Radford Boulevard School (1954-1958

• 3 years later...

Hi I was at Radford Boulevard School on these dates,how I wish we could go back just for one day I lived on Salisbury street facing Viriety club I when the to School with Mary Pike Anne Crage to name a few.

I forgot to mention my maiden n America was Patricia Fletcher 

Welcome to Nottstalgia Pattie.

You made your mark by replying to a thread which no-one else had replied to since it was first posted nearly 3 years ago....and jimmylad who started it has never been back here since July 2014.  So it will be interesting to see if you've managed to kickstart it back to life  !

Where was Radford Boulevard school, CT? I knew the road fairly well as a child but can't remember a school. Must have been quite a long way up as children from near the Gregory Boulevard end were at Berridge with me.

And....welcome Pattie. Look forward to reading your posts.

I had to look.......it seems it's the one which is on the corner of Ilkeston Road and Lenton Boulevard.

I'd be interested if anyone knows why it's named after a road it isn't on, and not after either of the roads it is on.

• 1 year later...

I realise this thread is a while ago but here goes...The school is on the corner of Radford boulevard and Ilkeston road. If memory serves me correct, that area was known as "The four nations", Education, Ruination, Inebriation and Salvation. There being a school, pawnbroker, pub and a church on the four corners of the crossroads of Ilkeston road and the boulevard. In my short six months on here I've not found anyone else who was at that school between 1954-58. Was beginning to think I was the only bu99er who went there. I remember some of the teachers names, Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Hallam, Mr. Gunby, Mr. Baker Mr. Tompkinson, Mr. Leek, to name just a few. Our own class teacher was Mr. Edwards, very nice bloke, took a group of us to Ravenstore youth hostel in Derbyshire, that was my first ever holiday or anything near it. I remember some classmates names, one that sticks out was Joey Nelson, who I think lived on Garden street. I used to go with him up to Bulwell cemetery to visit his sisters grave. He had a bike and I borrowed ( I think) his dads bike. Other names come to mind, John Vipond, Terry Julian, Bruce Baker, Kenny Trout, Barry (Spud) Hallet. @Jill Sparrow, if you get to read this, if you walked up Radford Blvd. from Gregory Blvd., past Players, you would eventually come to the school. If you got to Raleigh, you've passed it. Pattie, if your still on NS, we must have been at school at the same time. Although Girls/Boys were separate. We used to eye up the girls at playtime, with a bit of flirting from both side. That's got that load of my chest !! Regards, Billy No Mates?

• Like 4

I know the school but never heard the 'four nations' description of the area. You have a very good memory BK. Ask me about any classmates names and I'll struggle to name more than four and they were all in my last year, I have a terrible memory for names.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Jill Sparrow, if you get to read this, if you walked up Radford Blvd. from Gregory Blvd., past Players, you would eventually come to the school. I

Yes, I remember it, BK, but don't know anyone who went there. Knew Garden Street very well indeed.

Jill you asked where the school was back in  march 2018. So I presume you now are aware. Being a Utopian you must know all around Radford.

Thank you for your input. B.

Cliff ton what happened to Jimmy lad ? Did he just not bother coming back on or found something better to do ? There can't be many that would abandon NS.

There are dozens who've abandoned NS. It's been mentioned several times over the years, and there isn't one single explanation.

There's a massive number of people who've registered, never made one post, and never come back again. I've always put that down to late-night alcohol.

Then there are those who register, ask a couple of questions and make a few posts, and then disappear forever.

Those who just lose interest and get bored; those who forget NS exists and don't realise they've forgotten it; those who visit often but hardly ever post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

I'll remember ya' Cherub. !!:cheers:Especially your kind offer to come and fetch me. B.

Awwww! I was wondering who the NS member with a very big heart was.  Lovely Brew, you’re a good un. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Back when Mick started this forum, forums were popular, they have all tapered off over the years since the onset of places like Facebook, Twitter etc. Some specialized sites are still pretty busy.

Again when the site started, Friends Reunited was going strong and one of our late members checked FR for Nottingham related members and mailed them about this site, many came and registered, but we were a pretty slow site back then, so they didn't linger here.

Most of the new members found us by searching Nottingham related items, plus our page on FB.

37 minutes ago, denshaw said:

This is mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I thought it was known as Ation corner.

Ruination, education, salvation and degradation.

Action or nations ? Whose gonna argue over a letter N. Remember the pub, the church we used to go to for school Christmas service. I can't honestly remember the pawn broker.. I do remember that come lunch time we all had to traipse over to Cottesmore school where our school kitchen and dining hall was. We also had three extra prefab type rooms, these were for woodwork, metalwork and a general classroom. We could choose which we'd like. I chose woodwork, but I remember Spud Ballet making a replica colt 45 cowboy gun. The teacher wouldn't let him put in a firing pin ! I wonder why ? It would've possibly blown his hand off, being mild steel etc.

On 22 March 2018 at 8:11 PM, Pattie said:

I when the to School with Mary Pike Anne Crage

Spelt wrong, but my Auntie Ann & Aunt Mary both Butler Terrace.

Get your cash out & save it mostly likely being demolished, it's not listed.

http://www.nccproperty.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/203-Ilkeston-Road-Particulars.pdf

Some very interesting photos on this download. Brought back loads of memories. Assembly hall upstairs, changing rooms below, shared with girls school (not at same time). Could even see my classroom. Going to see if I can capture the pictures for archives.

14 hours ago, Brew said:

I must have done the same then as BK then. I started an account some years ago and within a very short time my e-mail inbox was overpowered with 'friends suggestions' and 'people I may know'. I closed the account

Only know of one person in Canada, my cousin Yvonne. But was snowed under with loads of pictures of dogs from all over that country. Of no interest to me at all. At 75 , if I don't know folks now I never will.