Beck Valley Stormwater Culvert.

SignNearPleasurePark20-05-14_zps6cd11783

Last week, I decided to visit the area where I'd spent the first sixteen years of my life. Meadow Grove, Holme Street, Brand Street, Moreland Street, Freeth Street and Grainger Street, where I lived, were now all small business units. Everthing that had been there before had all been demolished. The place where my home used to be was now T.A.C. (Training And Assessment Consultants). Mrs Wright's small grocery shop, which was across the road from my house, would also have been where T.A.C. was. After parking my car, I walked around the area, so many memories flooding through my mind. As I walked past Holme Street I thought about Albert Morley. He was a big, swarthy, black haired chap who looked great with his sideboards (sideburns). I could see him in my mind, sat on the doorstep of his house on a nice summers day. He'd have his record player on the pavement with Elvis Presley blasting out, a crowd of his mates singing along. Albert was a big Elvis fan, just as I and everybody else I knew were, and he'd always have the latest Rock & Roll records for us all to listen to. I walked along Freeth Street and thought about the football games that we'd have after we got home from school. The Bitterlings company that would really stink and the million flies that would be everywhere during the summer. After looking around I drove to Trent Lane to see if anything of the old Pleasure Park remained but it had all gone. There were only a couple of companies that did boat trips along the River Trent that I noticed. I'd parked my car in front of the wall at the end of Trent Lane, just outside the old Pleasure Park area: The River Trent was the other side of the wall. As I was about to get into my car I noticed an old plaque on the wall from 1884 and took a photo of it, as above. That evening, I looked it up on the Internet and found the articles quite interesting, especially the ones relating to Nottingham. I've attached a link below which I hope you'll enjoy reading.

http://undercitywebsite.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/NOTTINGHAM

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Michael , here are some of the finer details of the tunnel from the opening ceremony report .

14265611551_62dc00f46a_z.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Welcome to Nottstalgia, ohdobehave. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. I was going to pop in but everyone was working so hard I didn't want to interrupt you all. :biggrin:. You state that you all wondered what was there before. Well, I've attached a photo of Grainger Street for you. My house was on the left, just before the entry. I spent the first sixteen years of my life there. I hope you like the photo.

GraingerStreetPhoto.jpg

• 5 years later...