Nottingham Taxis

All the way back in the past I have remembered the taxi's having a cream coloured bonnet. There was talk of that changing but I cannot remember when or if it actually took place.

They stood out a mile and the drivers must have been proud of their vehicles.

Would someone kindly put me in the picture?

Ta.

Still that colour in 63 and the boot was cream as well.

The taxi drivers that I knew were very proud of their taxis and profession.

Only one was a Volvo, my mates and I always tried to get that one. Only managed it once.

you beat me to it cliff ton,and i was going to add.............i'm sure they my Aunts,

In the 60s most were Austin Cambridge / Morris Oxford with the cream bonnet & boot lid.

As well as Fords, a Borgward and even a Panhard but I am probably focusing more on 59-60. :biggrin:

And as for the Volvo, Catfan, IMMIC that was driven by a gent called Aubrey? Either way, we had a Volvo taxi as a very regular customer and car wash user.

YOU tend to remember blokes called 'Aubrey' the one i knew was Aubrey Watson from Gainsford on Bestwood estate,and i'm sure ge was a Taxi driver in the 60s.

Benjamin, definitely one of the drivers was called Aubrey.....late 20s/early30s and a bit skinny from memory.

I thought it was him that could have been driving the Volvo but, if not, he drove either the Borgward or the Panhard.

Yes Trevor it does sound like him,he was tallish slim with fair hair,i remember him as a bit of a 'loner,nice bloke but not a mixer.

Providing we are talking around 59-60, that sounds like Aubrey. Is he still alive?

The old grey matter is opening up....Quiet type that dressed conservative style, kept to himself and would not join in the card games with other taxi drivers that were run at the petrol station on quiet nights.

Preferred to wash and clean his car.

I do not suppose you know other taxi drivers from that era, such as John Bagley?

It's a small world - that is for sure.

Catfan said that he knew the man that owned the Volvo so, if the driver was Aubrey, catfan might be able to tell us more? smile2

It's a small world - that is for sure.

Catfan said that he knew the man that owned the Volvo so, if the driver was Aubrey, catfan might be able to tell us more? smile2

The taxi owner was a bloke called Mick Moorcroft who I think lived at Mapperley, he employed a driver ,did'nt know his name but could have lived at Bestwood.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

No, I think if Nottingham Cabs are still in business, then they would be black or dark green London style cabs.

I notice D & G cabs have changed to green, yellow and white. Look quite good.

• 1 month later...

Yes Commo I believe they were called 'Streamline' if I remember right. I used to drive a Taxi part time back in the mid/late 80's. Started at Abbey cars then Central, (when they had 16 cars) then County, then back to central. Had a detached retina that blinded me in one eye so could no longer pass the medical. Don't think I'd want to do it nowadays..

• 6 months later...

i remember Fon a Car based on peel st. behind fleece pub- when i worked at the Camelot Club- fon a car took us as staff home. Great drivers "india"- "able"- "delta"and "lucky" one night(3.00 am) a driver took me home to Bulwell- not in his usual cortina- maybe his mk3 was due its m o t? He rocked up in a grey cambridge-the type with the cream stripe down each side . Knew it was'nt bog standard- dash was full of gauges and dials- we tore down Hucknall rd. Alongside the common and golf course at a sedate 90mph!! I knew staff jobs were dead earners but...got in the door- i could hear his twin webbers as far as Lawton drive!! I signed the chit- not a word was passed!!

Got into a DG taxi a few weeks ago, for the sake of conversation told the driver - I remember Dave Grant starting this company and advertising for drivers every week in the seventies, yes he said, Dave still drives a cab himself sometimes for a break, was the cabbie taking the Mick or is it still hard to find drivers? And is Dave still alive and with us?