Radford Boulevard School (1954-1958

7 minutes ago, TBI said:

Thing with Facebook is to simply set up the privacy options to your requirements. That's the reason for being inundated with junk.

Wouldn't know where to start TBI.

I've found loads of old friends, one from my young days, my late Mum and his worked together on opposite shifts, that way they had cheap baby sitters, that was over 65 years back. Caught up with another old mate who I've known for 54 years and lost contact with until FB. My old boss is on my friends list and loads of old workmates from way back, so FB has it's uses. I also started a private group for myself and relatives.

I've been on FB for years and never had any problems with large amounts of junk. All I see is posts from people who I know, and posts made within Groups which I follow. (and quite a few of those include people on Nottstalgia). 

I've also established contact with a lot of people I've known at various times in the past and, without help from FB, I probably would never have met again. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Wouldn't know where to start TBI.

Plenty of online help BK, and members on here who use it I'm sure could assist.

Personally FB has limited appeal to me so I don't use it much.

I was very anti FB at one time but just over a year ago I felt I was losing touch with my family

in Canada so I joined and it's been great to share family memories. I have had one or two strange

friend request but I just delete them.    

• Like 1

If you lot are not seeing the problems I've described then it must be something I did, or didn't do.

I've just googled 'stop notifications on Facebook'. According to FB support you can't turn off notifications entirely. Being a dinosaur any programme that foists their dross on me is always going in the bin

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wondering if anyone can recall the school's layout or even have a picture of the floor plan or something? Would love to propose a refurbishment architecture project which adopts zero demolition on this school but struggling to find more information online. Thanks for any kind assistance! 

Jasonxavier,  I attended boulevard school 1953 to 1958. I'm sure I've got a couple of pictures in my files. Will start a dig out tomorrow for you. Hope this might help. Regards, Beekay.

NB. From memory, I could even draw a floor plan.

55 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Jasonxavier,  I attended boulevard school 1953 to 1958. I'm sure I've got a couple of pictures in my files. Will start a dig out tomorrow for you. Hope this might help. Regards, Beekay.

NB. From memory, I could even draw a floor plan.

Yes, that'll be really helpful! 

I've got some information from this website which shows some of interiors. I believe only the dark corridor photo is showing the single storey classrooms after the east entrance next to the piano shop. https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/radford-boulevard-council-school-nottingham-november-2019.121834/

And the images like sportshall should be showing the north side since it's like a double height space but I don't even know what's happening with the rectangle block since I can't access into this school nowadays. It's such a shame that this building has to be demolished since it was designed by one of famous NG architects. 

Your drawn floor plans will be really helpful and it's okay if it takes time to refresh your mind. It's quite big and comes about like 3 floors from my own gathered info. Thanks again!

The story about that building being demolished has been mentioned on several Facebook Groups, but it's people jumping to conclusions.

It's because this sign has appeared on it - https://goo.gl/maps/ZStCpQwYniuVPxUe7    but the company (All Demolition Ltd) also do other things such as asbestos removal, site clearance etc etc.  They also have one of their signs at the former Grove pub at the end of Castle Boulevard.

• 1 year later...

l started there in 1954/5, and l would not let go of that door entrance to go in, me mam had me horizontal trying to get me in. those photos took me straight back, nothing seems to have changed. The doors seemed HUGE at the time. I was youngest of 7 kids/arabs as me dad would call us.Mial st

2mortar1, I really wish I  could decipher your Avatar picture, but when I zoom in, it just becomes out of focus. If you do get to read this post, I can say that you were at R.B. at the same time as me.

You must remember some of the teachers... Mr. Jim Sullivan, Mr. Baker, Mr. Tompkinson, Mr. Hallam, Mr. Edwards, Mr. Chambers, to name just a few. Did you ever have a crafty fag in the bike shed?

At playtime, Mr Chambers, (P,E.) used to run like the clappers and hide in the boys toilets, so he could catch unsuspecting smokers !

Not knowing your name, if you'd like to swap memories then let me know with a PM.

It's great to find someone who went to 'Bughole' as well as me.

Jill,  thanks for the compliment, (I think ).

2MORTAR1,  yes, that was the years when I was there. I left December 1958. Left on a Friday and started at Hucknall pit on the following Monday. We were at the school at the same time. We could have been in the same class ! As I don't know your name, it's difficult to know. Your age could be different to mine so we could be different age group. Nevertheless, it's nice to talk to someone who went to the same school.

Ps. I'm 78. Born Nov.1943.