Forgotten Comedians

I met Freddy 'parrot face' Davis when he came for a visit down Hucknall pit, I was introduced to him, I said "hello" & he totally ignored me, very rude bloke. They took him on a Deep Soft seam face (A6's I think) which was about 3 feet high & very hot & humid. One bloke asked him how much he'd paid? 'Parrot Fizzog' said "what do you mean?" bloke said "we have to pay to see you at work, only fair you should pay to see us at work!" He wasn't a happy Parrot, lol..

My favourite comedian was Ken Goodwin, also like Kathy Burke..

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an old one for you. Norman Evans. Les Dawson's Hero. You can see where Les got a lot of his expressions from.

Takes me back to some great times behind the Bar at Railway club Bulwell...........comedians...Singers...Dancing....and the fruit machine took ''Tanners'' Pint of Bitter and a 'Cherry 'B'.....abo

Harry Worth, his daughter Helen plays Gail in Coronation street. Not a lot of people know that.

I like Al Murray, but I take things too seriously these days. I've lost my sense of humour so Mrs red reckons, but I just don't think anybody understands me anymore.

There is still comedy out there but as far as I'm concerned, not from many of the modern comedians. I was taking part in an amateur panto' once and one of the cast, not the most tactful, spotted an old dear in the audience. He asked, "Have you ever seen Elvis Presley"? "No", she said. " Never spoken to him then". "No", she said. He paused and looked at her. "You soon will though, won't you"? Sick of course, but then there are very few things I haven't heard joked about.

• Upvote 1

The thread prompted me to sort through some of my old books and I came across one from 1980 called “Who’s Who On Television”. In it were numerous comedians including probably lesser known ones and some who I can’t recall. My apologies if some of these have already been mentioned

Stan Boardman – Colin Crompton – Alton Douglas – Mick Miller

Others included Janet Brown – Jasper Carrott – Frank Carson – Charlie Drake – Cyril Fletcher – Larry Grayson – Dickie Henderson – Benny Hill – Frankie Howard – Roy Hudd – Jimmy Jewell – Don Maclean – Cardew Robinson – Terry Scott and Harry Worth.

There was a Canadian guy, Kelly Monteith on the box all of 25 years ago. He just related his own view on British habits and traits. He was very funny. Not like Clive James, who must rank as one of the least funny and most irritating people I have had the displeasure to see.

Definitely an old comedian but a great one - Ken Dodd.

I have seen him several times at some quite run down places, but the show is different each time. Sometimes you hear the same jokes, but what is fascinating is that he does his homework and researches the places he plays at - In Nottingham he made a joke about the council house - "They didnt have council houses like that in Notty Ash - I'm moving to Nottingham if thats a council house! "

His performances are a marathon - he tends not to leave the stage until there is no one left - how he does it I dont know.

The thread prompted me to sort through some of my old books and I came across one from 1980 called “Who’s Who On Television”. In it were numerous comedians including probably lesser known ones and some who I can’t recall. My apologies if some of these have already been mentioned

Stan Boardman – Colin Crompton – Alton Douglas – Mick Miller

Others included Janet Brown – Jasper Carrott – Frank Carson – Charlie Drake – Cyril Fletcher – Larry Grayson – Dickie Henderson – Benny Hill – Frankie Howard – Roy Hudd – Jimmy Jewell – Don Maclean – Cardew Robinson – Terry Scott and Harry Worth.

Harry Worth...now there was a funny man. " My name is Harry Worth I don't know why but there it is" and the shop doorway scene with the outstretched arm showing a mirror image in the window. Priceless!!

• Upvote 1

I never miss an opportunity to do The Harry Worth window scene when I get the chance. :rolleyes: If I don't do it, My husband does. :rolleyes:

Was it Morecambe and Wise, who used to do the scene where one used to look round the door and with there own hand, pull their head back by the hair or round the throat, as if there was some one behind them. Hubbs still does that one as well. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Probably not common knowledge 'cos it ain't true! Gail [insert surname] on Corrie is played by Catherine Helen Wigglesworth (Helen Worth being her stage name). Harry's real name was Harry Bourlon Illingsworth.

• Upvote 1

Probably not common knowledge 'cos it ain't true! Gail [insert surname] on Corrie is played by Catherine Helen Wigglesworth (Helen Worth being her stage name). Harry's real name was Harry Bourlon Illingsworth.

He thinks it April 1st!

Amazing how threads evoke memories,when 'chullah' mentioned 'chick murray' i instantly recalled me Mam singing and Dad standing behind her pulling the faces 'chick' used.,and all the family laughing.

I am sure family laughter was far more prevelent in the 50s,or was i just lucky?

You are right, benjamin1945...laughter was a staple diet of family life back in the 50s.

I think that it was sometime in the late 60s that we forgot to exercise the laughter muscles - unless we were pi**ed.

Pressures of the world and everyday life??????????????????????????????????????????????

• 8 years later...

headliners.jpg?w=640&h=480&auto=compressGBNews so called comedians.......Awful all of em.....

I enjoy GBNews generally...but this lot are just not funny.....