Cali Gal Posted on Jun 27 2006, 12:39 AM

Does anyone know about the progress of this project? This is the same Highfields Park that our get together will be, right?? 

:Kiss: Yes Cali it is, those pics i sent you as you know are of the boating lake and the university, the little lido/paddling pool is at the other end to the faraday building about 15/20minute walk along the edge of the lake, by the way the boating lake opens for business on the 26th of this month so you and your family if they wish will be able to boat on the lake, don't worry about the safety aspect because the lake is only three feet deep.

below is a recent pic of the lido/paddling pool which is now not in use...nor is there any work in progress......see below....

post-11-1151401496_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ment to say this was one reason we never went to thelidos when every one else did when we were going out together as even if his mum was not on that pool that day someone would always tell her what we

Bump Just happened on this ,the opening of Highfields Lido in 1924 , though Pathe News don't know the location of it . http://www.britishpathe.com/video/mr-john-burns/query/nottingham Look at all t

my older sisters were saying the other day that they were taught swimming at school at calverton lido in all weathers somtimes had to break the ice

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

Just wondered, is the new lido gonna be built at Highfields Park? Went across there last week walking round the lake. lovely place. little one likes to walk round the lake, (well, she hasn't got a choice inwalking hahaha!) then playing on the park before we gohome. Would be nice to have a lido there.

:) Sal

• 3 years later...

Reading this for the first time, and I love the way you dig up old threads Radfordred, I wonder what happened to Archiboy, I would have thought he must have graduated by now. Mind you, typical RIBA course, the lecturers get them to come up with a scheme for an outdoor swimming pool in Highfields, don't bother to tell the students that one had existed there before and claim that the last Lido in the UK had shut down in 2004, talk about misinformation. This is why I dropped out of the full time architecture course and preferred to learn the trade 'hands on', working full time with a pair of real Architects based in Castle Place. I expect, rather like another graduate of the system that I know, that he's now happily demolishing the concrete rubbish his predecessors put up in the 60's and replacing them with equally 'contemporary' monstrosities, or rather earning a huge wage for getting his assistants to do it for him on CAD.

Yup i graduated with BArch (Hons) :yahoo: now doing my diploma in architecture, still at nottingham! However, im afraid it will be a few more years till im demolishing anything, and even more till i have a huge wage!

:tongue:

I'm afraid my project was only a student project, and was never actually going to get any sort of recognition. However, maybe they've reached some decision all by themselves! I really hope this is the beginning of a redevelopment, but in these safety conscious (retarded) days my gut says they're protecting the public from itself (how noble) by fencing it off. lets hope im wrong!

thanks for the headsup radfordred, ill have to pop down myself and have a look, soon as i get a chance.

:smile:

• 1 year later...

I remember both the paddling pool and the lido very well. The paddling pool water source I believe was the Tottle Brook which is still to be seen winding its way through the Highfield's grounds. The Lido was at the Lenton end of the Park, it was open from late spring to early Autumn and had a reputation of being cold. It was the venue for our swimming lessons from school (Beeston Fields) which I attended on a regular basis irrespective of weather conditions? The paddling pool did have a problem with broken glass but that could be overcome with wearing plimsolls. The Tottle Brook was ideal for fishing for sticklebacks, it is I believe the water source for the Boating lake.

• 1 year later...

piggys mum work at all the lidos in nottingham but she ussually worked at highfields lido both collecting your money as you came in and in the changing area handing out the baskets as a child i would sometimes come to highfields but i ussually whent to carrington as this was the nearest to me at carlton.

by the time our kids were old enough to take to the lidos only bullwell was left so i would take a picknick and take them over to bullwell bye the time i thought they would have been old enough to go on there own that was gone too, but we lived in clifton by then and had the swimming pool quite close so they went swimming there , my younger son was a keen swimmer and would go about 3 times a week just come home get his stuff ask for the money to go and he would be gone a copple of hours,

both had swimming lessons from an early age at lenton baths paul was swimming at 4years old and lee i had taken from six weeks old was confidently swimming a lengh at 2 years oldand always loved it.

used to takes my boys to the paddling pool regularly in the eighties and even then they wore plimsols .

ment to say this was one reason we never went to thelidos when every one else did when we were going out together as even if his mum was not on that pool that day someone would always tell her what we or the other guys and gels had been up to, and when dave was in the airforce and someone sujested taking me to the lidos for the day i always had to say no, because although dave knew i went out with other guys while he was in the raf his mum did not like it and would always find out and i prefered the quiet life.

• Upvote 1

No more Lidos eh? Here in Wick in the far north of Scotland there are TWO lidos; the North Baths and Trinkie's Pool. One at either end of the harbour, they are converted rock pools that are fitted with valves to fill and empty at each tide. Until about 1991 they were the only places for many miles where one could swim without going into the sea. Despite now having a heated indoor pool, the lidos remain popular in summer.

• 1 year later...

I remember going to the Highfields "Lido" a lot, i remember one stinking Hot summer, I think it was 1969, because Middle Of The road's "Chirpy Chirpy Cheap, Cheap" seemed to be blasting from every, transistor radio, the place was jam packed, i remember the hot drink machine, the first i had ever seen as a kid, gave nice hot chocolate, or soup if you wanted it. I think i got sun stroke the same year rowing on the lake with my dad

http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/images/gallery/highfields_park/highfields_park_listener_18.htm

• 3 months later...

Bump

Just happened on this ,the opening of Highfields Lido in 1924 , though Pathe News don't know the location of it .

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/mr-john-burns/query/nottingham

Look at all the open land around it .

The (patchy) translated Post report of the opening :

A SUPER BATH

NOTTINGHAM'S OPEN-AIR POOL OPENED TO-DAY BY MR. JOHN BURNS. The first completed instalment of Sir Jesse Boots pubic-spirited scheme to provide Nottingham with great
playground at Highfields Pafk *as inaugurated to-day, when the open-air swimming- bath...... formally opened by the Right Hon. John Burns. the bath extends endwise ......
right of the magnificent new boulevard which Sir Jesse has had constructed from Dunkirk to Beeston. Close by the enlarged ...... acres, and the whole of the Park,......and....... designing it an effort has been made catch something of the Roman style of architecture, ......The colonnades, the perfect colour of the tiles, and the setting join, to make a harmonious.......
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
30/08/1924
Articl
  • Upvote 1

I know somebody mentioned the carrington lido last week but I wonder if anybody recalls the big one at Calverton, bbbrrrrr bloody cold even in the middle of summer

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/woodboroughheritage/calvertonlido.html

my older sisters were saying the other day that they were taught swimming at school at calverton lido in all weathers somtimes had to break the ice

• Upvote 1

Fch782c #52.

I have to agree with you about the cold water at Calverton lido. In the 1960s i took my husband (Boyfriend at the time) and a group of his friends to the Lido and one of them dived in, my husband still laughs about it today. He says he has never seen anyone get out of the water so quick. :huh: :ohmy:

I just found the following details on the website WWW.pastscape.org I only remember going there a few times in the early 1970's another I remember was during the summer 6 weeks holidays my mum and dad put our caravan on a site somewhere up the A60 called Surprise View caravan Park, they too had an outside pool but for some reason it was a lot warmer than the one at calverton

Calverton Lido opened in 1937 on the site of what was rumoured locally to be a post medieval military encampment site. The pool had a diving board, pavilions, bungalows, toilets, a pump room, a social club, a restaurant and a paddling pool. One of the attractions is reported to be two apes kept in a cage. In the 1950s the buildings were used as temporary accommodation for miners. The miners reported hearing ghostly noises that were attributed to ghosts of the post medieval encampment residents. In the winter the pool was used as a trout farm. A Chinese restaurant was opened in the clubhouse in the 1970s and is still open as of the early 21st Century. The pool was demolished in 2000 and most of the related buildings were demolished as well. The former changing room block was converted to a house in the 1980s.

I can't remember the Apes," were they there in the 1960s". I know the floor of the pool was rough in places, because my husband took the skin of the bottom of his feet whilst playing pass the ball in the water!.

The story about the medieval encampment is very interesting, i had no idea!.

I can't remember the Apes," were they there in the 1960s". I know the floor of the pool was rough in places, because my husband took the skin of the bottom of his feet whilst playing pass the ball in the water!.

The story about the medieval encampment is very interesting, i had no idea!.

I think the story about the apes may have been a rumour from the 1930's but who knows

< Pedantic mode >

Calverton Lido actually opened in 1935 . There is a better description of the opening here:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/woodboroughheritage/calvertonlido.html

and this from the EP 6TH JULY 1935

10049915786_c2ca97e09c.jpg

An advert from 2 days before:04/07/1935

SPRING WATERS LIDO,CALVERTON~ will be officially opened SAT., JULY 6th, at 3 clock by Mr C. E. Foster, of Woodborough Manor. Admission, weekdays l/- ,morning & evening dips 6d, Sundays 1/- childn. half price, free park, refreshmts.

This from earlier 13th Nov. 1934 , when the planning application went in for the "Woodborough Lido " when it was feared the place would become a nudist colony !

10049976206_6090887819.jpg

• 1 year later...

Greetings Archiboy, I don't know dates but the paddling pool has the hallmarks of the rest of the park so was probably built at the same time, it's fed from the Tottle Brook as is the lake and the powers that be finally got scared of the health risks although children spending an afternoon in it were probably immune to everything afterwards! Is your project part of the Lottery spend?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Highfields - Lido and park