Anybody NOT seen 'Zulu?'

Don't worry Melissa, it'll be on at Christmas !

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even worse, half a century! frightening! Three of the defenders at Rorkes Drift are buried in Ruddington cemetery; Caleb Wood, Robert Tongue and James Marshall.

We were all at my grandmothers house, it had been raining all morning. Boredom had set in, we had all played non stop ping pong on the dining room table throughout the previous evening, so my grandmo

Beekay, I like that poster as it reminds us that some people like to take their time going from A to B, appreciating other things along the way.  And I think you do actually understand the concep

I used to live about 40 miles south of the "Little Big Horn" battlefield. It is a VERY interesting place to visit. It is true he was an arrogant man - he rode a white horse and wore white leather jacket and leggings - I guess he didn't think that would make him a target! It was his arrogance that lost him the battle - the Americans had him outnumbered, and probably had more weapons available than he had. I doubt that even a Gatling gun would have helped - he was basically surrounded and his support was effectively cut off. He underestimated the number, strength and skill of his opponents - a brilliant recipe for defeat!

I would give anything to go there, it looks a most haunting place to visit from some of the TV documentaries I've seen on the subject. I've been to many famous battle sites, I'm not a religious person, but they all give off powerful 'auras' in some respect, especially Flodden Field above all others. I went there during one stunning sunset and stood at the monument on top of the hill, the spot where the Royal Family of Scotland was decimated in 1513, the place really gave me the shivers, I'll never forget it. Another strange event occurred at the site of the Battle of Hastings while on a family holiday, I was mucking about taking pictures and jokingly got the 'mob' to re-enact the battle on the terrace of Battle Abbey. When I got the slides back, 'the mob' had somehow superimposed itself on the panoramic view that I took of the site of the battle, with that sophisticated Canon camera I had at the time (early 80's), it was impossible for this to happen, but it did, somehow.

Custer made the mistake of splitting his cavalry into three squads, one was to assault the river, under Benteen, the other was to outflank the village under Reno, while Custer was to charge around the flank and assault the Sioux from the high ground on the other side. They completely underestimated the number of Native Americans involved, the Sioux being reinforced by the Cheyenne. There were thousands of warriors opposing just a few hundred American soldiers, a huge column of supporting troops was on it's way but Custer was impatient and couldn't wait for them. Benteen had cannon and Gatling guns but was forced to retreat into the woods to protect his troops, Reno was merely a bystander. Custer ignored all this and galloped past Reno to attempt to take the high ground to the North East, Crazy Horse spotted this and rode at least 1000 warriors back through the village to cut off Custer and his 200+ troopers and prevent him reaching the high ground, he succeeded perfectly, Custer was left stranded in the middle of nowhere. Due to the massacres that Custer's men had perpetrated on the unfortunate Sioux in the past, no quarter was given, and who could blame them.

In the end, Benteen and Reno were made the scapegoats and courtmartialled, why, because Custer was considered a hero and being groomed for a political career, he had friends in high places. They were subsequently found not guilty, but it wrecked their lives.

I've talked to my cousin and found the name of my Great Great etc uncle at Rorkes Drift, will try to track him down.

• Upvote 1

Benteen and Reno saw through Custer's ego as soon as they were first assigned to him. He used to go galloping off on his own into dangerous territory and leave his troops leaderless, they hated him as a commander, but the powers that be let him get on with it, they thought he was sacrosanct. It's interesting to read how much Crazy Horse and Custer were so much similar in character, except that CH would never sacrifice or abandon his braves.

I love Native American Indians, in my view they are the greatest of all races, they were so in touch with the planet in all of it's aspects. Where are they today, shunned and living like scum. I have a friend who is descended from a Cheyenne warrior chief, his stories are painful to hear

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Still not seen Zulu despite recording it some years ago! Was it on over Christmas again, or perhaps the new year period?

The only Zulu I've seen up to now is the one at Drayton Manor Park...

This reminds me of Zulu sung to the tune of Men of Harlech (courtesy Wiki)

A slightly ruder version of the last verse was often sung whilst walking on Kinderscout

What's the good of wearing braces,
Vests and pants and boots with laces,
Spats or hats you buy in places
Down in Brompton Road?
What's the use of shirts of cotton,
Studs that always get forgotten?
These affairs are simply rotten:
Better far is woad.
Woad's the stuff to show, men.
Woad to scare your foemen:
Boil it to a brilliant hue
And rub it on your back and your abdomen.
Ancient Briton ne'er did hit on
Anything as good as woad to fit on
Neck, or knees, or where you sit on.
Tailors, you be blowed.
Romans came across the Channel
All wrapped up in tin and flannel:
Half a pint of woad per man'll
Dress us more than these.
Saxon, you can waste your stitches
Building beds for bugs in britches:
We have woad to clothe us, which is
Not a nest for fleas.
Romans keep your armours;
Saxons your pyjamas:
Hairy coats were meant for goats,
Gorillas, yaks, retriever dogs and llamas.

Tramp up Snowdon with our woad on:
Never mind if we get rained or blowed on.
Never want a button sewed on.
Go it, Ancient B's

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

Just watching Zulu now but unsure of whose side I’m supposed to be on…. Didn’t the land belong to the Zulus?

• Like 1

I live about four miles from Bromheads ancestral home and family church, and the Notts connection is he went to a school in Newark on Trent for his education

Rog

Didn’t the land belong to the Zulus?, different times Margie, not saying it's right but different times

27 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I learnt to windsurf on the lake at Thurlby (Bromhead village). I presume it was disused gravel workings. Is it still there or has it been filled in?

Still there Phil and yes it was old sand and gravel quarry, (ex Butterley aggregates then RMC) the quarry at Norton Disney just around the corner from there and now joining Thurlby lake is now also worked out ( I was part of the management team there) and they are now extracting S&G from across the road on the old Swinderby airfield

Rog

• Like 1

There's been loads of films on this Christmas that have been replayed over and over. For example, today there was Airport 77, which we watched yesterday, also John Wayne's 'True Grit' has been on at least 4 times. The Beeb has filled most of their day with Animation or endless repeats. If, like us, you've been laid up and not well enough to venture out, it's been mind numbing rubbish. I mean, I ask you, Homes under the hammer, Christmas day ! Tonight it's Morcambe & Wise, The Lost Tape. Or perhaps you may  like Jools Holland, Hootenanny, (recorded 3 months ago).

Christmas programmes are all phoney. They stick up a Christmas tree in the studio and record them in August whilst trying to appear festive and jolly. I’m on my second large single malt that my wife bought me for Christmas and I’m starting to get genuinely jolly!

• Like 2

I am into my second Aberfeldy single 18yrs old. My eyes watered when senior management bought this but now I can see the very good sense in decision making.

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I need space for my g and t before dinner

G&T is my go-to drink on a hot summers' afternoon, very civillised it is too. Lots of ice in a long glass, then the gin, tonic and slice of lemon.

After the sun has gone down it can only be a good single malt with hints of vanilla, chocolate and tobacco coming through. Just the whisky and a small splash of spring water and certainly no ice.

Beer is for drinking at BBQ's and after you have mowed the lawn.

• Like 1

Looking on TV schedules today I noticed that AGAIN, 'Bridge on the River Kwai ' is on. Only watched it yesterday. On Beeb 1, the animation 'The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse' has been shown for the fourth time in as many days. Are these programmes set on a permanent loop? They just keep spewing out the same drivel daily. If you look on the guide on TV, it's the same through all the multiple channels. Am I glad I've still got my DVD s and home movies.