Gourmet Gustatory Guidance

Well chaps and chapesses, I shall be in Notts over the summer,and would really welcome help and guidance on reasonably priced (anything up to 10 bob) on eateries in the area. Thanking you in anticipation. Stan.

• Upvote 1

What dates will you be in our fair City Stan? Could be another excuse for a meet-up ....... not that we did much of an excuse! A reasonable nosh and pint in the Roebuck on a Wednesday night ..........

• Upvote 3

Ten bob in old money was half a nicker..LOL Or in todays money 50 pence, half a quid, ten shillings in old money or 120 old pennies... How's that??

• Upvote 3

Melissa, you should have been around in the old money days, no calculators or till's that registered the change, we had to calculate everything in our heads, try doing that on a Friday night or Saturday night behind the bar of a packed pub!!! Was bloody hard work, both mentally and physically...

Then just when you've tallied up ten pints of bitter, five Babtchams, two double whiskey's twenty Park Drive, been given a couple of pound notes, all change worked out, "Oh, and two packets of cheese and onion crisps please"

RATS!!! Start again.....

• Upvote 4

Inches, feet, yards, chains, furloughs, miles, ounces, pounds, stones, cwt's,(hundred weights) tons, pints and gallons as well.....I still work in most of these.

• Upvote 1

Been there Ayupmeducks! I remember one night when I was working behind the bar a football team came in and each ordered a pint. By the time I'd pulled the eleventh pint the first guy wanted a refill ...... and so did everyone else pushing up to the bar. All the time I was the only person working, while the landlord stood gassing to his cronies at the end of the bar. When he yelled at me for breaking a glass against the pump I told him to stuff his job!

• Upvote 3

I was young, had a decent proper job and didn't need to be working there but he'd begged me to go and work behind the bar (where I used to go and have a drink with my parents). After that little incident even Mum and Dad stopped going in, haha!

I REMEMBER THE SONG,i love you a bushel and a peck" who sang it and what was the next line?

Here is your answer, benjamin1945:-

I love you a bushel and a peck

A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck

A hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap

A barrel and a heap and I'm talkin' in my sleep

http://www.metrolyrics.com/a-bushel-and-a-peck-lyrics-doris-day.html

• Upvote 1

I did bar work part time Lizzie, Fri/Sat/Sunday's and when I left the pits I was Manager Wednesday nights while the boss and his wife had a night out.

I was paid "under the table" and if I wanted a drink, was told to pour one for myself...Problem there was weekend nights was just too busy to drink!! We did used to wind down after closing up for the night......LOL