Greetings Archiboy, ....... Is your project part of the Lottery spend?

Remember to take a note of when the messge was posted........ in Archiboys' case it was March 2006 ! ...... and he hasn't been back for many years. Probably married with kids now.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ment to say this was one reason we never went to thelidos when every one else did when we were going out together as even if his mum was not on that pool that day someone would always tell her what we

Bump Just happened on this ,the opening of Highfields Lido in 1924 , though Pathe News don't know the location of it . http://www.britishpathe.com/video/mr-john-burns/query/nottingham Look at all t

my older sisters were saying the other day that they were taught swimming at school at calverton lido in all weathers somtimes had to break the ice

Posted Images

Hello all Nottstalgia folk. I'm doing some research into the old Highfields Park Lido as part of a project for the University of Nottingham Lakeside Arts. I've seen quite a bit on here about it, but want to get in touch directly with people to ask for their specific stories and memories - ideally with photos and any old film footage if anyone has any they can share with me. Also stories about what you got up to at the Lido, did you meet girlfriends/boyfriends/future wives/husbands there? Was it a meeting place for you and your mates? Were there any characters you remember who worked at the Lido - basket attendants etc., pool supervisors. Would be great if you could get in touch with your stories and memories here. Thank you for your time reading this. Lido Nic

As a school lad many years ago I went there with my mates during the school holidays. Hottest day of the year & the lido was freezing cold, spring water they said.

Thanks for replying so quickly catfan. I hope you don't mind me asking, which years did you go there with your mates? We're hoping to get memories from each decade the Lido was open for our project. Do you have any photos of your times there?

Used to go to Beeston Lads club on Friday nights 1960,..........traveled on two buses to get there from Bulwell,........learned to Jive there with the Beeston girls,...........then we'd meet them at Highfields on a Sunday........my mates used to go in the Lido with the girls,but me being a non-swimmer would take 'big Bev or was it Viv'...........for a 'Can-oodle' in a Canoe.........much more fun...............lol.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Catfan. Benjamin1945 that's a really fun memory - thanks for sharing it! I take it you're no longer in touch with Big Bev or Viv?! Any photos of you at the time at Highfields Park on the boating lake or around the Lido?

• Upvote 1

Sorry Lido Nic no photos,..........and no longer in touch..........she was just my summer love of 1960............long gone but not forgotten.........lol.

Funny thing is......after mentioning my visits with mates to Beeston Lads club and Highfields in 1960 yesterday,  ,bumped into one of em in Bulwell this morning and he remembered them as well...............hadn't seen him for years.....he also remembered it was Bev not viv........he was a swimmer not a 'canoodler'.............lol.

Edit...........then I thought.........how did he remember her name after all these years ?......the swine........lol.

• Upvote 2

Canoes are not noted for being too stable, Ben.  Get to messing around in a canoe and you could have become a swimmer quicker than you thought.  That would have cooled yer ardor an all!  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

HI Lido Nic

Nothing to do with the Lido, but I remember when Highfield's lake froze and we went skating on it. It was about 1963 and was in Nottingham Evening Post. Sorry no photos.

Sorry wrong date I think it was Jan 1959/60

Warm welcome to N/N

Lido Nic, are you on Facebook? There is a site called Nottingham Way Back When, which you have to join. Today there are pics of Highfields Lido, and there's been others too. Only the 2 men running the site post the pics, but any member can comments, ask questions etc. Worth taking a look. You might find someone with a wealth of information.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Highfields - Lido and park