Hiya.

I've got a Virgin cable standard V box and I've tried all sorts to connect to another TV in kitchen.It has a Scart connection from V box to main TV. Second set comes up blue screen but no signal on AV1 and AV2

I've tried RF out co-ax to TV as recommended on the net...no joy. Extra set no problem at my old place...but I didn't set it up.

And yes I know Virgin would supply extra box...but I 'aint paying their rates just for a kitchen set.

How would you do it...in simple terms please.

When you try the RF-out method, are you using the same analogue channel frequency for the box and the TV? And is the channel frequency well away from any used for digital multiplexors?

Came across that page myself RobL....and followed the instructions.

Connecting via aerial cable to a TV in a different room:

access_coax.jpgFor this option to work, your set-top box must have an RF aerial output socket (to accept a plug like the one pictured). Also, the set-top box must have something called a modulated output (which means it can re-transmit a signal to a second TV set). Boxes from Sky Digital, Virgin Media and BT Vision (grey models) have these, as do some Freeview boxes.

My box has an RF aerial output socket and they say (Above) that Virgin Media has modulated output..but I still get no signal on the AV channels on the second set.

My virgin box's RF output is on analog TV channel 60. When I rig up a telly to it I use a co-ax lead from the virgin box to the telly aerial socket, then manually tune the telly to channel 60. Digital TV transmissions no longer use channel 60 so it's safe from digi interference. Hope you get it sorted..

That's how I "network" my Sky box, Colly.

RF out from the Sky box tuned to a "spare" frequency into a 4-way amplifier in the loft, then to the TVs we have in various rooms. We then have Freeview on all of them as well as being able to watch the Sky output.

Poohbear, you need to check what channel number the Virgin box uses from it's setup menu, then make sure you tune the other TV's analogue channel to the same frequency, and that the cable goes into the aerial socket of the other TV, not an AV socket.

It's all a bit of a kerfuffle, but once done, it's easy enough.

My virgin box's RF output is on analog TV channel 60. When I rig up a telly to it I use a co-ax lead from the virgin box to the telly aerial socket, then manually tune the telly to channel 60. Digital TV transmissions no longer use channel 60 so it's safe from digi interference. Hope you get it sorted..

So if I run through the channels on TV number 2 I should find it then? bit long winded I know but I've no idea how to find the set up Virgin menu without getting it round my neck.

I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks.

Yes, make sure the TV is in analog mode not digital as the virgin RF output is analog. Could try an analog auto-search if the telly supports it, some will not recognise box RF outputs in auto-search, but will with a manual search, they're weird like that..

This is where it gets complicated!

To check what frequency the box is using, you need to access the Virgin box engineers setup menu. It's quite possible that the default setting clashes with any Freeview multiplexor frequencies.

To check which channel it uses, have a read of http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=740452. You need to make sure that this matches what the other TV is tuned to.

Bring back the old telly...cheapo portable aerial...plug it in...job done.

Everything today either costs you or is soddin' complicated.I'll give it a try in the morning...but no way am I gonna start altering anything. I'll leave that to somebody who knows what they're doing.

Thanks for the advice.

True Poobear things do seem over complicated now. At one time any telly would work with any video, you just tuned a spare button till you found the video output & that was that. Now every telly seems to have a different way of tuning things in, no two are the same.... Rant over...

Modern TV's have to "boot up" like any computer does these days..Mine has four inputs for HDMI, which is handy for the different devices, like the set top box, DVD/VHS player etc, then there are several other inputs and outputs for other things.

It takes about as long to boot up as the old vacuum tube TV's did to warm up..

I'm sure we had better stuff on the 2 poxy black and white4 channels we had years ago compared to the rubbish that's on the hundreds of modern channels.

FOUR channels???????

There were only TWO until I was about 12 years old, and for the rest of the time I lived in the U.K., there were THREE! We didn't get the third channel (BBC 2) for many years 'cause you had to buy a new fangled telly with UHF or something!

When colour came along, my dad would change the channel if there was anything on in B&W!

I'm sure we had better stuff on the 2 poxy black and white4 channels we had years ago

And most of those are now constantly recycled on the Gold / Old / Yesterday channels; so it's like living in the 50s and 60s but with a better telly.

British TV is still miles better than what our friends across the pond have to tolerate. For me, the only channels worth watching over in America are the Weather Channel and Fox News, whereas my husband would sit all day watching old black and white cowboy films!

I've given up trying...first time in 20 years I haven't had a TV in the kitchen.God knows why I can't get a signal. It would be easier to knock a hole in the wall and watch the main set through it.

• Upvote 2

that is so funny poohbear,i had same problem couple of years ago,and best thing i ever did was have a digital radio in the kitchen permantly tuned to radio 4,drives the wife mad,but i love it.

Fox News? A university in New Jersey recently did a survey of peoples knowledge of domestic and international issues based on where they got their news. Those who fared worst watched Fox News! People who claimed to watch or listen to no news at all did better than Fox News watchers! Those who did best got their news from NPR, closely followed by "The Daily Show" - which is a news comedy show!

There is a reason we call it Faux News!

How was I to know that it's a rubbish news channel?!!!! I did know that it's not a patch on BBC News but like I said, the TV in the USA is generally rubbish, but that's only my opinion so don't want you lot over there to take offence unionflagunionflagunionflag

You're right Lizzie. I live here and I feel that way. The news is a bad joke and the rest stinks (my opinion anyway) About the only thing I ever watch is the Westminster Kennel club dog show. It's on about once a year. Dog seems to enjoy it too.

• Upvote 1