(another)Mick Cycles up Freda Avenue for Charity

A friend of mine has just cycled up Freda Avenue a hill gradient of 25%!

Nothing unusual in that I hear you say, but Mick is 70 years of age!

• Upvote 1

Absolutely Fantastic. He deserves to make a lot for his Charity.

I started coughing around the White Van at the bottom of the hill.

That has to be the first time I have heard of anyone able to cycle up there.

Even cars struggle!

WELL DONE MICK

• Upvote 1

All donations go to

the John Eastwood Hospice Trust

http://www.johneastwoodhospice.org.uk/index.htm

The mission of the John Eastwood Hospice Trust is to support its NHS partners in the organisation and delivery of palliative care services, both in the John Eastwood Hospice and in the community by:

• The recruitment, training and organisation of a team of volunteers to support and supplement the professional care staff in the Hospice and the community in order to enhance the environment and quality of life for patients and their families

• The on-going provision of additional resources and higher level services not provided by the NHS

• The development and improvement of the existing facilities for use by the patients at the Hospice

In following the mission, the Hospice Trust will:

• Raise such funds necessary for the on-going commitments and capital expenditures

• Maintain appropriate reserves in order to ensure that the on-going support provided is safeguarded for a reasonable period

I had a drop there last year, 26 ton lorry, drop off 3 ton bricks, not for the faint hearted.

Quickest drop I ever made, hoping & praying the handbrake would hold, scary very scary !

When I was at school a friend of mine(Gordon Price) lived in a bungalow at the bottom of Freda Avenue this was in the early 60s before it was made up at the at that part.

I couldn't cycle down that hill with my knees...

Just had a thought, when I worked at Beeston Boiler Company, I cycled to work, rainy days used to be scary going down the cycle path towards the traffic island at Lenton. I'd grip both brake handles so tight I'd think the cables would break..... Always had to use my feet as back up brakes on that corner.

If I remember correctly Perlethorpe Avenue(runs down to The Gedling School) is about as steep as Freda Avenue

Did that climb once when I was about fifteen.(nearly killed me :) )

Woodborough Road was pretty steep when you were riding a push bike, great coming down it though!!

Used to cycle up Freda Ave regularly when I was on my way from school. Great bit of training for when I was racing.

Doubt that I could do it now, though

i know i could not do it know rob.

we used to go that way to the pit with my dad on a friday to collect his wages have dinner in the canteen clean side only devided from the dirty side for the men in their work cloths by a metal rail, dad would then go for a game of cards at the dirty duck (grey goose for those who dont know its local name). and i would get on the bus to netherfield and then 26 up to cavendidish rd with mums house keeping money,making sure i did not loose it on the way home. but my paper round could be a killer too buxton cromford and belper avenues all big hills bad enough just walking up one but going up and down all three was a killer especialy on comic and magazine day with a gread big paper bag that was half my size,i wasent very big in them dayonly good thing was the further you got the lighter your bag got this was twice a day three times on a saturday morning papers evening papers pluss football postb the time you finished onelot time to start again,luckily for me not so many football posts as evening posts.

• Upvote 4

I also did a paper round that took in Buxton, Cromford and Belper avenues. Sunday morning rounds with all the supplements and magazines was a killer. Used to ride a Raleigh Grifter in them days and that was no lightweight cycle. Second Avenue off Foxhill Road was also a bit of a trial on a bike. Take my hat off to the fella for peddling up Freda Avenue. Nearly killed me self once trying to skateboard down it. I was convinced by my mate Simon Travis it was a good idea.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Mick, next time Mick does a crazy challenge, tell him to set up a page on http://www.justgiving.com/ then if he can get some publicity in the post or other local paper, they should be able to publish the link to his page. It makes it easy for people to make donations online. Plus, on top of what he raises, the charity can also claim an additional 25% from the treasury in gift aid.

I didn't realise their cut would be quite so much, but I suppose running a site like that must cost a fair bit. Still think it's worthwhile if it generates more for the charities than wondering about trying to get people to fill in sponsor sheets.