Would you pass your driving test today ?

On 12/13/2016 at 6:43 PM, Guest said:

A shooting brake is a people carrier now..apparently!

Do you need a gun licence to drive one of those?;)

Took a few driving tests in my life, 1'st at Chalfont in the 70's, then an army conversion test in Germany, then a Rushcliffe taxi drivers test, then a Nottingham city taxi test, then an ADI  part 1 written test, (100 questions) then an ADI part 2 advanced driving test, & I passed them all. Hope I could still pass OK. Also took & passed ADI part 3 instructing test, but don't suppose that counts though..

I don't drive at all now (lack of function in legs) but I took my first and second test at Chalfont Drive. Passed the second time. When I moved to France, I decided that a French licence would be a good idea. It took five attempts! I don't know whether it was a language thing or what (I always thought I spoke (almost) like a native) but it was always something very minor - and different every time. Perhaps the examiners just didn't like foreigners.

I think that I would be too scared to drive in modern conditions, especially with the hotheads there are down here.

I am lucky enough to be able to afford domestic staff (including a "manservant"/driver) so moving around is not too much of a problem.

(Please don't think I am boasting about having domestic staff, it's very common here to have live-in employees and necessary in my situation of being somewhat disabled and living in a large property fairly extensive grounds).

• Like 2

I could have retained my UK licence but my thinking at the time was that as I was taking up permanent French residence, it would be preferable to have a proper French one.

It doesn't matter very much now as I no longer drive.

• Upvote 2

I shall find out on the 19th. I passed the IAM advanced test a while back and a week tomorrow I take the RoSPA advanced test........................... things I get into when I'm bored

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dunno if I'd pass today, but I think I probably would.  Eitherway, when I got my latest Bus Pass, there was a leaflet included offering free 'Driving Assessments' for Old Geezers.  I'm thinking of taking them up on it.  It can't do any harm and may just show up bad habits etc.

I don't know about the UK but over here the local old timers association ( AARP)  offers a defensive driving course for over 60s.  If you take it they give you a little certificate and most insurance companies will give you a discount.  They haven't had one in our area for a while, but I think you can also take it on-line.  I need to do it again.

• Upvote 1

I like that idea, I dont think we have anything similar. I have driven for 45 years but find the roads so busy and full of selfish drivers. I joke that  we noticed more courteous driving when driving around the US because other drivers may have guns. They are great mergers. I recently bought a car with tinted windows to break the obvious grey haired femaledriver that must be passed at high speed. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We have lost so many car manufacturers over the years and import most cars. The roads are full of  big 4 wheel drives and huge tradie utes, not always used as work vehicles. Makes for parking spaces being very cramped.  Goodness knows what it costs to run those muscle cars. I have just gone into a smaller car, such a petrol miser. We haven’t  had that car removal plan yet, but I know it will happen.  My first car was a 1956 Morris Minor, so collectable now!

• Like 2

It's getting so just about all you see here are big pickups and SUVs.  I read somewhere recently that Ford is going to stop making cars.  Could be fake news but wouldn't be surprised.  Back in the 80s they were trying to stop us from buying full sized cars because they were 'gas guzzlers'.  Now most of what's available is bigger than they were.  I know they are a bit more fuel efficient but it all makes no sense to me.

Permit moi to have a small boast. I passed the RoSPA advanced driving test today - at gold, the highest standard...  :jumping:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Thank you.

Technically yes it does however the premiums of 'our carefully selected partners' are way more than those on insurance comparison sites.

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Permit moi to have a small boast. I passed the RoSPA advanced driving test today - at gold, the highest standard...  :jumping:

Go on Brew, blow yer own trumpet cos no one else will !  smile2

Congrats by the way !

• Like 2