're in trouble... I strive for 120's over 75-80 at 67 it's hard keeping it down.

High BP can lead to strokes and kidney damage...

I was picked up as having high blood pressure a few years ago and I've been taking the tablets ever since. According to the nurse concerned, I was high even by the standards of high - well into the 170s. Apparently I'm now normal.

At the time I didn't feel unwell or odd in any way, and it was a bit of a fluke that my pressure was checked on that occasion. If I hadn't been, I might not be writing this now.

A few years ago we bought a Blood Pressure Monitor, it wasn't expensive, I can't remember how much but we seem to both think about £16 from the Chemist. For all my health problems my BP seems to stay quite stable. I just had a go and mine is...104 over 57 not bad aye, heart rate 65 ( that is until it throws a wobbley) Chris is ...123 over 67..( he takes BP medication). heart rate 59.

mmmmmmmm Not so pleased now! 104 is good but the 57 suggests a bit low! Hospital June 5th so I expect all sorts of tests. Hopefully the professionals will sort me out!

My BP has been high for many years, always taken medication to try and lower it, but never really worked. My readings were always around 180/80 ish average, too high.

Since my heart attack earlier this year my BP has now dropped significantly to around 140/70 ish and is slowly lowering even more.

One effect of high BP is heart wall thickening, off the top of my head I can't remember the exact teminology, but a scan I had recently has shown this. In layman's terms I think this means the heart is less efficient, not good.

In my own opinion and speaking from my own personal experience I would honestly say the best thing anyone can do is quit the fags ! Doing that was the most significant thing I did to improve my BP. For years and years we have known that smoking is a killer, but it was far too easy to say "It won't happen to me" ! When it does it hits you quite quickly and unexpected, I was lucky, lesson learned.

• Upvote 1

Some years ago my hubby went to the docs for a check up. First thing the nurse does before you even see the doc, is take your pulse and bp. His upper number was over 200. They whipped him into the cardiac room pronto, and made him stay there till they'd got it back down with meds. He was feeling quite well till all this went off! No symptoms or anything. He does take bp and cholesterol meds now, as the latter was high too.

Normal blood pressure depends on age, but anything higher than 140 is not good. If the bottom number is high, that is probably more damaging than the top number. A diastolic (thats the lower number) above 85 can be really risky.

Giving up fags is important, but equally so would be to limit salt intake.

Took mine a little while ago - 118/68 - I'll take it but I do take medication for it as it was routinely over 140/80. I am hoping to get off the meds - I have never smoked, but retiring seems to have made a big difference!

Don't forget a few dripping sandwiches too, Chris...

Mine was 97/68 a couple of weeks ago. I thought it might be too low but she seemed quite pleased with it. I told them at the blood donor place yesterday before I donated & they said "no problem." I feel perfectly OK..

I am unlucky to suffer my poor old dads genes, he died young with heart problems but was a heavy smoker and lived a stressful life and job.

My high blood pressure was picked up early and first off explained as "white coat hypertension" (fear of doctors) anyway I went on pills in my 40's and have been ever since !

When I moaned at my doctor he said if I take one pill a day it could extend my life by well over 10 years, so no contest really.

As I've become older I found my original medication was not keeping pace so have had it upped over the years.

I have my own monitor and check regualrly as all peoples BP's can vary greatly during a 24 hour period. I've had halta monitor tests and find mine is now reasonably well controlled at around 130/70 but stress can and doed sent it rocketing.

Two years ago I had a knee reconstruction and prior to the op my pressure jumped into the 200's so they had to give me more meds prior to the operation.

I have never smoked and drink minimaly so my only weapon is excercise which I try to do daily, but only walking and riding my pushbike.

As said if its in your gene's its there and taking meds is the only real option.

• Upvote 2

Mine is usually around 136/82 and I do all the wrong things..........................

I am not sure if there is anything I need do as I do not visit the doctor very often.

I feel alright...................honestly!

Mine is usually around 136/82 and I do all the wrong things..........................

I am not sure if there is anything I need do as I do not visit the doctor very often.

I feel alright...................honestly!

High blood pressure is often referred to as "The Silent Killer! becase there are no symptoms to it, then one day a stroke or heart attack comes along without warning.

I've never really understood blood pressure readings but I go for regular check-ups at the hospital and they always take my blood pressure. Since nothing comes of it I must be OK. Although my wife swears mine goes up when I'm driving.

• Upvote 1