I remember the concrete & glass version of the Hearty which disappeared in the 1980s, but I'd never realised there was an earlier version. It's the mock-Tudor place on the right of the photo up Mount Street.

PsRVdAf.jpg?1

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Don't remember the original Cliff? Just shows what a young `un you really are!

When I worked in Town up until the late 60`s, used to have lunch there when I could afford, half of bitter and a cheese and onion cob. Didn't have to meet many customers in those days after lunch!

• Like 1

I remember the place too Friday night after college, used to go downstairs to the "dive bar" listen to loud music and see all the coloured lights

Rog

Girlfriend always bought me last pint in there before she boarded the bus home to Long Eaton circa 66'

I don't remember it but I've seen many photographs of buses in the stands of the old Mount St. Bus Station with the pub in the background.

Top side of it was a Trent booking office and a printers by the name of Willsons, I believe.

The new Hearty Goodfellow obviously didn't last anything like as long as the old one!

Remember the name well, but not the pub.

As an aside notice the two mini's and what I think is a BMC J4 van, I had one of those vans as my first work vehicle when I became a Post Office engineer in the early 70's, had a back to front gearbox! the gate was opposite to a normal 4 speed gearbox, was a diesel and a bugger of a thing to get used to.

Sorry to go OT.

Lived and died in the place when I worked on the Albany Hotel in the late 60s, Both me and the wife when we were courting, always the "Dive Bar". Don't remember the old one though and I wonder if the cranes are building the car park above Mother Care can't imagine them starting the Albany until the buildings in the old picture had been demolished.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I've just joined hellothere

I remember going to the busker's bar at the Hearty Goodfellows, circa 1999/2000. Had some really good nights there. Also went to the 'open' nights at the Flying Horse around that time.

That's the version I remember Cliff ton.

I remember going to the busker's bar at the Hearty Goodfellows, circa 1999/2000. Had some really good nights there. Also went to the 'open' nights at the Flying Horse around that time.

I think (in fact I'm pretty certain) the Flying Horse closed as a pub/bar by the late 1980s, so your memories are going back further than you think.

(Just looked for Flying Oss, Wikipedia says 1989 and 'Lost pubs' site says 1980s)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me where the Hearty Goodfellow pub is/was, please? The subject came up elsewhere and I can't for the life of me remember where it is.

Used to catch the A4 flyer from Mount Street to Eastwood virtually every night when I was “courting”. It’s departure coincided with chucking out time at the Hearty Goodfellow and the bus had quite a few “merry” passengers! One guy used to play a harmonica and others used to sing along. It was just like a chara trip! The times I spent scrabbling under seats helping drunks find their hats, gloves, scarves etc.!

• Like 1