Nottingham Taxis

I used to drive for Steamline in what was called "the office car". This was a private hire but painted as a cab and new drivers were put on it whilst the trained to take their test. Once you had passed your test you moved over to the taxis. The office car had to be off the road at 2am so could not go all through the night.

Best wishes Peter

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread and in the "50's Nottingham"... wondering if anyone might know (or know of someone) that worked for DG Taxi's in 74/75 with the last name of Clark?  I know, really vague, saying that he went by "Nobby" doesn't help for a Clark.  Just taking long shots at this point.  :-) 

• 4 months later...

If you go to YouTube and search Nottingham Slab Square 1950s there is a 1951 film about Old Market Square - and about half way through is a Wolseley Streamline taxi in back and white

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2014 at 8:31 AM, Trevor S said:

Providing we are talking around 59-60, that sounds like Aubrey. Is he still alive?

The old grey matter is opening up....Quiet type that dressed conservative style, kept to himself and would not join in the card games with other taxi drivers that were run at the petrol station on quiet nights.   Preferred to wash and clean his car.

I do not suppose you know other taxi drivers from that era, such as John Bagley?

I knew John as his family lived a few doors up from us on Melrose St in Sherwood. Remember him mainly from when he return from his National Service. Did he have a accident and the taxi turned over?

• 2 years later...

In recent months, every time I drive in and around Nottingham there seems to be a taxi in front of me with a Wolverhampton operator licence. I just thought he was a long way from home but then there were more ……. all different cars so not the same driver and I’m not kidding, it’s every time I go out.  Anyone know why Wolverhampton? 

The laws around licensing private hire vehicles were changed by the government in 2015 to allow local authorities to compete with each other. Wolverhampton charges a lot less than other LAs and now issues far more licenses than the city has PH drivers, while sending its inspectors all round the country to check up on those who are licensed by them.

Daft, isn’t it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-44849364

Lizzie that’s odd you should say that because around Loughborough lately we have seen a lot of Wolverhampton taxis and wondered why?