Any of you fellow railway fanatics out there seen or own the book called Nottingham's Railways, produced by Peter Tuffrey and containing mostly photographs by Bill Reed. I went to see my son at his barbers shop yesterday and in walked Bill to have his hair cut. He was a driver at Nottingham Loco until he retired. I worked with him when I first worked on the railway at Nottingham Carriage Sidings. The man must be in his 80s now but still in good health. He has taken literally thousands of railway pics all over the world in the last 60 or 70 years, mostly around the Nottinghamshire area, many on the GCR.

Had it since 1st edition, but I gather there is an updated edition available.

Most helpful they are too. Great selection as well.

A gentleman called T.G. Hepburn was also an avid photographer in and around the Nottingham area,

His pictures show up now and again in some of the railway magazines and books etc.

I think his whole collection is now owned by a company called Rail Archive Stephenson?

Smiffy

T G Hepburn was Nottingham's finest railway photographer - I met him once and he sold me some prints. Authors Ian Brown and Brian Stevenson put a nice selection of his pictures in their publication T. G. Hepburn, Railway Photographer, published by Nottinghamshire County Council in association with RAS Publishing in 1998. The railway gave him trackside passes, resulting in the best local 'action' scenes in the steam days.

• Upvote 2

Another chap I remember was Noel Ingram.

I remember him having a shop in Keyworth called "Paperchase" (I think).

I met him quite a few times and he gave me some copies of his railway colour slides.

Most of these were taken up and down the line south of Grantham, but also the iron stone lines to the south west.

Noel also gave me a cassette recording of a trip he made from Nottingham Vic to Loughborough a few years before the line closed.

On the same tape are recordings he made during the same period but made from the lineside near East Leake.

The weather apparently was terrible with blizzard conditions. He set up his recorder in a plate layers hut to protect it from the snow.

I still have the recording somewhere, will have to find it.

Smiffy

Many of Noel's pics have appeared in Steam World magazine over the last few years. Fantastic they are too.

• Upvote 1

I too have been sniffing around Book Law. Trouble is, any more books and the house will collapse.

• Upvote 2